...life can be translucent

Menu

Line 62.1

cris

visitor
Reaction score
This is one of those combinations which puzzle me. The line talks of ill fate, however the relating hexagram is 55, Abundance. What is your take on this? Does it indicate that temporary misfortune will lead to success? Or is it rather one of those cases where the relating hex constitutes the background of the question, e.g. the querent has reached the highest peak in a condition and now faces a pitfall, or the querent has lots of possibilities but no good luck?

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Six at the beginning means:
The bird meets with misfortune through flying.

This is the hexagram of the flying bird, the crane mentioned in 61. The crane is the symbol of the ascending spirit of the dead, a crane emblem often being placed atop coffins. In line 1 it is not yet time for the spirit to depart, so premature flight leads to misfortune.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopomp

cris

visitor
Reaction score
Exactly. How to relate this misfortune to Abundance?

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
Exactly. How to relate this misfortune to Abundance?

to me , 55 has to do a lot with choices and usually not easy ones. usually comes to me during tough times.

62.1 just warns that if the bird will choose to fly then it will face misfortune.
sometimes when we face a dilemma we rush to choose one thing or another just to finish it. I think Bradford also talks about decisions in his 55. Maybe here in 62.1 would be more efficient if we hold a bit .

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I'll reply if you answer me this: What abundance do you suppose the 'abundance' of hexagram 55 to be?

Great response....because its what the answer to Cris's query rests on

its effective to ask questions back sometimes.....it should be done more often

cris

visitor
Reaction score
Very interesting article, Trojan. In my rambling throught the forum I had not yet come across it. I was familiar with interpreting the relating hex as the question's background. Quite new, and enlightening, is instead the concept of the querent's subjective background:

This is the part of the reading where you get to see yourself: it’s where you stand in relation to everything that’s going on, or what you aspire to or fear, or the direction you’ve pointed yourself in, or what this whole chapter in your life is about.

This offers a good insight on how to relate 62.1 and 55. The bird is aiming at the highest sky, Abundance's zenith, but has not come to terms with its unpreparedness. I wonder if there are other ways to interpret this.

cris

visitor
Reaction score
I'll reply if you answer me this: What abundance do you suppose the 'abundance' of hexagram 55 to be?

The reply to this was in my initial post already: success, highest peak, lots of possibilities.

cris

visitor
Reaction score
to me , 55 has to do a lot with choices and usually not easy ones. usually comes to me during tough times.

62.1 just warns that if the bird will choose to fly then it will face misfortune.
sometimes when we face a dilemma we rush to choose one thing or another just to finish it. I think Bradford also talks about decisions in his 55. Maybe here in 62.1 would be more efficient if we hold a bit .

Thanks Maria. I had not seen Abundance this way - of possible choices. It sheds a different light on the combo.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Very interesting article, Trojan. In my rambling throught the forum I had not yet come across it. I was familiar with interpreting the relating hex as the question's background. Quite new, and enlightening, is instead the concept of the querent's subjective background:

This is the part of the reading where you get to see yourself: it’s where you stand in relation to everything that’s going on, or what you aspire to or fear, or the direction you’ve pointed yourself in, or what this whole chapter in your life is about.

This offers a good insight on how to relate 62.1 and 55. The bird is aiming at the highest sky, Abundance's zenith, but has not come to terms with its unpreparedness. I wonder if there are other ways to interpret this.

55 is can easily be overwhelm....too much. Becasue of the title 'abundance' people seem to think its a 'good' hexagram whereas often as not its a time when one can't see the wood for the trees, its all too much. I think 'profusion' is a much better description for 55 than 'abundance'. Think of a day when theres so much coming at you from all sides you can't think straight. They may all be opportunities, good ones, but if you can't prioritise, if you can't figure what you realistically can and can't do you could mess everything up

I think its like the modern disease where people say 'yes' to everything but honour and fulfil nothing...people can over commit even socially saying yes i will come to your party and yes I will go here and go there and also attend this and that but they over estimate the time and energy they have and so let others down. That is why especially in a time of profusion one must clearly prioritise and attend to things decisively according to what one is able to do. To me thats how 62.1 may relate to 55. 62.1 is definatley about considering what one is able to do.

one can see how if a small bird doesn't stay low to the ground and limit possibilities the it could all be terribly overwhelming ?

In general for me 62.1 warns I am about to try to do something I cannot do. I recently had a very bad ankle sprain and asked if I would be able to go somewhere the following day as there was so much on i wanted to go to....I got 62.1. Geez i couldn't even walk across the room let alone go outside !

silly silly bird eh...plus I sprained the ankle when i had so many things happening it did feel simply 'all too much'

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score

Yes theres lots of good stuff in Hilarys blog I think alot of people never see. Its up under the heading 'Blog' yet easy to miss.

Its about time we had a FAQ section for things like the function of the relating hexagram...and other er Frequently Asked Questions

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
The reply to this [What is Abundance?] was in my initial post already: success, highest peak, lots of possibilities.

'The bird meets with misfortune through flying' is a conditional misfortune. If it waits for the right time there is no misfortune to relate to Abundance.

S

sooo

The pass is narrow, but the mountain it crosses is very big; so big it makes you comparatively feel very small, hence the sense being overwhelmed, as in 55. The sense of abundance is brought into narrow space, and low is only relative to the height upon which you stand, and your surroundings. If your abundance sticks out like a sore thumb (or six scorpion stings), the likeliness is greater of meeting misfortune. This is the only place in the Yi I know of that encourages mourning as a virtue. Prudence is a given, even when it feels like your head and heart wants to s'plode :eek:

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
I received the following in my mailbox yesterday. Somehow step 48 reminded me a lot of 62.1>55

http://maps.google.com/

1: Open Google Maps (directions)
2: Type China as your starting point.
3: Type Taiwan as your destination.
4: Read step 48.
5: When you stop laughing, pass it on!

Cris, if you check Lise's site, you will find a story about 55. It has influenced a lot the way I see 55.

cris

visitor
Reaction score
:rofl: at step 48!

ευχαριστώ Maria. Thanks also to Bruce and Trojan. Intriguing insights on 62.1 / 55.

For years, during my on / off relationship to the Yi, I have been interpreting the relating hex as the mechanicistic outcome of the moving lines - aka the resulting hexagram. I still find it difficult to refrain from thinking of this causal relationship. I've had a look at my journal of castings, and it's mind-boggling how much closer to reality the readings are if the relating hex is seen as the conditions, attitude, motive. Great learning.

S

sooo

For years, during my on / off relationship to the Yi, I have been interpreting the relating hex as the mechanicistic outcome of the moving lines - aka the resulting hexagram. I still find it difficult to refrain from thinking of this causal relationship. I've had a look at my journal of castings, and it's mind-boggling how much closer to reality the readings are if the relating hex is seen as the conditions, attitude, motive. Great learning.

Fwiw, Cris, I usually find that the 'changing' hexagram is usually returned to at the end. So it may start off as the contextual field of the matter: this is about that, but returns to it again at the end, not necessarily as a result, but what was a field now becomes a path. What was a circumstance, now becomes a direction.

cris

visitor
Reaction score
(...) what was a field now becomes a path. What was a circumstance, now becomes a direction.

How nicely put, Bruce. A circular structure... How would you apply that, for instance, to the 62.1 > 55 combination?

S

sooo

How would you apply that, for instance, to the 62.1 > 55 combination?

When I was stung several times by bark scorpions while in my sleep one night, I got up and was reacting to the venom and shocks. Questioning if I should call 911, drive to the emergency room, or just ride it out quietly, I got 62 repeatedly. There's a thread on it somewhere here. What was most striking was how it felt so big, yet I felt so small. I don't exactly recall if I had 62.1, but it would have fit well if I did. I had to make a big decision, a judgement (55), a path, to make a fuss with bright lights and maybe a siren blazing, or to calm myself, take some extra heart arrhythmia medication, and sit in my chair and ride it out quietly, which is what I did.

Ever since that experience, I have a renewed perception of 62. Smallness is what is usually played up, and greatness is played down, but in reality, there's nothing small about thunder or mountain. So I surmise that what is small is me and what is narrow is the path or way across it.

On this, as on a lighthearted spin on quantum theory, it's great to contemplate what is small.

cris

visitor
Reaction score
Quick update

In the context of my question, 62.1 meant the opportunity I was inquiring about needed time (around 9 months) and preparation to manifest itself. It finally did, and it was quite successful. In hindsight... not ominous at all!

kafuka

visitor
Reaction score
Well, I got 62.1>55 as a weekly reading for the last week; I asked what to expect.
I spent lots of time worrying about coming out to my boyfriend, what to tell him and when to tell him, asking Yi many, probably even silly, questions about the future. I was really tempted to tell him on Thursday but didn't like the reading and gave up on doing it that week because we weren't supposed to see each other since Friday to Monday. Surprisingly the plans changed and we spent a car ride together on Sunday late afternoon and I did it, I told him.
I have no idea if there'd be a misfortune if I didn't wait until Sunday and tried to tell him earlier, or the misfortune will come later anyway. I just had to tell him because it was a huuuge burden for me and I couldn't sleep for weeks.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).