...life can be translucent

Menu

Therapist or Banker ? 14.6 >54

player1

visitor
Reaction score
Hi and thanks again for the forum. I've come to a point where I am considering becoming a therapist having studied psychology for 3 years. I'm now looking at training courses in various areas or continuing to a degree in psychology. My preference is not the degree as I'd rather not become a perpetual student,I want to start learning things of real and practical use. I currently work in a bank and hate it - really hate it ! Hexagram 14 seemed very positive as did line six which in my iching book by Sam Reifler says "Heaven helps him - Auspicious - Improvement in every way - You recognise a saint. You give him help. You partake of his wisdom. Good fortune". However,hexagram 54 seems a little confusing ! I'm set on moving towards therapy and leaving the bank - I have to,it's draining me of energy - so what is iching suggesting ? Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
G

goddessliss

player1- I think Hex 54 is just the frustration you are feeling now about things at work in the bank - did things not go the way you planned when you decided that working in a bank was for you?

Hex 14.6 - follow the way of the Sage - if it feels right for you to do this study then personally I believe that this is what this line means for you. - Liss

player1

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks Liss, I left another industry which included incredibly long hour and increasingly bad conditions - the bank was a step up and the relatively short hours allowed me to study in my spare time. I had become quite comfortable at the bank until quite recently. However,in almost perfect synchronicity the situation at the bank changed at the same time of my final psychology exam. The progress I'd made over two years at the bank was wiped out in an instant by someone who criticized a report I had produced - I was completely in the right. However, despite proving that the report was correct and no error had been made by myself - this person looked for other reasons to discredit me and basically made stuff up to shield her from her initial incompetence. No senior managers would listen to my explanation or read the emails from other departments which vindicated my report outcome. The die had been cast and there was no way anyone senior would spend two hours reading a report to save my ass. So in a department restructure which also was perfectly timed to the incident - I was placed in lower position - I had done nothing wrong at all,my reputation badly damaged for no reason whatsoever. So I figured that this was a poke from the toa ! The timing seemed too precise to be coincidence and having finished the final exam,decided that banking was not my pathway,despite having previous doubts regards therapy. Thanks again for your reply - David.

chingching

visitor
Reaction score
Hex 54 would be confusing as it is not actually apart of your reading

14.6 moves to hex 34 'Great Power', eagerness to start practicing and get out there :)

player1

visitor
Reaction score
Hex 54 would be confusing as it is not actually apart of your reading

14.6 moves to hex 34 'Great Power', eagerness to start practicing and get out there :)

Oh right ! It must be the the website I used,I had two changing lines and it said the upper one applies : Hex14/line 6 with a transformed hex 54. I used this http://www.ichingonline.net/index.php

I'm a bit confused - thanks for your advice and explanation...

M

mirian

Hi player1,

If you had two changing lines, as you say, with Hex 14 moving to Hex 54 then your reading must have been Hex 14.3.6 >> 54 . Otherwise, as chinching said, Hex 14.6 moves to Hex 34.

And that makes a lot of difference;)

player1

visitor
Reaction score
Hi player1,

If you had two changing lines, as you say, with Hex 14 moving to Hex 54 then your reading must have been Hex 14.3.6 >> 54 . Otherwise, as chinching said, Hex 14.6 moves to Hex 34.

And that makes a lot of difference;)

Okay,I'm still confused - there were two changing lines but only the upper one applied - so it is 14.3.6 >> 54 ? Even though only on line applied ? If this is the case is 54 telling not to take action ?

player1

visitor
Reaction score
They both apply, they both indicate a change in the hexagram...

Read a little about how the I Ching works before you try your hand at it. It ought to take no more than 10 minutes or so to understand how to properly cast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ching_divination

Thanks for your candor. I'm afraid I don't understand why the reading clearly stated that only the upper line applied but assume it did for a good reason,the process is automated and suggested that 54 applied. Having read the instructions from the site it explains the changing lines as thus:
Changing Lines transform into their polar opposite during the course of your consultation.
When there are more than one lines changing, there is a problem in interpretation; if these lines are contradictory, which one to choose?
At IChingOnline we have chosen to apply a set of rules to determine the one changing line that prevails.
Although this set of rules is old and widespread, it is just one of many methods that can be found to handle this delicate issue.
Consider it a guideline, which is not 100% compelling.

So, no matter how many lines are changing (if any), according to our method, only ONE of them applies to your question.
The following rules determine which one.

I will therefore take the advice of 54 as a transformed hexagram - which to my mind suggests that I should be patient and not be impetuous.

Thanks again for all you advice from my readings over the last few years - I try not to consult iching too frequently and rely on intuition and common sense in most situations. I decided to leave the bank and this would have been the case regardless of any reading - thanks again and blessings to all ;)

M

mirian

Dear player1,

I am not sure if you are going to read this but I hope so. I am not familiar with the website that you have been using and I will not comment on that.

However, I have to dispute the idea that if you had Hex 14.3.6 only the upper line applies. It is true that there are methods of dealing with multiple changing lines but that is not the case here. Both changing lines should have been considered, as well as the relating hexagram 54. By doing so, you would have had a much more accurate reading that would have put you in a much better position to make the best decision for you career.

I wish you best of luck:bows:

player1

visitor
Reaction score
Dear player1,

I am not sure if you are going to read this but I hope so. I am not familiar with the website that you have been using and I will not comment on that.

However, I have to dispute the idea that if you had Hex 14.3.6 only the upper line applies. It is true that there are methods of dealing with multiple changing lines but that is not the case here. Both changing lines should have been considered, as well as the relating hexagram 54. By doing so, you would have had a much more accurate reading that would have put you in a much better position to make the best decision for you career.

I wish you best of luck:bows:

Thank you Mirian, I understand that one should have certain level of self education in regard to iching before consulting the oracle. The changing lines issue does appear to be confusing and I appreciate your advice. I am therefore to take into account hex 34 as well as 54 in equal proportion in terms of the transformation of hex 14 ?

M

mirian

It can be confusing at the beginning until you get familiar with all hexagrams;)

Back to your reading, you said that you had Hex 14 with two changing lines and the relating hexagram was 54. If that is correct, your reading must have been:
Hex 14.3.6. (changing lines 3 & 6) transforming into Hex 54.

On the other hand, if you had Hex 14 with only one changing line (line 6) then your reading must have been Hex 14.6 (changing line 6) transforming into Hex 34.

You cannot have two relating hexagrams, it has to be either Hex 54 or Hex 34. But, of course, it all depends on the primary hexagram and its changing lines.

I would suggest you to use this website for your future readings, because you will be given all the changing lines (nothing is discarded) and the relating hexagram.

Hope that helps:bows:

player1

visitor
Reaction score
It can be confusing at the beginning until you get familiar with all hexagrams;)

Back to your reading, you said that you had Hex 14 with two changing lines and the relating hexagram was 54. If that is correct, your reading must have been:
Hex 14.3.6. (changing lines 3 & 6) transforming into Hex 54.

On the other hand, if you had Hex 14 with only one changing line (line 6) then your reading must have been Hex 14.6 (changing line 6) transforming into Hex 34.

You cannot have two relating hexagrams, it has to be either Hex 54 or Hex 34. But, of course, it all depends on the primary hexagram and its changing lines.

I would suggest you to use this website for your future readings, because you will be given all the changing lines (nothing is discarded) and the relating hexagram.

Hope that helps:bows:

Thanks Mirian - I guess it's clear in the other sites explanation that the decision to include/exclude changing lines is controversial - the upper line was in this case considered relevant, which I have previously explained,however the 3rd line in my book reads "A prince presents himself as an offering. A smaller man would not do this. If you keep what you have your wealth will be a burden to you. If you give away what you have,your wealth will bring you joy". You have been kind in explaining the reading to me thus far - therefore I don't expect you to take up more time if you're too busy - however,your opinion of the changing lines and the hex 54 would be appreciated in the context of the situation if you have a moment - if not that's fine - I'm set on leaving the bank in any event,but under my own terms. Thanks again -

M

mirian

Dear player1,

Hex 14 is about possessions and wealth (but not about money;). Your "great possessions" are your knowledge, your character as a person, your values, your spiritual awareness, things that you have developed and learnt through life.
I see line 3 as the point when you have to make a decision between keeping your "possessions" for yourself (looks like the job of a banker:D) or sharing your possessions and putting them to the benefit of others.
It makes sense in the context that Hex 14 focus on sharing your wealth, interacting with others and being modest.
Hex 54, on the other hand, puts the person in some sort of position that you are not much in control of the events. So, I wonder if you would be able to do things "under your own terms" , as you say. On the bright side, it helps you to go with the flow, so you are more open to all possibilities.

Hope that helps a bit.:bows:

player1

visitor
Reaction score
Cheers Mirian, I rewrote much of my CV last night and started the process of looking for a training course in the field I'm interested in. I don't have a degree in psychology and I feel that six years part time at the age of 45 is too much,especially given that much of the degree material I've covered already at A level. Therefore I'm obviously looking at training for a position that doesn't require a degree and therein lies the problem. People with a degree are competing for these training course positions with non-graduates. However,I'm sure I'm more than capable and this leads me to the point (thank goodness they cry). I'm now certain that I have to do voluntary work to get an advantage - this is going to take sometime but not six years ! As for 54 - I'm not in control at work, although I feel that I can continue in my job and also help my clients (directly as a result of my demotion) while doing 3 or 4 hours a week as volunteer. I've been repeating a Louis Hay affirmation today "all is well,everything is working out for my highest good,out of this situation only good can come,and I am safe". Thanks again -

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).