...life can be translucent

Menu

Urgent! Study or not?

yxeli

visitor
Reaction score
I've just been offered a place on an art course for a year. To most eyes it looks like a regression because its a course to prepare a portfolio to get into college, and i'm in the position of already completing a diploma and degree in art related fields. I'm in two minds about accepting the place.

I need to decide by tomorrow (friday) morning so any small bit of wisdom you could send my way would be greatly appreciated.

I asked 'what would happen if i did the course?'

34.5 > 43

and

'what will happen if i don't do the course?''

42.2 >61

I understand from the first reading that stubborness (line 5) in only one direction falls away and I may do the course, and that i will have more experience then most but i might be able to help the others along (43)

The second reading seems to be to be even more optimistic? That if i dont accept the place, a spiritual teacher will come along?

Thanks everyone!

Yxx

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
I'm preparing my portfolio too so maybe i'm a bit biased, but a portfolio its the 43 for an artist. So here 43 could be your current situation , the choice you have to make but maybe Yi tries to make you ponder on how much you need that course or not. The question Yi ask you maybe has to do whether this course is really a regression or not.

without knowing your other alternatives or the pro and cons of this course, maybe your interpretation of 42>61 is the right one, but sometimes 61 comes to me when i need to "delay executions" .

I don't think Yi would ever say do it or no do it , so I read both reading as contemplate on it and see if you really need it or not. What are the gains or the losses if you enroll or not.

good luck

boyler

visitor
Reaction score
Study.

In the Forest of Changes poem for 大壯之夬 (34-43) says:

桃李華實, Blossoms and fruits of peaches and plums,
纍纍日息。 Strung together, they daily grow.
長大成熟, Growing up to became great and ripe,
甘美可食, And, sweet and beautiful, they can be eaten,
爲我利福。 So becoming my benefit and blessing.

while poem for 益之中孚 (42-61) says:

戴盆望天, Wearing a bowl on the head and looking at heaven,
不見星辰, One does not see the planets and stars.
顧小失大, Attending to what is small, one loses what is big,
福逃牆外。 And the blessings run away outside the walls.

So I would say, go for the first answer.
HTH

cris

visitor
Reaction score
Forest of Changes

Hello boyler,

do you have a translation of the Forest of Changes to share? I've seen other threads on this subject but cannot find a source.

Thanks! :bows:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I've just been offered a place on an art course for a year. To most eyes it looks like a regression because its a course to prepare a portfolio to get into college, and i'm in the position of already completing a diploma and degree in art related fields. I'm in two minds about accepting the place.

I need to decide by tomorrow (friday) morning so any small bit of wisdom you could send my way would be greatly appreciated.

I asked 'what would happen if i did the course?'

34.5 > 43

and

'what will happen if i don't do the course?''

42.2 >61

I understand from the first reading that stubborness (line 5) in only one direction falls away and I may do the course, and that i will have more experience then most but i might be able to help the others along (43)

The second reading seems to be to be even more optimistic? That if i dont accept the place, a spiritual teacher will come along?

Thanks everyone!

Yxx

I think in 34.5 theres no dispute to go on with...its easy to let it go...so reading between the lines (no pun intended ;)) I feel you could easily let this go. It couldbe the urge to do it has more to do with past security needs (of some kind) than what is needed now ?

42.2 does look fortunate, though I can't see why you'd think it would mean a spiritual teacher, in particular, would manifest. perhaps itsmore like if you focus on current activities 'blessings' and increase arrive as in it just enables you more, enriches you more.

I don't think this says do it or don't do it.....but I think you may in the end you not especially want to do it or would not have much regret to let it pass. I feel you have already decided to let it go...

The next post may prove me wrong on that :D

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Study.

In the Forest of Changes poem for 大壯之夬 (34-43) says:

桃李華實, Blossoms and fruits of peaches and plums,
纍纍日息。 Strung together, they daily grow.
長大成熟, Growing up to became great and ripe,
甘美可食, And, sweet and beautiful, they can be eaten,
爲我利福。 So becoming my benefit and blessing.

while poem for 益之中孚 (42-61) says:

戴盆望天, Wearing a bowl on the head and looking at heaven,
不見星辰, One does not see the planets and stars.
顧小失大, Attending to what is small, one loses what is big,
福逃牆外。 And the blessings run away outside the walls.

So I would say, go for the first answer.
HTH

Why :confused: do you see these poems as over riding the Yis answer. 42.2 is not about wearing a bowl on the head or blessings running away, quite the reverse...so how does it relate to an I Ching answer ?

Last edited:

boyler

visitor
Reaction score
do you have a translation of the Forest of Changes to share? I've seen other threads on this subject but cannot find a source.

AFAIK there is no translation of the Forest, but some people are working on it independently - and I happen to be one of them - patience ;)

boyler

visitor
Reaction score
Why :confused: do you see these poems as over riding the Yis answer. 42.2 is not about wearing a bowl on the head or blessings running away, quite the reverse...so how does it relate to an I Ching answer ?

Nothing overrides nothing. Same idea, same images, different words. Besides the point isn't in the Second Six of ䷩ Yi (益), as much in ䷼ Zhong Fu (中孚), and it's not as much in ䷼Zhong Fu (中孚), as it is in ䷽ Xiao Guo (小過).

charly

visitor
Reaction score
Hello boyler,

Hi Cris:

Partial work of different translators, by innitiative of Harmen Mesker, are available at LiSe site:

http://www.yijing.nl/i_ching/tetragram/index.html

About the YiLin in Hamen´s site:

http://www.itcn.nl/serendipity/archives/102-The-Yilin-in-2007.html

In Sturgeon´s Chinese Text Project there is a facsimilar page by page scanning of the 1808 chinese editon:

http://ctext.org/library.pl?if=en&file=79487&page=2&remap=gb

A chinese Big5 text from 64.gua.com:

http://www.64gua.com/ebook/jsyl/

There isn´t any complete translation available.

Yours,

Charly

yxeli

visitor
Reaction score
interesting stuff here guys! thanks...

Its actually out of my control for the minuite. I'm waiting to see if i'm eligible for funding so we'll see how that goes...

I think i got 'spiritual teacher'' from a translation I referenced, not sure which one.

I think your right Trojan, i'm not that pushed- but it would be a swift kick up the butt to order my life abit more, need some routine badly atm..

Thanks these different translation are really interesting- good to have them on a thread I started for future reading :)

Yxx

cris

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you

Cheers Charly! :)

I had seen the materials available on LiSe's sight. Unfortunately the links in Chinese are not helpful due to my inability to read / understand it. I'll be waiting for progress in the traslations...

yxeli

visitor
Reaction score
update::

I accepted the course and got funding. Start on Monday!

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
update::

I accepted the course and got funding. Start on Monday!

Good :) so its like for the question "what if i don't do the course" Yi leapfrogged the question and just showed the funding in 42.2.

I find it often does this..not answering the direct question put but showing what is going to happen in relation to it anyway. See it didn't even entertain the idea you weren't going to do it, even though thats what you asked, because the funding was there with your name on it . How does one know when Yi is doing this and not answering the direct question ? I can kind of know now for myself ...but even then it still suprises me it does this

For example if I ask "how will the party be on Sunday ?" and Yi says something to the effect of 62.6 I might think 'hmm I better not get blind drunk and make a complete prat of myself and proposition that guy I fancy'.....but during the week i fall and break my ankle while running for an appointment I can barely make with so much time pressure and unrealistic aims so can't even go to the party it seems Yi was already indicating that about the bigger upcoming event, broken ankle, than how the party might be...since i was not in the course of events going to to the party

I reckon we need to come our mind quite open aorund the answers especially when seemingly unusual...like its hard to see how not doing something =42.2 but you were never really not going to do it...Yi knew and showed the funding.

yxeli

visitor
Reaction score
'hmm I better not get blind drunk and make a complete prat of myself and proposition that guy I fancy'....

haha! wierd trojan! i always thought you were a boy?! (maybe im being rather presumptuous in your orientation here! :p sorry!)

I find it often does this..not answering the direct question put but showing what is going to happen in relation to it anyway. See it didn't even entertain the idea you weren't going to do it, even though thats what you asked, because the funding was there with your name on it . How does one know when Yi is doing this and not answering the direct question ? I can kind of know now for myself ...but even then it still suprises me it does this

Yeah i know- its uncanny that. Well it is the great mystical yi afterall...i sometimes forget that im not asking a person these questions, its all such practical down to earth advice that it doesnt feel like im consulting something unknowable...i suppose thats the magic of it. it works! How? Now thats what i'm waiting for modern science to figure out! ;)

i'm reading a book called the Tao of Physics at the minute, it was written 30 yrs ago i'm waiting for new results to back it up a bit more. but it is fascinating. I'm really getting into this now! I want to read every translation and every history book on ancient china!

How does this work!!! i can hear the voice of Yi ( yoda is my go-between)

He says 'Patience, young Padwan....

Yx

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).