...life can be translucent

Menu

The Cauldron (long, with a tangent about K'uei/Opposition)

jnick123

visitor
Reaction score
Hello all,

Sorry, this is so long...

The origins of this story are in an earlier post (from December "...boy am I lovesick"). Short version: fell for an engaged girl who is in a long term, less-than-fulfilling relationship. Girl has same, or at least similar feelings, naturally tied to great guilt and confusion.

I won't bore you with the many soap opera-like details and battles (inner & outer) that took place over the last several weeks, except to say they were intense and are certainly part of a real growing process.

Last evening, after several days of stagnation and tense, silence, I cast Hexagram 38 (K'uei/Opposition). I was not surprised by this. However, the first line was moving. Several translations relate this to the need for repentance disappearing, and horses that, if they are indeed yours, returning of their own accord.

Remarkably, today my 'horse' returned, albeit subtly. The girl broke the ice and got in touch, gently, a little sadly, and rather sweetly. I did not celebrate, preach, or implore, I simply listened and was myself (which, today was also gentle, a little sad, and I suppose sweet). Frankly, the accuracy of the I Ching has never been so...overt...for me.

So on to this evening, when I meditated on the nature of the relationship, and my desire for the romantic side of it to bloom. I cast hexagram 50 (The Cauldron), with moving lines at 1,2, and 6 (to the best of my memory, I have never cast a moving "6" line with this hexagram).

Clearly, most translations denote success with 'the Cauldron' and line 6 ('handles of jade...') implies 'great good fortune.' However, I know that a psychological buffer, or better put, keeping a wide perspective, is often wise. I do not wish to _assume_ success in this matter. And I don't wish to misread the meaning of "success"...I guess I'm old enough to realize that sometimes it can comes disguised as many things...

I certainly have my limitations...some of them imposed by my recent emotional state
happy.gif
, so I would like to know other's living, breathing interpretation of this casting.

Look forward to your comments.

Thank you much...

jnick123

visitor
Reaction score
an afterthought...I should add that i am especically interested in the meaning of the other two moving lines (1 & 2) in relation to the hexagram, and line 6.

thanks again, in advance

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Hello Nick,

Good to hear from you again
happy.gif

Yes, it does work, doesn?t it? That reading (38 to 64) suggests things are still very much in flux. The returning horse you know about (and I imagine you also know what happens if you try to catch a horse by running after it?); the ?hateful people/person? (could be singular or plural) are basically anyone you fear and loathe, who provokes a strong emotional reaction in you, probably by being your opposite. What a line?

You seem to have a preference for open-ended questions ? which may well be better for you, as you know everything behind it, but can be a tad tricky for outside interpreters. (Hence the first thing Tom did last time was create a formal question for your enquiry.) I?m not sure whether you were looking for ?what is possible?? or ?what can I do?? or ?what is going on?? So I?ll offer a suitably vague reading (hmmm?) for you to work with.

The second hexagram represents the way you relate to the question ? it?s #55, Abundance. It suggests you want to have a great, rich relationship, one that flourishes without anxiety ? and also a king-like power to end the painful complications, the ?litigation? and do something decisive. Perhaps you have a hidden sense of urgency, opportunities that might not last indefinitely? There is almost too much emotional history here, such intensity that something significant has to happen.

50 must be the relationship itself ? and it is overwhelmingly positive. I am as wary as you are of being over-optimistic, but it would be quite an interpretative feat to read this negatively
wink.gif
. The Vessel is a big image: the vessel of transformation, the crucible where things change state, ?destiny solidifies?, ordinary food becomes sacred. It opens up communication between spirit and human worlds. For that reason it is also an essential sign of the legitimacy of a new dynasty (and by extension of anything radically new): it shows that the new order has a strong, vital foundation from the spirits, a mandate from heaven. With Hexagram 49, there is revolution and the old way is overthrown. The Vessel means ?grasping renewal?.

IOW, it most certainly is a ?growing process?! And it?s nuclear hexagram ? the potential at its core ? is #43, Decision, someone clearly and openly separating from the old?

Of course, exactly how much of this (superb!) promise is realised depends on the moving lines. I think they simply describe a succession through time ? with the higher lines more remote from you, of course.

So?
Line 1: ?The vessel overbalanced at the base.
Harvest: the obstruction comes out.
Taking a second wife to have a son.
Not a mistake.?
Everything turns upside down (shades of 49) before we enter the real transformation, and the stale old stuff is emptied out. This does sound for all the world like the end of her engagement. At the very least, the upheaval there is unblocking things and creating the opportunity for subsequent transformation. As for ?taking a second wife??: the view was that taking a second wife (ie a concubine) could cause trouble, but if it was done to develop and perpetuate the family, the upheaval was justified. In other words ? stepping outside what is normally acceptable because you are taking a longer-term view is not a mistake. This strikes me as a very apt, and very encouraging line.

Line 2 is harder:
?There is something real in the vessel.
My counterpart is afflicted.
Cannot approach me.
Good fortune.?
You are making a real and substantial change, have something of value ? someone who is suffering (possibly from jealousy) can?t get to it ? this means good fortune. The really tricky word here is ?counterpart?, which you?ll find translated as both ?rival? and ?comrade? ? an equal who could also be an opposite. To be absolutely honest, two completely different interpretations are possible here, and I?m not 100% sure which is right. Is this her fiancé, who is jealous but can?t reach you, or the woman herself, who is likewise prey to negative emotions, maybe jealous of your freedom, but can?t reach you?

Several supplementary readings later, I think this is the woman. In which case, the idea that this means ?good fortune? is deeply discordant. But (with the benefit of a few years? hindsight since I received this line!) I think it means that her doubts, insecurities, resentment (etc?) can?t diminish you ? that despite your own desire to give, there are limits beyond which you can?t, or shouldn?t. Maybe altruism begins with a kind of basic self-regard. An unconventional reading, straight from personal experience, for you to use as you will!

Line 6:
?Vessel with jade rings.
Great good fortune.
Nothing that is not beneficial.?
Not much comment needed! Jade ? precious, strong yet lustrous, will not tarnish? This is the most remote line, marking supreme success after the transformation is complete. Perhaps the first two are preconditions for it.

I?d be interested to hear what you make of this!

tunga

visitor
Reaction score
The name of hex.55, Feng, is the name of the military base from where king Wu, the son of Wen, attacked the Zhou. In Feng he made all the arrangements and plans, he found others to help him (mentioned in line 1 and 4), and devised his strategy.
In Wilhelm-Baines it says, Feng is 'many occasions' (misc.notes), and this word can also be translated as reasons or intentions. So hex.55 is not simply abundance, it is also the work to bring about abundance. Make plans, use strategy, get up your and everyone's courage, get your army ready.
If you dare to turn things upside down (50.1), for a 'rich cauldron' (50.2, nice image for a woman!), and you have the inspiration (50.6), then you will be able to set your armies on the march with real results (55)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).