...life can be translucent

Menu

relating hex 1 as a positive

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
Hello, just a quick question, if you will ....
Will xxx eventually happen? 33.1,2<1
I feel like I have missed my chance, but I don`t need to let go of the idea for getting another one because of the relating hexagram. Usually, relating hex works as a starting point for me, but here as a sequence, it makes sense, I think. But since hex 1 I used to believe to be really exciting and great-rich in promises, I am not quite so certain, because it feels also quite chaotic and a bit turmoily in a way also.
Just wondering if the answer could in general be red as positive.
Ty, d.:bows:

gene

visitor
Reaction score
dragona

The question "will xxx ever happen" leaves little to go on, but the first two lines of hexagram thirty three indicate the possibility of a retreat. Hexagram one, as all hexagrams, are neither positive or negative in their total orientation, but only become so in the context of the question being asked.

I can't fully answer the question with the information given, but...

since you received the first line, you are being told in essence that the time is not ripe... The line says, "one must not undertake anything." So, is this something that you plan to undertake?

The first and second line are both yin, so it is like, symbolically speaking, two female friends. You will have to figure out if that is a metaphor that works for you. They are both determined in one sense to retreat, leave the scene, and the other sense, to hold on tightly to those who are retreating. You will have to determine if you are the one retreating, or the one holding on. Both lines together, in changing, become yang and hence, hexagram one. Hexagram one here, as best as I can tell is just a description of the situation as a whole, as it is very pregnant with energy, but how that energy is used is a different matter. You will have to determine who is determined to hold on and who is determined to leave.

Gene

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
since you received the first line, you are being told in essence that the time is not ripe... The line says, "one must not undertake anything." So, is this something that you plan to undertake?

The first and second line are both yin, so it is like, symbolically speaking, two female friends. You will have to figure out if that is a metaphor that works for you. They are both determined in one sense to retreat, leave the scene, and the other sense, to hold on tightly to those who are retreating.
Gene

I was thinking that it deserves a second chance.
Are you reading the both lines
(both being yin) are of the same intent as one reads for me "clear out of there" and the second "retreat but not to abandon your goal, only tone it down" so to speak?
TY:bows:

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hi Dragona,

I agree with your view of the relating hexagram. I let it tell me where it belongs and how it relates: before, after, and sometimes before and after, sometimes now.

Only early on did I view h1 in a mostly positive way. Now I have no positive spin on it, other than it is essential. I'm actually, shall I use the word afraid of it, or revere it, for so many more reasons than I can consciously imagine. But, I can go with "consciously imagine" as an application within h1's depth of meaning possibilities.

So if we apply that to retreat, it's going to taking your creative imagination to participate. Both lines say you don't want to let go of something, and that's keeping you from withdrawing from the matter. Use strict yang energy - it may be saying. Be decisive! All that yang energy stuff.

"Just when you think you're out, they pull you back in!"

coreleone.jpg

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
Hello,
I see hex 1 as an optimistic hex - CREATIVE force, creativity I love, so...
I can compare it to one entering university of choice, for example, excited and filled with expectations and high hopes, looking to get to work, towards realisation. Something to be happy about but also comes with feelings as stressed, overwhelmed, confused etc....anything can happen, one thinks.

So if we apply that to retreat, it's going to taking your creative imagination to participate. Both lines say you don't want to let go of something, and that's keeping you from withdrawing from the matter. Use strict yang energy - it may be saying. Be decisive! All that yang energy stuff.

Interesting, never seen it that way - 2 yin lines pointing towards yang...so the message is to let the idea go? My imagination is too creative, I am affraid.

Great, I remember his expression while saying it but I am a weak female after all:flirt:

Last edited:

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
Well, it might be good ultimately; in fact, we're repeatedly told that, from history, yijing, even religion attempts to defer gratification for a more sacred time and place.

But good, now? I've seen it concern death in three separate readings with people, h1 unchanging. Death either already happened and the question was about death, or it concerned death or dire illness. Now, in the great mind and scheme, that may all work to the good. But within my puny individual mind, it sucks. So I conclude that I am not able to make such conclusions. Basically a state of 4 about 1.

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
So you see the answer is to decisively give it up? Seen in the learning section the same cast with a different reading given, so I am bit confused.

But within my puny individual mind, it sucks. So I conclude that I am not able to make such conclusions. Basically a state of 4 about 1.
The personal impression of the hex I think is worth a thought. I dislike getting 29, 49, 51, 55 for example, since my experiances were bad concerning getting those hexes, mostly. I asked about it once before - how our personal view/impression of the hex influences our reading and consequently the energy and actions taken based upon the personal, rather than objective original text and a comment? I like to think about the original text first, see what associations and images it gives me, but mostly I am surprised to see explanations and comments turning out into something quite different. And if once you get a bad outcome with relating hex 1, for example, does it mean it will always turn out to be the same? If this is from the Book of Change, the meaning of the text should not be altered, the basics should be the same reference for everyone, I should think. How veague an Oracle can be to maintain its function?

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
And if once you get a bad outcome with relating hex 1, for example, does it mean it will always turn out to be the same? If this is from the Book of Change, the meaning of the text should not be altered, the basics should be the same reference for everyone, I should think. How veague an Oracle can be to maintain its function?

Who ever said a hex means the same in every context? Yet you seem to be suggesting the meaning singularly be written into stone.

I've used the IC since 1966, and it's been vague, specific, thought provoking, life changing, contradictory, sometimes maddening, but never has one not been mutable or been subject to interpretation based on the question's context and specific details of a given situation in question.

Life is not a strictly black and white affair. Neither is the Yijing.

Of course there's always this for a sure thing.
mrhalliday-albums-misc-picture3377-eightball.jpg

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
I am not suggesting anything, simply wondering if the relationship we can develop with the presumed meaning of a hex will cloud its real meaning to us? If you changed your opinion on hex 1 (as I have of a few, but then, I am not using YI as long as you have) from boding well, will you find it not boding well whenever you get it? (depending of the nature of the q. and the context, but that goes without saying)
It would make my divination life so much easier if I could think that "Responsive opening, good fortune" (for example) means just that .

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
I think that 33.1,2 are to be seen as a sequence - the decision to retreat has been made and the second line underlines the firmness of the decision - in other words, no way, no how. No lucky brakes for me.
Chinese Leadership Wisdom gives it like that. Perhaps that was the idea you were trying to relate to me.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).