...life can be translucent

Menu

Hexagram 62 > 02. Likelihood of going on a date with a guy?

glampradachick9

visitor
Reaction score
Hi! I'm kind of new to all this iching stuff. So please forgive me on my lack of knowledge on these hexagrams :)

Anyway, there's this guy that I've been talking to...he's a childhood friend and after 12 years of losing touch, we finally met up last week.

Now, this wasn't just a meet-up, it was also a first date :)

Neither one of us had expected for this to happen, I guess the attraction just happened naturally.

I thought that the first date went really well, or that it was perfect...but for some reason...he's barely been texting me.

A couple of days ago, he said hi and that was it..the conversation was kept short.

We both had just gotten out of bad relationships, so we're trying to take it slow and not rush things.

I'm not sure where his heart lies for me. I want to believe that he does like me, but then again, I think he's confused to what he wants.

His last girlfriend was his first love, they were together for 3 years.

He says he is over it now, (they broke up 7 months ago), but I think he just doesn't want to get hurt again...which is why he's not really talking to me much.

During our first date, he said that he definitely wanted to go on a second date with me, So...

it's next saturday already, and I'm thinking he might ask me out again. I asked the iching if there would be any possiblity of a second date tomorrow night.

I got hexagram 62 changing into hexagram 02. If i'm reading this correctly, I got a changing line of 9.

Now, I've read that 62 is pretty much bad, a warning, and 02 is good, that there is a possibility for things to develop between us...

What's going on here? Can anyone help me please? What are his feelings towards me? Will there be a date tomorrow? What is the likelihood of us becoming boyfriend girlfriend?

Please, honest thoughts here. No need to sugar coat it :) I'm open to everyones thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks!!

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I got hexagram 62 changing into hexagram 02. If i'm reading this correctly, I got a changing line of 9.

62>2 would mean lines 3 and 4 would be changing . if you don't know what you cast theres no point people trying to interpret

Now, I've read that 62 is pretty much bad, a warning, and 02 is good, that there is a possibility for things to develop between us...

all this 'bad' and 'good'..... it doesn't mean anything. Have a look at the hexagram index...under 'search' top right for more of a feel of the hexagrams

What's going on here? Can anyone help me please? What are his feelings towards me? Will there be a date tomorrow? What is the likelihood of us becoming boyfriend girlfriend?

Please, honest thoughts here. No need to sugar coat it :) I'm open to everyones thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks!!

Heres a suggestion....read through this..... It may help if you are planning to ask alot of relationship questions http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?t=12642

then try to figure what you actually cast

glampradachick9

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks trojan...I still would like your opinion on my reading...I think it is changing lines 3 and 4. Like I said, i'm sorry that i'm new to this.

can anyone else help me as well?

Thanks!

EDIT: Yeah its actually line 3 and 4 that changed. I counted again. Thanks for the clarification! :)

foxx777

visitor
Reaction score
So you got H62.3.4 > 2?:confused: You said:

EDIT: Yeah its actually line 3 and 4 that changed. I counted again. Thanks for the clarification!

If so, here is a translation which is pretty clear in its meaning:

62. Too Little

Line 3:

Not letting it pass, but protecting him,
following somebody injures him.
Misfortune.

Complying with what the other wants will cause one harm. One needs to protect oneself from that, one can't let is pass. Things don't go well.

Line 4:

Without fault.
Not passing, but meeting him.
Going forward is dangerous, one must be on guard.
No use to endlessly persist.

Facing a dangerous situation, by choice, instead of avoiding it. It is not a mistake to do so, one must however be on guard. It is not a good idea to go on at any cost.

Hexagram is changing to:

2. Land

Land.
A foundation for progress.
Beneficial is the persistence of a mare.
The noble one has a goal to move to.
Being confused at first,
later acquiring mastery.
It is beneficial that companionship is gained in the southwest,
companionship is lost in the northeast.
Calm persistence brings good fortune.

There is a new potential, for you to develop. At first you'll not know your way, but you'll gain a handle on the situation and eventually master it. Just calmly proceed. It is beneficial to make partners and allies, and not to move on with people who have different interests.
(At the original place and time of the I Ching, allies were in the southwest, territory they wanted to conquer was in the northeast.)

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
So you got H62.3.4 > 2?:confused: You said:

If so, here is a translation which is pretty clear in its meaning:

Please say whose translation you are using . You are using someone elses commentary,,,,you know the difference between a translation and a commentary ?

Last edited:

foxx777

visitor
Reaction score
Please say whose translation you are using . You are using someone elses commentary,,,,you know the difference between a translation and a commentary ?
Yes, I am always using, and have referred in many posts to, the I Ching text translated from the original Chinese by Ewald Berkers, with commentary by same, on eclectic energies site. I enclose both translation and commentary within quote blocks----there has been no attempt to "pass it off as my own". Yes, I do actually, after years of philosophical academic work and awards, understand commentary vs translation, so let us not be rude. No one else on this site is, so it is not appreciated.:rant:

glampradachick9

visitor
Reaction score
Lol yeah I agree with foxx...let's all be nice to each other now...

Anyway, so nobody is going to directly answer my questions right?

Basically what you're telling me foxx is that I just have to be on guard, and that there is a possibility of a second date?

I appreciate you guys giving me links and stuff, but the reason why I even posted on this forum is for other people's interpretations.

So I would love some other thoughts and answers from you all.

Thanks!

foxx777

visitor
Reaction score
Lol yeah I agree with foxx...let's all be nice to each other now...

Anyway, so nobody is going to directly answer my questions right?

Basically what you're telling me foxx is that I just have to be on guard, and that there is a possibility of a second date?

I appreciate you guys giving me links and stuff, but the reason why I even posted on this forum is for other people's interpretations.

So I would love some other thoughts and answers from you all.

Thanks!
Thanks for that, I do get a bit ruffled. ;) ----I would say, yes, there seems to be potential, as indicated in line 4 of 62. So far as this particular translation/commentary goes, there seems to be something dangerous, that you should not go along with, and nip in the bud. If one looks to the Legge translation, one gets the following:

3. The third NINE, undivided, shows its subject taking no extraordinary precautions against danger; and some in consequence finding opportunity to assail and injure him. There will be evil.

4. The fourth NINE, undivided, shows its subject falling into no error, but meeting (the exigency of his situation), without exceeding (in his natural. course). If he go forward, there will be peril, and he must be cautious. There is no occasion to be using firmness perpetually.
:eek: Still sounds bad. You sure this guy is OK?:rofl: Seriously, tho, if one is to take the received Hexagram and lines at their face value, what would you make of this? Within the details of what you yourself know about him, and the situation? Is there something he may be pushing that you ought to avoid? Or a perspective within your own mind, which is not good as indicated herein?

Line 4 Legge would appear to be saying go forward, despite the peril, and no need to be aggressive. This is a very odd oracle for simply a second date.....:eek:

Let's try the Wilhelm translation:

Nine in the third place means:
If one is not extremely careful,
Somebody may come up from behind and strike him.
Misfortune.

At certain times extraordinary caution is absolutely necessary. But it is just in
such life situations that we find upright and strong personalities who,
conscious of being in the right, disdain to hold themselves on guard, because
they consider it petty. Instead, they go their way proud and unconcerned. But
this self-confidence deludes them. There are dangers lurking for which they
are unprepared.
:eek: Yet such danger is not unavoidable; one can escape it if he
understands that the time demands that he pay especial attention to small
and insignificant thing.

Nine in the fourth place means:
No blame. He meets him without passing by.
Going brings danger. One must be on guard.
Do not act. Be constantly persevering.

Hardness of character is tempered by yielding position so that no mistakes are
made. The situation here calls for extreme caution;:eek: one must make no
attempt of one's own initiative to reach the desired end. And if one were to
go on, endeavoring one must be on guard and not act but continue inwardly
to persevere.
I WONDER WHAT YOU ARE BEING WARNED ABOUT?:confused:

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I am always using, and have referred in many posts to, the I Ching text translated from the original Chinese by Ewald Berkers, with commentary by same, on eclectic energies site. I enclose both translation and commentary within quote blocks----there has been no attempt to "pass it off as my own". Yes, I do actually, after years of philosophical academic work and awards, understand commentary vs translation, so let us not be rude. No one else on this site is, so it is not appreciated.:rant:

I haven't accused you of passing it off as your own as its obvious it isn't since you state its a translation and its in quote blocks as you say.

But you could say who it is you quote

I'd think after years of philosophical academic work you'd realise its not enough just to say who you quote, once, on one thread, and then expect everyone who ever reads all your posts in other threads now or in the future to know you are always pasting in Ewalds work.

If you are going to go on and on pasting Ewalds work in every single response I personally think you need to state that in your signature. Your signature is the bit of writing some people put at the bottom of each post....so you don't need to write it out each time.

I don't think its rude to suggest that or to ask if you know the difference between translation and commentary. It wasn't meant to be rude anyway. If you do think its rude press the red report button.

You can take or leave my suggestion obviously...though personally I feel if quoting regularly from someone you need to be clear of who it is you quote, for the readers benefit

ETA the reason I asked that, if you knew trhe difference between translation and commentary, was not to be snide since many people, including myself at one time, take commentaries as the final truth of the matter on 'what the I Ching says' whereas it is only one persons thoughts about what the I Ching is saying.

You appear usually to go completely along with Ewalds commentary and ignore the translation completely.....so thats why I asked. But it was not intended as a dig.

Last edited:

foxx777

visitor
Reaction score
I have not been posting here as a scholar or adhering to scholarly form - not up to it, to tell the truth ---- and quite frankly I found it expedient to quote from the EB, it is easier to understand for practical purposes. I have for years consulted Wilhelm, Legge, and Richard Lynn versions; also the rhyming verse of Alleister Crowley. Yes, I admit I am slap dash these days. I'll put it in the signature and be done with it. I for one would never dream of not asking one who answered me, "Whose version do you quote from here?" and was asked only once---i had figured I would respond when asked.

glampradachick9

visitor
Reaction score
I don't know foxx....we were supposed to go on a second date today..and I haven't heard anything from him yet....:( maybe thats what 62 is saying? Should I just forget about this guy?? Please help!! :(

foxx777

visitor
Reaction score
I don't know foxx....we were supposed to go on a second date today..and I haven't heard anything from him yet....:( maybe thats what 62 is saying? Should I just forget about this guy?? Please help!! :(
Well, the thing about consulting the I Ching is, you have to decide whether or not to heed it, in light of the facts that you know, and the basic logic your own mind tells you. What i see here, is that the IC indicates a serious problem. However, what do I really know? I surely cannot see why you are getting warnings of danger. Is the date set up, as to time, place? Or is he supposed to call?

If he does call, I would try and go on the date, and talk to him, and get a better feeling as to what the potential is. We should not just blindly follow the IC as an oracle, I do not think. In the end, it has to be up to you. I would say 62.3 is a serious warning, but I don't know why, or if it is warranted at all, in this circumstance. Perhaps it has a psychological meaning?

glampradachick9

visitor
Reaction score
Okay foxx....I got the serious warning...

He told me over a text that he didn't want to hang out or date me anymore. :(

He said that he just wasn't looking to date anyone at the moment.

I just wished he would have told me this earlier in the week.

I'm so heartbroken. I told him to never talk to me again.

:( I can never trust another man again.

EDIT: I asked the iching if we would ever talk again...and I got hexagram 32. changing line 3. What does this mean fox?? Please honest answers.

Last edited:

foxx777

visitor
Reaction score
Okay foxx....I got the serious warning...

He told me over a text that he didn't want to hang out or date me anymore. :(

He said that he just wasn't looking to date anyone at the moment.

I just wished he would have told me this earlier in the week.

I'm so heartbroken. I told him to never talk to me again.

:( I can never trust another man again.

EDIT: I asked the iching if we would ever talk again...and I got hexagram 32. changing line 3. What does this mean fox?? Please honest answers.
Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. :( Hopefully it is for the best, and will free you up for something worthwhile in your future.

Please do NOT let this guy's problems make it so that you distrust all---in fact, if you look back over the thread, 62.3 which says you should not go along with something, could be referring to just this: His putting you in a bad frame of mind. Do not allow it!

Let me have a whirl at 32.3; I will post it below.---Wow, I think it is so relevant here, and it appears to be addressing just this, and offering hope for "release":Please try and view this break with him positively, as I believe the I Ching does. :) I know it is not easy. :( Of course, this reading does not preclude the possibility that things MIGHT possibly be worked out with this guy in the future, but you would have to have a serious talk, and he would have to explain things and apologize.....

32. Permanence

Line 3:

Not continuing this virtue.
Somebody bears this disgrace.
Persistence is inadequate.

Some good thing is not continued. This will feel unpleasant. It is not adequate to discontinue it.

40. Release

Release.
Beneficial is the southwest.
Without a situation to go to,
coming back brings good fortune.
If one does need to go somewhere,
doing it early in the morning brings good fortune.

It is good to release what one was doing and return to the normal situation. It is beneficial to have partners and allies. If something still needs to happen, it is wise to do that on a short term.
(At the original place and time of the Yijing, allies were in the southwest.)

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The sentence "it is not adequate to discontinue it",

makes no sense to me. What do you think it means ? :confused:

its not good English and I don't understand it but then English is Ewalds second language

glampradachick9

visitor
Reaction score
Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. :( Hopefully it is for the best, and will free you up for something worthwhile in your future.

Please do NOT let this guy's problems make it so that you distrust all---in fact, if you look back over the thread, 62.3 which says you should not go along with something, could be referring to just this: His putting you in a bad frame of mind. Do not allow it!

Let me have a whirl at 32.3; I will post it below.---Wow, I think it is so relevant here, and it appears to be addressing just this, and offering hope for "release":Please try and view this break with him positively, as I believe the I Ching does. :) I know it is not easy. :( Of course, this reading does not preclude the possibility that things MIGHT possibly be worked out with this guy in the future, but you would have to have a serious talk, and he would have to explain things and apologize.....

Ahh sounds pretty accurate to me. I just hope that we can be friends again...I pretty much told him to leave me alone for good...I shouldn't have said that in the heat of the moment :( I was just upset.

I think I ruined our friendship for good by overreacting...:( I really do regret this. That's why i'm still hurt.

Its interesting how you bring up hexagram 40. I could definitely relate to it because its telling me to let go "release" what has happened in the past and move forward.

He's not in a place to be dating, I think 40 is telling me he has alot of issues he needs to sort out first.

Isn't the first line of hex 40 "40.1: Deliverance has come." does that mean he will contact me? And if so, is there an idea of a time period? like when?

foxx777

visitor
Reaction score
The sentence "it is not adequate to discontinue it",

makes no sense to me. What do you think it means ? :confused:

its not good English and I don't understand it but then English is Ewalds second language
I would agree. It could only reinforce that "some good thing is discontinued" and that it is unpleasant - that there must be some flaw in discontinuing it.

Legge says it this way, which would point back to the 'date', the male in this circumstance: Pretty clear that she has viewed this reneging as a disgrace. Legge speaks oddly as well (although his is just scholarly and formal, I will admit):

The third NINE, undivided, shows one who does not continuously maintain his virtue. There are those who will impute this to him as a disgrace. However firm he may be, there will be ground for regret.

and here is line 3 from the Chameleon I Ching, Freeman Crouch:

Not enduring in virtue. You might present a food offering. Make a reading . Distress.

Last edited:

foxx777

visitor
Reaction score
Ahh sounds pretty accurate to me. I just hope that we can be friends again...I pretty much told him to leave me alone for good...I shouldn't have said that in the heat of the moment :( I was just upset.

I think I ruined our friendship for good by overreacting...:( I really do regret this. That's why i'm still hurt.

Its interesting how you bring up hexagram 40. I could definitely relate to it because its telling me to let go "release" what has happened in the past and move forward.

He's not in a place to be dating, I think 40 is telling me he has alot of issues he needs to sort out first.

Isn't the first line of hex 40 "40.1: Deliverance has come." does that mean he will contact me? And if so, is there an idea of a time period? like when?
Well, I myself have not had the best of luck with timing things via the I Ching. I am not sure how much importance you can place on line one in this case, but there is the idea of release.

It may be from him, but who knows, you and he may come to a future understanding. I think he ought to understand why you got so upset, myself. You could always call and explain. Perhaps you must release yourself from caring so much, and then it may open a space for him to come back on different terms.

Last edited:

glampradachick9

visitor
Reaction score
Okay, sorry to keep bumping this thread...but I asked the iching one last final question..

I asked if there will be any communication between him (x) and I before 2013..

I got hexagram 10 with no changing lines....

Any thoughts foxx? I got no changing lines so hexagram 10 must mean something...

trojan...I have yet to hear your opinion on everything...what do you think so far too?

-Thanks!

EDIT: I also got hexagram 13 with a changing line of 1. (when asked if we would ever be boyfriend girlfriend).

Last edited:

foxx777

visitor
Reaction score
Okay, sorry to keep bumping this thread...but I asked the iching one last final question..

I asked if there will be any communication between him (x) and I before 2013..

I got hexagram 10 with no changing lines....

Any thoughts foxx? I got no changing lines so hexagram 10 must mean something...

trojan...I have yet to hear your opinion on everything...what do you think so far too?

-Thanks!

EDIT: I also got hexagram 13 with a changing line of 1. (when asked if we would ever be boyfriend girlfriend).
Do not have as much time this morning as I would like to contemplate these readings, but from what I can glean from the Berkers Translation/Commentary thus far, I would think that there may be a time where you have to back off, begin anew, start over from a friendly level which then could possibly progress. Hope that helps for the time being. ;)

10. Stepping

Stepping on the tiger's tail.
It does not bite the person.
Progressing.

Placing oneself in a dangerous situation. One doesn't get harmed. There is progress.
13. People Together

Line 1:

People together at the gate.
Without fault.

Together with people in a superficial connection. There is nothing wrong with this.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).