...life can be translucent

Menu

Hexagram 50.1.6

anitasan

visitor
Reaction score
Question:
How am I capable of adapting to my new job?

Background:
A few years ago I started college and had to drop out, since then I've been dealing with overcoming my mental/emotional issues while trying to maintain a job. For the most part I have regained my mental/emotional health. However, I am still struggling to maintain a job.

I've been told by bosses and coworkers that I am too inquisitive, that I should use more common sense and be quicker on my feet. My last boss used to tell me this constantly and simultaneously make criticisms of my work, which was very stressful, I ended up getting fired.

Where I'm working now is a lot less pressure than where I was, and I really like it so far. My boss has been very kind to me, I like my coworkers and it's a great business. However, I can tell that they are picking up on my disorientation. I get into the habit of asking questions before figuring things out since figuring things out usually takes much longer. It's been made clear that this habit bothers people, yet for some reason I find it very hard to break. The last thing I want is a repeat of my last job: my insecurity aggravating my boss to the point of firing me.

I Ching Response:
50.1.6 to 34

My Response:
What seems clear about this hexagram is that a valuable opportunity is being offered (34, 50 and 50.6) and/or possibly, I have something to offer this situation. However, my actions must be cautious (34) and some bad habits must be shed (50.1). Does anybody have any insights into this hexagram, particularly the enigmatic 50.1, that give more specific advisement on how to deal with this self-doubt?

Thanks.

foxx777

visitor
Reaction score
Your interpretation is on target. For me, hexagram 50 is very auspicious, as it is about transformation, cooking elements until they are ready to be served and consumed.

Line 1 would be removing all the old, stagnating elements (your doubts and fears among them) so that the cauldron is empty for a new process. Legge also says that this line shows that although the cauldron must be turned upside down and emptied, this is not in any way disrespectful, but very positive.

Line 6 shows that you will indeed reach this point where all is in good order, and the transformational work has been completed, and all is excellent.

Here is the Ewald Berkers translation and commentary on your reading: Pretty simple and straight forward and in keeping with your own excellent insights:

50. The Caldron

Line 1:

A caldron with its legs turned up,
beneficial to expel clogged stuff.
Getting a maid for one's child.
Without fault.

Making room for a transformation. One can remove the old and useless to make space, or free time and resources by letting someone (or something) else do things. There is nothing wrong with this.

Line 6:

The caldron has jade carrying rings.
Much good fortune.
Without disadvantage.

The situation is in an excellent condition, the results of the transformational work are ready to be moved to where they are needed. This will have a lasting influence. Things are going very well. There is no disadvantage to this.

Hexagram is changing to:

34. Much Force

Much force.
It is beneficial to persist.

Using force. Persistence helps this to be effective.
:bows:

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
How am I capable of adapting to my new job?
50.1.6 > 34

Welcome to Clarity, Anitasan. The situations isn't clear. What are you being too inquisitive about? Is it job performance or social and personal matters? My guess is that others find you distracting. In terms of 50.1, you might satisfy your need for talk by seeking friends outside of work.

Reaction score
It could be that your past boss needs dumped out of your current experience. It is perfectly natural to ask questions if you don't understand something and need to. The boss at your new job could very well be completely different than your old boss. 50.1 could be saying to clear out your mind of the past job situation and start from scratch with approach and attitude. Feel the new boss out and see if he takes well with questions, you might be surprised, and feel yourself out for what you truly need to ask.

anitasan

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you all for your input. My inquisitiveness at my last job was because I was thrown into a business of which I had no previous knowledge or experience (insurance!), all the while expected to grasp a complicated, constantly changing business computer system, learn that particular office's procedures, and cover for someone on maternity leave. At the same time I had to study a 200-page book in one month to pass a licensing test, which my boss decided I needed to accomplish in a much shorter time frame than her other employees. When I had questions I was reprimanded.

The questions I ask at my new job are more out of lingering habit and self-doubt, they are questions I can usually answer myself if I stop to think before asking.

From what you guys said about hexagram 50 it sounds like a positive transformation is already underway, perhaps all the conscious effort it requires of me is nothing too major, just a little bit of emotional debris removal. Sounds like breaking these habits won't be such a daunting undertaking after all...life is already doing most of the work. This makes me feel a lot less anxious! Once again, thank you for all your thoughts.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).