...life can be translucent

Menu

Help with h.24? Should I return home?

jemoceans

visitor
Reaction score
Dear all,
I am now finishing a cycle in my life and after several years of living abroad I feel the family pressure of returning back to my “home country”. I am still not sure where I really want to “settle down”, in fact, nowadays I do not feel like coming back to where I used to live, at least in the near future. I asked the Yi-King what did he thought about me coming back to my country and he answered 24.3.4. After reading LiSe’s page I am wondering whether he could mean “It is likely that you will return back to your home country” or “You should follow your own Tao”...
Then, I also asked another (last) question: if I do return, which will be the main characteristics of that return? And the answer was 37.2.3.5, “The family”!! And I am wondering if that could be due to my family pressure or that I’d start my own family here... I just wish won’t give in to my family’s pressure. Thanks for any insight you might want to share with me.
jemoceans

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
What about me coming back to my country?
24.3.4 > 55

The Image of 24 is about not moving. You are satisfied where you are and would not consider going back if it weren't for family pressure. Line 3 perhaps refers to the stress from wavering on this point. Line 4 suggests your going your own way. Would it be possible for you to satisfy the family by visiting them without returning permanently? You will need to assure them that you are satisfied where you are and that a return to your home country would be a loss for you, that is, that you would lose the abundance (55) you now enjoy.

B

blue_angel

Hi Jemoceans, hi Pocossin,

Happy New Year to you both. Pocossin I'm so glad you tackled this one. I kept reading it, I wanted to help, I just couldn't wrap my head around it. You did it so well. I kept thinking jemoceans doesn't really want to go back to the home country and yet 37.2.3.5 sounded so positive. I had to leave it alone so as not to give bad advice. I did feel 24 was more a return to yourself. :)

jemoceans

visitor
Reaction score
Dear pocossin,
You can’t imagine the importance of your answer in these moments. You could “translate” a feeling I was unable to interpret. You’ve helped me recover confidence on my decisions. I was surprised to learn that H.24 is about not moving, I have always understood the contrary, in the sense of coming back to a place one have been before (which of course implies displacement). May I ask you which elements of the hexagram give that idea of “not moving”?
I will keep my road then, hoping I will not hurt my family :)
jemoceans

Dear blue angel,
Many thanks for taking the time to read and re-read my post. Your last line echoes pocossin’s reply, in other words, it reinforces it. Returning home could mean, in my case, listening to my own desires, tracing my own path.
All my best,
jemoceans

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
May I ask you which elements of the hexagram give that idea of “not moving”?

It's in the Image. Wilhelm-Baynes:

Thunder within the earth:
The image of the Turning Point.
Thus the kings of antiquity closed the passes
At the time of solstice.
Merchants and strangers did not go about,
And the ruler
Did not travel through the provinces.

Bradford:

24.X
Thunder dwells within the earth
To return
The early sovereigns, accordingly, on the day of winter solstice,
closed the frontier pass gates
Merchants and travelers did not move about
Rulers did not inspect the domains

The 'return' is the seasonal return of the winter solstice, celebrated by staying where one is, just as the movement of the sun appears to stop on the horizon at the solstice.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).