...life can be translucent

Menu

the pattern of change

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
There is a third hexagram hidden in every casting. It is the hexagram made by taking changing lines as yang and unchanging lines as yin. For example, in the casting 1.1.5.6 > 32, the pattern of change is hexagram 42.

mryou1

visitor
Reaction score
I used to use this process all the time. Kinda got out of the habit of it though. I find it easier to deal with 2 hexagrams and try to figure out the broad meaning from there, than three hexagrams.

Though it does help me consolidate the meaning of various lines, which can be difficult when there are a few.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
from Hilary's blog

You can represent the pattern of changing lines in two opposite and complementary ways: by drawing each changing line as yang, and each unchanging line as yin, or vice versa – representing the change as an open space, as yin, and the unchanging lines as yang. The yang pattern (changing lines shown as yang) I find shows the ‘gateway in’ to a reading: it often captures the moment of asking the question in some way. And the yin pattern (changing lines shown as yin) shows the ‘gateway out’ from the reading, the way through and beyond it. It can show a way the reading might be put into action – and as such, it can be a source of advice.

one can see two hexagrams from change pattern not only one....there is not only a yang change pattern but also a yin change pattern, as described above where all change lines become yin and the rest yang.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Change patterns are very interesting and I think it's always good to note them, they add that extra dimension....give more flavour for the interpretation.

Having said that i often just don't notice them....but it has to be significant what hexagrams the change lines make.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Here's more info on change patterns from the 'Learn' section.

The Patterns of Change

The Patterns of Change consist of a pair of complementary hexagrams. They're also referred to as change operators by Stephen Karcher, who's done the most work in developing them as part of his extensive interpreter's toolkit. The Yin Pattern is created by replacing each changing line with a broken line, and each unchanging line with an unbroken line. The broken lines represent the spaces that are open for change - fertile ground for transformation - while the unbroken lines represent persistence. So if lines 1 and 4 are changing, this generates a Yin Pattern of Change of Hexagram 57, Gently Penetrating.

This hexagram provides a general picture of how (or by what means) the situation may change - the landscape that defines the scope for change, or how you might move in order to open new space for change. It has the feel of a 'gate' through which you might go out from the reading.

The Yang Pattern of Change is simply the opposite of this, formed by replacing each moving line with an unbroken line, and each stable line with a broken one. So with lines 1 and 4 moving, the Yang Pattern of Change is Hexagram 51, Arousing:

Here the unbroken lines represent how change acts, and the broken ones represent unchanging form. This provides a more dynamic picture of the pattern of change at work in the situation. It might feel like a gate through which you enter the reading.

You might also be interested in the 'hexagrams of context' for a reading.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
I used to use this process all the time. Kinda got out of the habit of it though. I find it easier to deal with 2 hexagrams and try to figure out the broad meaning from there, than three hexagrams.

Though it does help me consolidate the meaning of various lines, which can be difficult when there are a few.

This third hexagram seems helpful in identifying the quality of the situation rather than events in the situation. For example, in the stolen kombi thread

http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?t=16483

the casting is 34.1.2.4 > 15, and the pattern of change is 54, persons in an inferior position. That is the quality of the situation for the couple whose kombi was stolen.

mryou1

visitor
Reaction score
The only problem I have trojan with getting yin lines out of what changes is that the whole reason you would get the yang lines is that it's based on binary, specifically an XOR process. There's no mathematical basis, as far as I can tell, for getting the "Yin Power of Change". But it is interesting I suppose. I'll have to try to apply it sometime.

In fact, I was looking through some of my older readings/castings and it really seemed to help me using the "middle trigram". I don't know why I got out of the habit.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The only problem I have trojan with getting yin lines out of what changes is that the whole reason you would get the yang lines is that it's based on binary, specifically an XOR process. There's no mathematical basis, as far as I can tell, for getting the "Yin Power of Change". But it is interesting I suppose. I'll have to try to apply it sometime.

I learned it off Hilary who learned it off Karcher I think so it's not my idea. Karcher is probably the one to go to for more explanation. I'm somewhat allergic to Karcher finding his writing thick, woolly and obtuse so I get this kind of stuff predigested by Hilary ...she seems to be the middleman with that kind of stuff. There is so much to learn about patterns in hexagrams and so on.....there's all this for example
http://onlineclarity.co.uk/answers/category/connecting/

dilson

visitor
Reaction score
Sergio, thanks for sharing the paper about the operators published by Prof. Schoter and then rewritten in conjunction with Karcher. I wonder when to use this knowledge. I mean when can I apply the operators. Are they valid for every reading? When are they important? Thanks in advance for any further comment from you or from other members.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).