...life can be translucent

Menu

37.3 to 42 - web developer

Leracy

visitor
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I wonder if anyone can help me with understanding a reading please?

I asked What if I used <name of company> to do my website

Answer: 37.3 to 42

Some background: I am launching a new business on my own. At the moment I am working from home, and in a state of transition from having worked in the corporate world. So I understand the 'woman in the home' part. I did have my own business once before and found the whole 'having a website' thing very difficult. This time I really want to get it right.

The company in question was recommended to me and they do seem to have the right credentials. But ... there's that nagging doubt, and I'm not quite sure what it is, hence my asking the Yi.

37 is about a woman in the home (me!) creating a space for something (and people) to grow. Well, my new business is in the personal development field. It's also about steadiness and constancy - yes, I need that and that's what I'm looking for from a web developer.

42 is about increasing, blessing and superabundance. So if I'm going from 'the home' to 'blessing', then this web developer looks good.

It's 37.3 that bothers me. It looks like there's going to be a lot of tears before I get what I want and also the woman is shying away from her responsibility. Hilary says 'nothing changes and neither thinking nor communication gets any clearer'. Absolutely NOT what I want.

I need a website soon, and I want to make sure that I get it right. Or am I being warned that I will need to keep a very close eye on them and if I do, I will be fine?

I would really appreciate any comments, or 37.3 experiences - thank you :bows:

precision grace

visitor
Reaction score
Could 37.3 relate to you shying away from learning about websites (or making a decision)?

Maybe you could try this (free) website builder first: http://jigsy.com/, to give you an idea of the process - if nothing else, it may help focus your thinking about what you need.

gene

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Ann

I think the real meaning here is that when you do this, you need to put everything into it. You must be willing to discipline yourself. I don't think there is much more to it than that. I wouldn't let the line bother me.

Gene

Leracy

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks so much both of you. I decided that I'm going to look at another developer since I was feeling a bit 'iffy' about this and I believe you should always follow that gut instinct. I know I have to put my all into it and it seems Yi is addressing some fears I have. I will work on those. Thank you so much for your help.

sylwia

visitor
Reaction score
WOW I love this reading!

Hi Ann,

I'm a web developer, and I'd like to offer you some insight into your reading from my perspective.

Whatever website you had in the past it must have been very different to what you need now. Internet is a fast changing environment. Nothing looks the same as, say, 5 years ago. Good news is it's getting easier and easier, so you'll find it quite easy to manage on your own.

The main difference though is that in the past a web developer used to make an entire website, including content updates. Today, if it's a good site, their work is only a small percentage of the whole. The rest is what you do as the site's author. If you want to have a good website that will earn you money then you must work on it daily, and no developer will do the part for you. So I understand the part from your reading about "steadiness and constancy" as your job. A web developer creates just a frame which you will fill with content and make grow. Their job is finished very quickly, yours is an ongoing process.

Judging from your interpretation of your reading it's something you don't know, because, as I said, it used to be very different some years ago. But the reading tells you to look around and find new, better models.

I don't know what system you have in mind, but I'd suggest WordPress, which is both the most popular Content Management System in the world (it's used by NASA, CNN, New York Times, FBI, CIA, PM of Britain; you get the picture, it powers 17% of the entire internet right now) and very simple for end user. It's also Open Source and completely free!

To get you started I'd do this:

Go to wordpress.com, create an account, it's free. Choose a theme. It can look like a blog or a business website, up to you, but don't worry about it too much right now, a web developer will be able to change anything you wish later. Create subpages and posts/articles, and add some pics. See how it all works. It's very easy, I assure you, as easy as creating a document in your computer.

Keep doing it for a week. After that time you'll know what exactly you want from your website. It is possible that you'll find everything you need for now at worpdress.com . If so, all you'll need will be buying your own domain which you can do from your WP dashboard. If, however, you'll find you need much more, you'll hire a web developer to do the things for you. But by then you'll know exactly what you need and what you want to pay them for. I assure you it'll turn out much cheaper this way.

WordPress is an Open Source system so your work will never be wasted. At any given moment a web developer will be able to move your entire content from wordpress.com to any paid server. So create the content for real, the way you want it to be. In fact, if you choose one of the hosting providers recommended at wordpress.com their team will even move your entire website for free, so you'll need the developer only for the changes you'll want to do to your site, not to build everything from scratch.

Also, as I said, a website is an ongoing process. Don't think that you'll have it finished in two weeks. You may have it up and running in such a period of time, but it'll be just the beginning of your lifetime commitment.

Now, I believe I've helped fulfill half of this oracle:

42.0 Increasing from Hatcher

"The air is full of clues to the meaning of life. Our cultures are full of clues to what we might do with this life. Your gifts will fall to your lot freely given, as if they had fallen from heaven. But they'll have no value or meaning until they are wanted and taken, accepted and put to a use. To gain is to learn how to better receive, to take a gift with gratitude, to honor the gift by wanting what can be done with it. Growth does not need to mean that size changes: when we learn to unlearn what no longer serves us, we may even get smaller and better, do more with less and yet hold more of the world in our grasp. But our job is to give these gains value, and not merely learn they are there. Options, models, tactics, ideas and tools are all free, except for the effort of picking them up. Not everything has been thought, said or done yet, but our records keep getting better, so some of the things we could do, especially bad ideas, no longer need to be tried. The wise ones will move through their multiple choices with a healthy self-interest, just as unable as anyone else to give what they have not first taken. And several whole wide worlds are out there just for the taking."

It's time for your half. Good luck with this!

P.S. Doesn't "whole wide worlds" look just like world wide web?

Leracy

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you very much Sylwia. I really appreciate your reply and how much trouble you took. You are right in so much of what you say, especially about these things having changed so much in recent years. I went to see another developer today. I am a good copywriter but graphics are not my thing, so I want someone to work on 'look' and feel, while I work with 'words' and feel. The one I went to see produces websites that have the look that I want and from there I am happy to manage the content. They use Wordpress, so that's great.

Again, thank you so much for your reply.

sylwia

visitor
Reaction score
Glad I could help, Ann. It was the first time I had the courage to help someone with I Ching reading so I feel very smug right now. ;) Just out of curiosity, what did the first developer tell you?

Leracy

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Sylwia and sorry it took a few days to come back. The first developer put in what looks like a competitive quote but I just don't like the 'feel' of the other sites they have developed. They all look a bit tacky to me. Also I'm pretty sure that the work is being offshored. I don't necessarily have a problem with this, but I have not had good experiences with offshored services that are cheap when my previous employer insisted on going that route on cost grounds.

I went to see a second developer this week and they have put in a more expensive quote, but they personally do all the work and I really like the 'feel' of what they do. And everything in the quote is very clear.

So I've just asked 'What about using <name of company 2> for my website.

20 unchanging.

Seeing, pausing before the next step of the process.

Weirdly I had just asked the Yi about something completely different and got 20 unchanging :eek: Must be that kind of day.

I feel more comfortable with the second company - and they use Wordpress, would set the blog up there, do my business cards etc.

But 20 unchanging?? :confused:

I really need to get on with this.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).