...life can be translucent

Menu

Hexagrams and related months

jenatl

visitor
Reaction score
Hello all,

Is there a reference somewhere of which month relates to each hexagram?

Thank you
J

mryou1

visitor
Reaction score
There are 12 hexagrams which denote periods that would be from about the middle of a western month to the next middle. This is based on the solstices and their comparison to the yin and yang. I'll post them here:

34 - March to April
43 - April to May
1 - May to June
44 - June to July
33 - July to August
12 - August to September
20 - September to October
23 - October to November
2 - November to December
24 - December to January
19 - January to February
11 - February to March

As for the rest of the hexagrams, I'm not sure, but you might want to look into the Plum Blossom method.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

Is there a reference somewhere of which month relates to each hexagram?

Thank you
J

There is in the back of some book.....Whincup perhaps....someone beginning with W anyway ?

But why bother there's no validity in using hexagrams to predict months if thats what you are after IMO anyway.

I never understand why people want to use timings with I Ching. There are special methods to do it...and I don't know if they work, but if you don't know how to use those methods then don't bother with timings is my opinion

Last edited:

jenatl

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you for your repsonses.

Trojan - so you're saying that when the Yi says things like 'after the winter solstice' or 'when Spring arrives' those things are irrelevant?

Thank you,
J

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Well I suppose they can be sometimes. Once I asked if my landlord would fit new windows and got 24.6. I did figure from that he wouldn't get it done before xmas so no I suppose I can't say the hexagram months have no relevance at all. Occasionally they seem literally relevant but not that often. I don't believe in Yi as a great predictive tool for timings and think mostly newbies get lost in clinging to the prediction aspect and even more lost when they get hooked on prediction timings

Hex 19 for example, springtime, doesn't have to be literal springtime but the springtime of a particular enterprise etc etc. Likewise 24 is only very occasionally going to refer to actual solstice. More often its going to refer to the return cycle of something else. These times of year are generally metaphorical.

Still don't mind me....you explore it how you feel it to be relevant :) you might be righter than me :eek:

jenatl

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks Pocossin!

So, I take it the first column is the calendar month but Eastern or Western?

J-

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
I take it the first column is the calendar month but Eastern or Western?

The first column begins the month. There are five hexagram in a Chinese lunar month of thirty days. Each line of the five hexagrams stands for one day. The four hexagrams in the rightmost column (51, 30, 58, 29) govern the seasons and do not count as days. As to Eastern or Western, there is Chinese precedent for interpreting the hexagram calendar however you wish. Yang Xiong (2 BCE) adapted it to the time period from winter solstice to winter solstice, a purely solar calendar.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).