...life can be translucent

Menu

Hex 23

jeg

visitor
Reaction score
I'd appreciate input about the basic themes of hexagram 23. I just got it with no moving lines. The question was "What can I learn from 2003" The biggest thing about last year was starting self-employed work as a music teacher. Thanx.

Jeg.

frederick

visitor
Reaction score
Jeg -
I found this (Hex 23) to somewhat of a confidence shaker; maybe more of a test.
At times we may find ourselves floating in space and time with no apparent solidity, support. It's not that the rug has been yanked out from under, it just simply went away - along with the floor, walls, and roof. Earth and heaven both apparently found something better to do, but only for awhile.
It is said "Hard rains rarely last all day, high winds change with the tide... Those who do not trust should not be trusted themselves."
Don't let the last part (trust) bother you, as it only refers to the lack of trust of one who tries to fight against the occasions for which nothing can be done, and which always work themselves out in their own time if left alone.
Scattered leaves and shallow puddles. Harmless. No worse off than before.
In some ways better - character building and the like.
Don't fight it. Keep aware of the end - what you're doing and why - your sincerity is your shelter.

Have a great year.

Fred

C

candid

Fred, I liked that. Thanks.

Jeg, I agree, don't let it throw you. Depending on the translation you're using, it could sound like the end of the world as you knew it. But consider: is that really such a bad thing?

I've found 23 to mean changes in one's outlook, or maybe inlook? How we see the world and ourselves is subject to change. This, I believe, is what you can learn from 2003.

Be good to yourself, and beware of too much self-criticism:

"Thus those above can ensure their position
only by giving generously to those below."

C

frederick

visitor
Reaction score
Yes, indeed.
Just keep teaching and learning (and take a breather once in a while).
F.H.

jeg

visitor
Reaction score
Thanx for the ideas!

I've just re-read the Image of 23 from W/B. What do you think of this:

Those above (music teacher) can ensure their position
Only by giving generously to those below (pupils).

I do realise that sometimes I'm also the pupil ~ even (especially) when I'm teaching.

Jeg.

frederick

visitor
Reaction score
Yeah... that's good.

A little more thought time has brought me to an understanding of dealing with the passive obstruction of the mountain.
Especially of Mohammed and how he moved it?
(He didn't go to the mountain?)
Or what my late (and sorely missed) master taught me on how we Embrace the Moon.

Essentially the top lines of Potential (heaven, creative)?
(The perils and folly of senselessly pursuing the unattainable)
and Direction (earth, receptive)?
(The Arrogant Dragon who only ends up battling himself).

Alienation is the warning sign for both. Take heed?

A good, solid cast with no movers?You're going to do great things.

My best as always -
Fred

C

candid

Jeg -

"Those above (music teacher) can ensure their position Only by giving generously to those below (pupils).

I do realise that sometimes I'm also the pupil ~ even (especially) when I'm teaching."

Perfect!

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Fred - that was brilliant. All I can add is that the disappearance of the rug, walls, floor etc can be quite painful if they'd grown into an extension of your skin.

Jeg - I would think that now you've become self-employed (look, no rug...), you've done some 'stripping away' already. Maybe more to go - but presently you clear the rubble, and reach the fertile earth at the centre of 23. Then you just listen quietly for what's growing.

frederick

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks, Hilary -

Didn't some ancient wise guy have something to say about non-attachment...?

F.H.

Y

yellowblue

Any enlightenment on line 5, the shoal of fishes? All my poor mind can relate to at this point is making use of what's left over...

Deb

frederick

visitor
Reaction score
Deb -

A shoal of fishes.(WB)
... lead the others like a string of fishes. (Legge)

...a school of fishes?
Jeg is the teacher...

To carry 5 out even more...
Favor comes through the court ladies.(WB)
...obtaining for them the favour that lights the inmates of the palace.(Legge)

When our daughter performed with her dance class, her mother was so proud; and though I love my daughter as much as life itself, I sometimes felt like an inmate.

Is there a recital in the misty concert halls of the future?

Stretchy? Sure; but not unrealistic...

F.H.

Y

yellowblue

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the example you shared --

Maybe a recital is ahead, but one of a rehearsed stepping in time with the music, or just going along with the flow...

This was a great help.

Thanks,
Deb

C

cheiron

Someone wrote to me, recently, asking whether I thought that Hx. 23 could be harmful if received repeatedly... I said no...

--Kevin

C

cheiron

biggrin.gif

1374.gif

Seasons Greetings to all.

--Kevin

johnro

visitor
Reaction score
Eleanor Roosevelt Wrote:

Many people will walk in and out of your life,

But only true friends will leave footprints in your heart.

To handle yourself,use your head.
To handle others,use your heart.

Anger is only one letter short of danger.
If someone betrays you once,it is his/her fault;
If he/she betrays you twice,it is your fault.

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.

He/she,who loses money,loses much;

He/she,who loses a friend,loses much more;

He/she,who loses faith,loses all.

Beautiful young people are accidents of nature,

But beautiful old people are works of art.

Learn from the mistakes of others,

You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is mystery.

Today is a gift.

Best wishes to you all for Joyful Christmas and

Johnro

gene

visitor
Reaction score
I am not sure what they shoal of fishes means either. In some hexagrams, like 44, having a fish can indicate having something of value, or perhaps a better choice of words would be, not poverty stricken. I am sure it has other meanings too.

I will say this, there are two yin lines in hexagram 23 that are not quite so negative. The third line, and the fifth. Ordinarily, the third line is a difficult line. Here however, it is the only line that has a yang correlate. Since it is connected to a yang line, it is a little more proper than the other lines, and does not necessarily act in the same manner as the other yin lines. The second more positive yin line is the fifth. This line has a secondary relationship with the sixth also. Often the sixth line is a sage who has gone beyond the affairs of the world. Sometimes the sage is a counsellor to the king in the fifth line. Here the king is more likely a queen. As such it is more gentle, more humble, and more responsive to the yang at the top. Though I don't have my books here with me, I believe that the court ladies were ladies that were in one sense, concubines to the king. As such, they give him their "favors." Once again, the line is not so inclined to undermine the ruler, king or queen, as the other lines. And by listening to the sage in the sixth line, the king/queen averts total disaster. In line 6, the sage, here yang, averts disaster as a result of his wisdom and his station, and receives a carriage, while the inferiors, who wished him harm, and tried to destroy him/her, wind up in the very disaster they tried to create for someone else.

Gene

C

candid

The shoal of fishes image usually means to me, a Yin leader who yields to Yang's influence and leads many smaller influences to the light with her.

For example: Let?s say emotions wane dark. Along with this, smaller emotions become unsettled. Soon there are several dark and confusing emotions swirling like a pod of fishes. If I can get the primary Yin (Kun, earth) turned around and heading for the light (Yang, objectivity), all the other more minor Yin elements follow, as a shoal of fishes. In such cases, it is important that no small (yin, dark) influence be overlooked, less the stray fish lead others back to rebellion and confusion. It falls to the light influence to remain firmly resolved, and to remain a positive influence without turning against the dark influences, whereas both would be harmed.

In dealing with weeds,
Firm resolution is necessary.
Walking in the middle
Remains free of blame.

C

joang

visitor
Reaction score
One other thought I would like to add to these observations is that "fishes" suggest to me unconscious thoughts, feelings, beliefs, etc., that swim around just beneath consciuos awareness. Pulling them up to the surface is usually beneficial.

Gene, good to see you posting again!

Namaste,
Joan

sugarlobster

visitor
Reaction score
hi jeg,

dunno about fish - but 23 as a general year hex (and without knowing what might be going on in your life) might mean that 2004 for you will be about getting to the core of things. being able to move beyond the context and the trimmings and the wants and the bells and whistles of it all, and access the kernel - of truth, beauty, peace, awareness or whatever it is that you find at the core. being able to pare things down to the essentials and engaging with them in all their stark magnificence.

sounds good to me, and quite a ride!

love,
xx sl

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).