...life can be translucent

Menu

How important are the individual lines of the second Hexagram?

How important is the text of the changed lines in the second hexagram?

• It is more important than the main text of the second hexagram.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jacquesvillon

visitor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been using the IC for 12 years now and do so ever more, trusting it's advice absolutely. I run all my major decisions re. relationships, whether business, friendship or romantic past the IC and find that I have become impeccable in my behavior. I even trust myself now to do readings for friends.

I learn ever more, but of course I often get perplexing answers and this site is a wonderful source of rich content.

I have only been using the second or "resulting" hexagram over the last 2 years and find most of my insecurity in interpretation around this topic, so I thought it a good idea to post a question about it.

I actually once asked the IC how important it is to look into the texts of the second hexagram and the answer came that it is very important and yet I see that so much of the advice given on this site regards the main text of the second hexagram far more important than the texts of the changed lines in the second hexagram.

Let me take an example: I ask the question "Should I pursue a relationship with X now?"

In the reading 42.5>27 the movement is from

Increase--* Nine in the fifth place means: If in truth you have a kind heart, ask not. Supreme good fortune. Truly, kindness will be recognized as your virtue.

to

Corners of the mouth (Providing nourishment)--* Six in the fifth place means: Turning away from the path. To remain persevering brings good fortune. One should not cross the great water.

42.5 urges forward, but 27.5 advises to persevere with the intention, but not to take action yet.

Where I often become hesitant in taking action is in such a case. So the question to the forum is this: Is the notion of Nourishment that the relationship will provide reason enough for immediate action and thus more important than the caution 27.5 warns about? Ignoring the warning could effect a premature action.

I have done many readings where the advice of the secondary hexagram's individual line seem totally contradictory to the advice of the primary's line and the main text of the secondary hexagram.

Warm wishes for 2013!
Jacco :)

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
I don't consult any line in the resultant hexagram as a moving line. While some line or other of the resultant hexagram can have a general bearing on the question asked, it is more productive of a useful answer to regard the second hexagram as the context in which the question is being asked. Of course, it is not as simple as that. But I don't interpret the lines in the second hexagram.
:)

deusa

visitor
Reaction score
Well, i'm so new to this i was hesitating if to answer or not.
I read the text of the moving lines and see if it makes any sense. Just that. But i'm just learning...

Sometimes it does.
Once I cast 51.3 > 55 and 55.3 was very pertinent really... It was Trojan that pointed that out to me...

But other times it just doesn't seem to be that helpful...

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Well, i'm so new to this i was hesitating if to answer or not.
I read the text of the moving lines and see if it makes any sense. Just that. But i'm just learning...

Sometimes it does.
Once I cast 51.3 > 55 and 55.3 was very pertinent really... It was Trojan that pointed that out to me...

But other times it just doesn't seem to be that helpful...

You mean here http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?t=16157 ?

That was a mistake. I viewed 55.3 where i should have looked at 51.3 as that was the line you got

I think it's a daft habit to read the changing lines in the second hexagram. I mean the fan yao may cast a bit of light on the answer...but to make the fan yao as important as the line cast is silly IMO.

So sorry you were misled there i just made a mistake

ETA i just see fan yao useful as it sometimes shows what you answer isn't or sometimes just to see how the lines reflect each other, but that's about as much use I make of it.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Let me take an example: I ask the question "Should I pursue a relationship with X now?"

In the reading 42.5>27 the movement is from

Increase--* Nine in the fifth place means: If in truth you have a kind heart, ask not. Supreme good fortune. Truly, kindness will be recognized as your virtue.

to

Corners of the mouth (Providing nourishment)--* Six in the fifth place means: Turning away from the path. To remain persevering brings good fortune. One should not cross the great water.

42.5 urges forward, but 27.5 advises to persevere with the intention, but not to take action yet.

Where I often become hesitant in taking action is in such a case. So the question to the forum is this: Is the notion of Nourishment that the relationship will provide reason enough for immediate action and thus more important than the caution 27.5 warns about? Ignoring the warning could effect a premature action.

I have done many readings where the advice of the secondary hexagram's individual line seem totally contradictory to the advice of the primary's line and the main text of the secondary hexagram.

Um I would take 42.5 as your answer. It is afterall the answer you got. 27.5 might be the opposite/inverse of your answer. There is no need to consider 27.5 at all unless out of interest in the line pathway. If 27.5 were your answer you would have cast 27.5.

Its that simple IMO

Oh also 42.5 doesn't move to 27.5 it just moves to hex 27....no need to get hung up on 27.5 at all

jacquesvillon

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks, Trojan,

Yes I am able to make things more complex than they need to be! :)

deusa

visitor
Reaction score
Funny enough, trojan, in that specific case it was very helpful...

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
yes there often proves to be a good reason for mistakes

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail: