...life can be translucent

Menu

42.1.6>8

msmith

visitor
Reaction score
A few months back i had the offer of a job interview in another country abroad on a 3 year contract. To be honest I was not all that interested in living in that country. However, the salary was about twice that I earn now and 40 days leave allowance. In the end I turned down the interview as something didn't feel right.

Sometimes I kick myself though as I think maybe I could have done that and then downshifted to a less stressful life..(or conversely, keel over with stress in the process of getting there :)

So I asked, 'what if another opportunity like that comes up again?' 42.1.6>8

Lise's Line 6 interpretation seems to say I should get used to living without plenty (i.e. don't go for it?). Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Reaction score
Hello, Msmith:)... Tough line! Yeah, I always have a bit of trouble with 42 line 6. took me a while to get an idea of what this line is all about. My experience with this line suggests that you may be doing all the right things, but for all the wrong reasons, or maybe even doing all the wrong things for the right reasons, LOL... But it doesn't work, and in the end the efforts won't be appreciated by anyone. At least, that is how it shows up for me.

This line kind of reminds me of my past experience in sales as a door to door appointment setter. Sometimes I would find people who were interested in what I was selling. So, I would be to eager to set them up with an appointment, and focused on the close prematurely. Understandable when one is working on comission. And tired and just wanting to go home. But, without taking the time to build rapport, people would become suspicious. On top of losing a potential new client, sometimes they would even get a bit bent out of shape. Probably thought I was trying to take advantage of them. Truth is I just wanted to make my money and go home early without having to go through the same song and dance, all the formalities, etc.

I actaully received this same configuration once. I wanted to distract someone from something and get to know them a bit better. Anyway, I considered bringing in some cake to work to draw there attention away from what I didn't want them to notice, and give me an opportunity to shoot the breeze with them. Yeah, I know. Nothing really wrong with what I was doing, but perhaps was doing it for the wrong reasons, and people can pick up on that. I think that is why 42.6 warns of a retaliation...

So, I read this line more as a warning. Not a no go. Some people read hexagrams with lines 1 and 6 as a quick transition to the relating hexagram. I would read this as, sure, by all means take the opportunity if it should come along, but make sure you are taking it for the right reasons. Based on what you are describing, makes sense... Don't take the job just for the money. If there is opportunity for you to put your talents to use though, benefit others, and increase yourself as well, why not? Jump all over that:)!!!

msmith

visitor
Reaction score
Hello dwf and thanks again for your insight! This really helps and has been a small 'aha' moment for me as I realise that my intentions were really for the dough - the country is very well off and I wouldn't really have put my best efforts into the job, I much prefer to help the under-priveleged (the underdog) if truth be told. So now I realise why my gut feeling was not to take it. But this reading has also helped me see that many of my career/relationship decisions going back several years haven't always been for the right reasons (and my gut feeling back then was not to undertake certain things but I did not listen at the time, leading me to this current mess) and I know better now that I need to work on being more authentic and listening to myself.

Thanks again, very best wishes. :bows:

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).