...life can be translucent

Menu

64.2,3,4,5,6 > 56 - My Hexagrams for 2004

shelley

visitor
Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone!

I'd been planning to ask about the coming year and reading the Annual Hexagrams thread reminded me. My question was: "What do I most need to be aware of in the coming year?" and the answer was 64, lines 2,3,4,5 & 6 changing to 56.

A little background:

2003 has been the year in which I re-established contact with my mother after an estrangement of 22 years (half my life!) Doing so has enabled me to tie up a lot of emotional loose ends and I feel that a lot of changes in me, begun a long time ago, have at last been completed.

64, then came as no great surprise. An important process has been completed. It's time to start something new - to cross another river - and I don't yet know what I'm aiming for on the other side.

My first thoughts on all those moving lines:
A reminder that I'll need to deal with each of those stages? That makes sense. Emphasising the overall message of 64: Don't try to rush things. Take it one step at a time. Get all the information. Get the timing right.

56 has me a bit scared. A major factor in the healing that got me this far has been my involvement over the last 4 years or so with a wonderful social network. For the first time in my life I have been part of a large group of friends. We relate with depth and honesty, with real love. We are mutually very supportive and I feel more loved and respected than I would ever have dared believe possible. Is 56 saying my path leads me away from this? Karcher says, "You are alone, outside the social network, with few connections, on a quest of your own."

Is this a warning not to be so closely tied up with the group dynamic that I might forget how to be self-reliant? Or is that just me softening the message because I can't bear the thought of (Karcher again), "..wandering, seeking and living apart... a stranger in a strange land, whose identity comes from a distant centre."? I've been there, done that and I don't want to live like that again!

During the last few years I have felt I'd found my home at last. I don't want to go wandering again. Can any of you help here?

Love,

Shelley

C

cheiron

Hi Shelley

Can I offer an alternative view of 64.6?

Not sure which Karcher book you use but in one of them he refers to this line representing a failing in the crossing? Humbly ? I don?t go with that.

I think one at this line did cross successfully.
The drinking is a celebration? it was a great and difficult crossing and one is bound to be pleased.

But I think in this line one meets others, some who crossed quite some time before you and who are greatly more experienced. You are the young one of the Great here.

So in this good company celebrate and be welcomed but do not forget your place.

These others might not be actual people but ?connections? ? Heed them carefully ? they know something - something you need to know too - Keep it together and learn from them.

What you learn here is important (it is the most important line in the Hex)... crucial to the crossing... otherwise the crossing was pointless...

A quick note on 56 though? depending on the level you read it at it could actually refer to losing ones central life assumptions / beliefs and setting off to re-form fresh ones. Having to be adaptable to things that come your way?

Watch out for those inns though? they look comfy and safe but things happen in them!

This is a difficult time but there are many wonderful potentials
happy.gif

I will write a little more later if I can. ? There is a ?tool kit / survival kit? hidden in there you know? will try to write it out for you? but there are others around tonight more experienced than I

Warmly

--Kevin

C

cheiron

Hmmm... sorry to come back you have got me thinking (I realy need to grasp 63:64 for myself - it is central to my thread somehow)

64 - Not Yet Crossing

And what is it about in the lines?

Making a crossing which is complete in line 6!!!

So what has not yet been crossed?

Could it be that the real crossing is hidden in that top line?

Back to those connections and 'others' waiting there... Yes, their message might be the crossing.

A thought.

--Kevin

Post Edit: No I may be off the wall here - full of flu - will get back when my head clears - sorry - K

shelley

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Kevin

Thank you for giving time to this. Sorry to hear about your flu.

I feel quite good about Hex.64. I'm not frightened of starting out on a new path/crossing - that feels right for me and I don't mind not yet knowing what it's to be.

What worried me was the references in Hex.56 (I've got Karcher's How to Use the I Ching but most of the other commentaries I've looked at so far mention similar ideas) to being separated from a social group that sounds so much like the one I'm so connected to.

Looking forward to hearing more from you later.

Off to bed now. Good night.

Love,

Shelley

C

candid

Shelly, Good morning!

I can understand your concern of losing your social connections. I don't see 56 as meaning that at all. Its more integrating what is yours alone into your environment. Even in the largest crowds we are alone. But if our crowds are of good people with sound character, we can continue our sojourn unharmed, and can in fact be furthered. The wander is alone among others. Not washed along by prevailing sentiment. Where there is community, she can join in freely, but isn't bound to it whereby she'd lose her self.

C

chrislofting

(deceased)
Reaction score
Shelley,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: I Ching Community Discussion Forum
> [mailto:support@onlineClarity.co.uk]
> Sent: Wednesday, 31 December 2003 9:23 AM
> To: chrislofting@ozemail.com.au
> Subject: 64.2,3,4,5,6 > 56 - My Hexagrams for 2004
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> I Ching Community Discussion Forum: Friends' Area:
> 64.2,3,4,5,6 > 56 - My Hexagrams for 2004
> ------------------------------------------------------------
>
> By Shelley (Shelley) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 10:22
> pm:
>
> Happy New Year everyone!
>
> I'd been planning to ask about the coming year and reading
> the Annual Hexagrams thread reminded me. My question was:
> "What do I most need to be aware of in the coming year?" and
> the answer was 64, lines 2,3,4,5 & 6 changing to 56.
>

Based on the dynamics of this change regardless of context:

64 reflects the notion of remaining open, avoid the closure of 63. Overall the focus is on mixing, group dynamics (and so not as rigid as closure, more relaxed but also prone to the occasional 'slip up' - you can get your tail wet ;-))

The warning here is of the openness being distorted by issues of loyalty (56). To compensate introduce elements of 56's opposite - 60 - set some/apply some standards. - but not too many otherwise the distortion drifts to the 60 side! ;-)

64 overall is a symbol of general integration (bottom yin line) that locally is focused on differentiation (yang top line) thus you need to put work in to remaining open.

Chris.

shelley

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Candid & Chris.

Thank you. What both of you say makes sense to me, yes.

Having slept on it, it occurs to me that, with many of my old, old 'issues' pretty much laid to rest (blissful rest!) there are fewer pressing 'me' matters demanding my attention so I can be less self-centred. This is good but brings with it a danger of starting to feel swamped, of losing my identity in the crowd. Or of becoming complacent - much has been achieved but, as Hex.64 reminds me, Completion is still a long way off!

Forewarned, I need only remember that whilst remaining part of the group I am also the wanderer of Hex.56, bringing my own unique gifts to the mix. Flying in loose formation, we're all connected but are not defined by one another or by a 'group identity'. (That is, indeed, how it seems to work - I wish I could describe to you the overlapping swirls that make up this amazing network but it would take far too long.)

I've just read the Coates interpretation, too, which also helps.

Chris, thanks for the pointer to 60 for advice about the means by which I can avoid blurring of my boundaries. That definitely feels right to me.

Sorry this is a bit incoherent - I'm working it out as I go along. I'll post more when I'm clearer and I look forward to hearing anything you or anyone else might have for me.

Love,

Shelley

shelley

visitor
Reaction score
Damn!

After all that, have just realised that 64.2,3,4,5,6 doesn't change to 56 at all!!! It's 39.

Not looked properly at 39 yet. Sorry for wasting yor time on 56!

More later.
Love,

Shelley

chrislofting

(deceased)
Reaction score
Shelley,

you wrote:
>
> Damn!
>
> After all that, have just realised that 64.2,3,4,5,6 doesn't
> change to 56 at all!!! It's 39.
>

doesnt matter - still a distortion from 64. to compensate for the 39 use elements of 38. The method of analysis is ANY change is a distortion of the 'archetype' expression and as such takes one away from that path. TO 'deal' with the distraction introduce elements of the opposite hexagram to put one back on the 'path' of the archetype - unless you dont like the archetype and so want to explore the distortion! ;-)

The other method is to interpret this as a 'true' change - 64 into 39. That is 'positive' rather than negative. 39 reflects not only dealing with obsticles but also becoming one in the form of fighting against the mindless flow - becoming an island in a rough sea ;-)

the relationships are 'context-free' as patterns, universals as such. to get a 'better' fit to the particular context you may need to use the questions approach - very generic but can be useful in 'zooming-in' on a situation (http://pages.prodigy.net/lofting/lofting/proact3.html)

Chris.

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Whoever it is, please stop tickling Candid!
biggrin.gif

He's been chuckling and laughing in several threads already.

Didn't I tell you to stay away from the mescaline?? At least pass some around...
happy.gif

L

shelley

visitor
Reaction score
Working on the assumption that my mistakes aren't necessarily entirely accidental, I guess the message from my 'Inner Sage' was, "Before you look at the real answer to this question, have a think about Hex.56, would you? It will help you get the best out of Hex.39"

'Cos what do I find in 39 but advice to use the help and support of others to overcome the obstacles in my path. Approaching it via my 'accidental' foray into 56, I'm warned not to overdo the reliance on those others, as I might have been tempted to do.

Thanks again Chris. Openness is the game, then, and not a Hex.2 kind of openness, more a requirement to be aware of the balance & interplay of Yin & Yang; to be prepared to flow with whichever is most appropriate in the moment in order to navigate around the obstacles or wear them away as necessary. I think I can handle that. With a little help from my friends, of course.

Love,

Shelley.

ps. Luis, I only made him laugh once on purpose! This one was just a D'oh! moment!

C

cheiron

Oops Just caught up on the thread Shelley...

doh!

Pass the big M please Candid... my turn to

Chuckle

Happy new year all

--Kevin

C

candid

Luis and Kevin,

Picture yourself in a boat on a river,
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly,
A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.

Happy New Year Everyone!

What year is it again?
howmuch.gif

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Year of the Monkey...

About the girl, I hope Kevin is not the jealous type...
biggrin.gif

Happy New Year!!

Luis

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).