...life can be translucent

Menu

Buy or build a house

just_me

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I wonder if I could get interpretations on this reading. I want to buy a house but where I live they are very expensive (compared to a lot of places). So I queried the Oracle to find out what I would have the most success with. My first query was: "What about buying a house?" to which I got 20 locked. My interpretation of this is that I'll be looking for a long time. My second query was: "What about building my own house?" And I mean mostly by myself with as little outside contracted work as possible. That may seem extreme but I'm familiar with tools and working with my hands and have had a little construction experience and when I put my mind to it I can accomplish a lot (as can we all). Any way for this I got 34, changing lines 2 and 3 to 16.
The second reading would seem positive to me but I would be interested in what you people would have to say.

Thank you.

arien

visitor
Reaction score
34 lines 2 and 3 change to 51, not 16

no clue as to whether you should build it or not, but dont forget to install a lightning pole
happy.gif

Anyway, I think that you didndt ask what you really wanted to know, you merely asked what if... and so, a simplistic approach would be 20 for looking for a house (as you say), and 34 cause you sure will need strength and power to build it on your own

just_me

visitor
Reaction score
Oh my God, I'm such an idiot, I don't know how I could have come up with that. I'm usually more careful than that. Thanks Arien for your correction and your advice.

just_me

visitor
Reaction score
Arien, how would you phrase a question for something like this? Also, on 34, line 2 is pretty positive but line 3 says "inferior man working through power..." and "A goat butts against a hedge and gets his horns entangled". Which one would be the more applicable line?

arien

visitor
Reaction score
Just_You,
I think youre doing fine, I would probably have started just like you did, trying to capture the mood. Then I might actual pose the dilema, simply "how should I get my new home", or "what will be best for me, buy or build", or even "should I buy or should I build"
I have some differences of opinion as to what can and should be asked. If the answer makes sense to you, it doesnt matter how you phrased the question, and the Yi can even answer yes-and-no, if you know how to discern (not always easy, but nevertheless possible)

For complex and important matters, I would follow a successive refinement procedure, asking more detailed questions (ususally the points left blank by the overall qeustions) as I proceeded

You can also do one of the multiple "spreads" that are used for tarot for instance. One simple thing is to have two columns, one for each option, and ask benefits of A, then benefits of B, then adversities of A, then B, etc. LiSe also has an interesting spread on her site, with 9 hexagrams. Thats about the most that can be absorved at any one time by human minds

Finally, say you decide to build, you can switch to the "how's", "how will I find good and cheap materials" (let me in on that one), "should I resource to external contracters", etc

And if after all this asking and reading you still have some energy left to find a new home, then I wish you good luck

oh, and as for 34 line 3, it can indeed mean a stubborn approach, which isnt helped by the change to 51. General consensus also say the top line is more important. Only you can know if you are being too self confident or what. Anyway, nothing that a couple more questions cant fix

soshin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Just You...

20 seems to be a message like "look around for a good home to buy, but it will need a little time to get a good one. (the ablution has been made, but not yet the offering)"

34.2+3 seems to be a warning to make as much as possible on your own out of a stubborn and exuberantly self-confident approach (line 3).

And line 2 is self-explaining in the Wilhelm version:

"Nine in the second place means:
Perseverance brings good fortune.

The premise here is that the gates to success are beginning to open.
Resistance gives way and we forge ahead. This is the point at which, only too
easily, we become the prey of exuberant self-confidence. This is why the
oracle says that perseverance (i.e., perseverance in inner equilibrium, without
excessive use of power) brings good fortune."

And 51.... Well....

From what you asked until now, I would prefer to wait a little until a nice home is available for sale or rent in this neighborhood.

Namaste,

Soshin

shelley

visitor
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Just a thought - could Hex.20 be about looking in a wider sense than simply looking for a house? I mean taking a step back & looking at the whole situation from a different perspective. For instance, you might find, JustMe, that your dreamhouse is for sale at a price you can afford in an area you hadn't thought of looking in or that there's a house available that needs a lot of work (which would give you the chance to use those building skills of yours without starting from scratch) or even that, on closer inspection, you'd be better off staying put for a while.

I wonder whether the obvious relevance of 'looking' to your question about buying a house might be a distraction from the wider meaning.

Love,

Shelley

D

dharma

I, too, am looking to buy a home these days with many people around me offering advice on the best way to go about it.

One thing that has been made clear to me is that the "asking" price is not the "wanting" price but merely the "asking", and as such, it is not fixed.

Don't waste time looking for homes only in your price range. Go into slightly higher ranges with the understanding that the seller actually expects the buyer to offer much less than the "asking" price.

Remember that the true price of any house is the price that it finally sells for - not what the seller is asking for, nor even what the real estate market is listing it at.

Also remember that each seller has a different reason for selling and so in some cases they can easily be persuaded to accept your offer even if it's drastically lower than what they had hoped to get.

I believe that the perfect home is out there waiting for you somewhere and if you set your sights a bit higher in a practical way (price range) as well as in a metaphorical way (hexagram 20) you will find it.

Hope this helps & Good luck!
Dharma
happy.gif

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I got my computer thanks to 34.3
If you translate it as literally as possible, it says: "small people use vigor, the noble one uses nets. Determination: danger".

In my circumstances a computer was absolutely impossible. I live with an artist who accepts only pure, simple, straightforward things. Even a faucet took many years before we got one. There was a hole in the floor, and when you dived into it, you could open the main faucet, and a yet of water landed over your head and your back in a strategically placed bucket. So you can imagine about a computer!

The Yi told me about the net. So I made everything ready, if there would be a 'yes', I could order and get it within one day. I waited patiently for the right moment, my net was in the right spot, and then one tax-manual was not available anymore in print, only electronic.
We told our wonderful artist, that before long there would not be any good manual in print anymore, and a computer was essential.

Well, he said yes. Next day I had my computer. The day after he said "you women are smart . ."
And laughed about it.

LiSe

just_me

visitor
Reaction score
Wow, thank you all for your help and thank you Dharma for passing on that info about buying a house. That's really encouraging.

LiSe, I really like that translation and stories about the practical application of the I Ching are always interesting. Thanks.

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Ahem, excuse me, but anybody say welcome back to Dharma?

Hi Dharma!
happy.gif

Luis

D

dharma

Hi Luis
happy.gif

hadn't considered myself "returned" quite yet, but hey, maybe you've sensed something even I missed
biggrin.gif
and perhaps this is as good as it's gonna get

besides Luis, you've got special cauldron-handles-seeing abilities that I wouldn't even consider messing with so I guess you'll be seeing me around ... now and then

Dharma
1472.gif

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Ah, a mysterious woman and a veiled promise...
biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR SIZE=0><!-Quote-!><FONT SIZE=1>Quote:</FONT>

besides Luis, you've got special cauldron-handles-seeing abilities that I wouldn't even consider messing with so I guess you'll be seeing me around ... now and then<!-/Quote-!><HR SIZE=0></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I only use those abilities for good. I promise.
spin.gif

Efforts at some humor are even called chaos (sigh). Makes me wonder... I prefer to see it as as dealing the Fool card in a Tarot reading. You never know where it would take you...
happy.gif

Luis

D

dharma

Just_Me,
hope your house-hunting continues well (forgive me though while I use your page to say hello to a couple of friends -thanks.)
happy.gif

Shelly,
with an array of color...
1477.gif
to you too!
p.s. just noticed that our offering to Just_Me was in a way quite similar.
happy.gif

Luis dear,
you say that you use your special powers only for good - but whose good are we speaking of here??
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
hmmm... sneaky use of words to cover up shrewdly considered designs, perhaps? afterall, what is good is often quite relative, n'est pas?

also, you would have us believe that playing The Fool is merely the silly antics of a feather-brained innocent with nothing but fluff for brains. But...! traditionally, the job of the court-jester is to entertain with masterful intent which ultimately requires the deft skills and consummate expertise of a proficient prankster!

thus, based on your M.O., I submit that you are no innocent fluff-brain acting in anyone's personal best interests but a hard-core, shorts-stealing ride-em-up-the-flag-pole rascal, with a shockingly long track record of leaving members exposed and vulnerable and unable to decide whether their front-side or their back-side needs covering most!
biggrin.gif

friends, members, people... this is serious stuff!!
biggrin.gif
clown.gif
spin.gif

I propose that one Luis Andrade is guilty of buffoonery of the wickedest kind and as a repeat offender he is unlikely to ever reform his ways, until and unless, his own behavior is subjected to the same bare-arsed scrutiny and examination that he has already, and will yet again (given half a chance) foist upon each one of us here.

The proof to substantiate my claims against Mr Andrade are too numerous to present here in totality. So we must remember that merciless glee in his eye and those unabashed big-grins as the latest victims' shorts is raised to the wind.

Consider the safety of our halls should he be allowed to remain at large and continue to sneak up behind the true innocents around here. Witness "Exhibit A"
1478.gif

Need I say more?
wink.gif

Well then, I present to you "Exhibit B" -Luis fleeing the scene of his latest daring
<CENTER>
1479.jpg
</CENTER>

Look carefully, though he manages to look like an innocent fluff-ball making his escape, the guilt is present in every step that he takes.

How much longer, I ask, will we let him get away with his mischievous shenanigans?

<CENTER>Look at us all just standing around...
Come-on now!!
all together, I really think we can take him!
bounce.gif
</CENTER>

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
OUCH!!

Yup, Dharma is BACK!! I knew it! I missed you girl!
happy.gif

Now, if you look at that picture closely, that's not a rain puddle: I'm peeing on myself!!! Ballsy cat but wise enough to know when to be afraid...
biggrin.gif

And here "Super Lu" takes an exit thru the left followed by ominous music... (Heck, I can't even hide behind an Anon even if I ever wanted to, so I'll enter thru the right again...)
blush.gif

L

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score

front-side or their back-side needs covering most!<!-/Quote-!><HR SIZE=0></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, what's wrong with nudity?? (emoticon withheld on account of appropriateness)

L

D

dharma

you're a good sport, Super Lu.
biggrin.gif

'tis always a pleasure to 'spar' with the best

i'll return again in a few weeks and strike
1480.gif
when you least expect it
mischief.gif

well now, i gots to keep you sharp and on your toes somehow
wink.gif

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning. I'll be waiting for you...
1481.gif

happy.gif

L

D

dharma

It's okay Dharma, you can use me anytime you want.<!-/Quote-!><HR SIZE=0></BLOCKQUOTE>

if 'anytime' is the same as 'anyway'
that is waaay cool
1489.gif

(licks end of pencil to update list)

Luis (check)
Just_Me (check)

1490.gif

just_me

visitor
Reaction score
You pick the time Dharma and I'll pick the way

Dharma (check back at ya)

just_me

visitor
Reaction score
Jeez, I was just funnin' with you Dharma, no need to get all silent on me.
blush.gif

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Don't worry, she'll crack your head open in due time. Be patient.
biggrin.gif

1495.jpg

L

D

dharma

<CENTER>lots of patience required ...get tips from Luis

(in the meantime, a good superhero suit won't hurt)
wink.gif
...again, get tips from Luis

insider information:
Not silent treatment
Juggler practising hand-eye coordination on latest target known as Just_Me
1497.gif

helpful if Just_Me become more visible

first I needs to juggle them
then I cracks them...
bounce.gif

...all up</CENTER>

just_me

visitor
Reaction score
Dharma, your will is strong, you chi is powerful. I've lowered my invisibility cloak for you.

D

dharma

<CENTER>Ahhh ...
(squinting and coming closer)
the invisible man,
is it?
1499.jpg

happy.gif
</CENTER>

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,