...life can be translucent

Menu

Sleeping too much 39>33

yxeli

visitor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Lately i've been so tired, having naps for 5 hours then waking up. Its oversleeping and I'm not sure why.

My diet is fairly good and i wake up at about 7am each morning during the week for college, but when i get home, invariably i'll fall asleep for a bit.

It causes me to wake up in the middle of the night sometimes and generally isnt very nice. Ive just woken up after rushing around this morning and ive missed a beautiful sunny day! :(

If anyone could tell me what the Yi says about this, (do these hexagrams correlate with certain areas of the body?) It would be a brilliant help.

39 .4 .6 > 33

Thanks!

Yx

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Do these hexagrams correlate with certain areas of the body?

For Hex. 39, Master Ni says, "Disease: The problem is in the feet and can only be cured slowly." This hexagram is sometimes translated as 'Difficulty in Walking." In Western astrology, Pisces corresponds to the feet and lymphatic system, I think. And for Hex. 33 Ni says, "Disease: Emotional or imaginary illness; it is good to move to another house." Are the troubles where you live getting to you? Constant discord is depressing.

Possibly you could walk off your problem. You like to travel, and one of the glories of the world is at your feet. Could you make a walking or biking tour of Ireland?

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Lately i've been so tired, having naps for 5 hours then waking up. Its oversleeping and I'm not sure why.

My diet is fairly good and i wake up at about 7am each morning during the week for college, but when i get home, invariably i'll fall asleep for a bit.

It causes me to wake up in the middle of the night sometimes and generally isnt very nice. Ive just woken up after rushing around this morning and ive missed a beautiful sunny day! :(

If anyone could tell me what the Yi says about this, (do these hexagrams correlate with certain areas of the body?) It would be a brilliant help.

39 .4 .6 > 33

Thanks!

Yx

As a sentence this reads as "retreat (33) from difficulties (39)

sometimes people sleep alot to avoid life, to get a break. Not consciously maybe

OTOH it may have a physical cause such as an underactive thyroid etc so if it continues and you think it isn't psychological it would seem best to see your Dr and 39.6 seems to support this suggestion.

precision grace

visitor
Reaction score
I think your Hex is telling you to seek medical help. It's also possible you are over-extending yourself helping others or possibly eating/drinking something that is harmful to you. I'd go check it out if I were you. Take care. x

tigerintheboat

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Perchance to Dream

39 .4 .6 > 33
Trojan described Retreat from Difficulty, and that is what sleep can be. Both lines 4 and 6 talk about difficulties going forward. Line 4 retreats to make a connection (re-grounding yourself instinctively) and Line 6 retreats for mastery, when it is no longer necessary to battle.

Allow yourself to sleep peacefully and happily for now, and try to keep a dream diary, or in some way appreciate the healing and connected power of sleep. The body performs various important healing functions during sleep. As soon as you get enough of whatever the sleep is doing, it will naturally come to and end.

College is the time when young people over-extend themselves, and lose their judgement in over stimulation and lack of sleep. Some people become coffee addicts, and still fall asleep at inopportune moments.

If you can't sleep more at night, accept the naps for now, as part of what is keeping you sane and giving you the health you need to tackle college. I think as soon as you stop resenting it, and start being happy you are getting what you need, the situation will change.

Yi doesn't have the vocabulary for medical diagnosis...it is more like a practical philosophy course.

yxeli

visitor
Reaction score
Allow yourself to sleep peacefully and happily for now, and try to keep a dream diary, or in some way appreciate the healing and connected power of sleep. The body performs various important healing functions during sleep. As soon as you get enough of whatever the sleep is doing, it will naturally come to and end.

hmm...

I cant remember the last time i remembered a dream! But its a reassuring thought , to trust my body in that this sleep is restorative in some way unknown to me. Thank you.

As a sentence this reads as "retreat (33) from difficulties (39)

sometimes people sleep alot to avoid life, to get a break. Not consciously maybe
Trojan described Retreat from Difficulty, and that is what sleep can be. Both lines 4 and 6 talk about difficulties going forward.

I think it might be avoiding life a bit alright, i'm very anxious and when i do sleep, i dont feel particularly refreshed afterwards...

And for Hex. 33 Ni says, "Disease: Emotional or imaginary illness; it is good to move to another house." Are the troubles where you live getting to you? Constant discord is depressing.
All of these observations ring true, my house is big, so big that I can go a whole day without bumping into a housemate. I literally sleep in a gentlemans retiring room, (the house is a georgian townhouse http://www.dublintourist.com/images/premises/268/logo.jpg and there's not much communication with others. My friends envy my house when they visit, theres an actual ballroom and the space seems amazing to an outsider, but boy do you ever realise that a rooms just a room when you've lived in such grandeur.

I think my surrounds might be isolating. I think i might just fall asleep because i cant go to the kitchen and have a coffee and catch up with people here. I hope thats it and not something more serious...

Thanks everyone for helping me figure this out :)

Sleep well!

Yxx

yxeli

visitor
Reaction score
Just as an offshoot from this--

I was on antidepressants for a good few years there, I gave them up of my own accord about 2 years ago when I had grew to feel very complacent on the medication. (No real change, no real passion, no real joy or pain) I remember one of the stock questions that my doctors used to ask me while on them was am i sleeping too much/too little.

As a result I asked the Yi, what would happen if I went back on anti-depressants?

41 .1 .3 > 18

I'm taking this to mean that I should maybe :?

Thanks

Yx

S

sooo

Just as an offshoot from this--

I was on antidepressants for a good few years there, I gave them up of my own accord about 2 years ago when I had grew to feel very complacent on the medication. (No real change, no real passion, no real joy or pain) I remember one of the stock questions that my doctors used to ask me while on them was am i sleeping too much/too little.

As a result I asked the Yi, what would happen if I went back on anti-depressants?

41 .1 .3 > 18

I'm taking this to mean that I should maybe :?

Thanks

Yx

First thing that came to my mind was, are you depressed? Because the cycle you first explained sounds as if it could be symptomatic of depression: escaping to sleep to avoid something.

I think your second answer describes what you've experienced with antidepressants in the past, losing a part of you, 41.3. I also can see line 41.1 as implying that you may be taking too much of your work concerns or residual emotions home with you. Plus the large house you describe may make you feel somewhat lost in such a big place, when you may do better within a smaller, more contained environment, more secure, 'your space'. Even anxious animals generally calm and become more secure when contained in a small space.

As one who was on antidepressants for five years in the past, I am against their use unless accompanied by competent therapy, especially long term, for the exact reasons you've described. We can tend to disassociate with others and parts of ourselves (41.3). However, it might be a good idea to have at least a few sessions with a professional with whom you can talk things out with. Or possibly a friend to hang out with awhile after work, rather than going straight home; someone you're comfortable being with and sharing with. Or possibly becoming a friend with someone who shares your big house.

Just some thoughts, I hope may be helpful. :hug:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).