...life can be translucent

Menu

Plum Blossom

S

seeker

Does anyone know anything about this form of I Ching reading? I was at the bookstore tonight and saw a book by Lillian Too. Seemed a bit simplistic to me, but I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion and if the Plum Blossom was something this particular author cooked up or a legitimate technique.

I did pick up the only copy they had of Alfred Huang to add to my collection. I agree with the online review here that his interpretations are somewhat more positive. Even 29 doesn't sound so desolate. And I really like his interpretation of 25. Its the first one I've read that made any sense to me. I've gotten it a couple of times lately, but the most telling, especially for Mr Huangs interpretation was when I asked if I could trust X. That was prompted by a well-meaning friend who said she thought all the wonderful things he said to me were just lines and maybe he was just using me. I got 25.1.6, which Mr. Huang defines as without falsehood, wish all my readings were that clear
happy.gif
Line one also seems to support that, and line 6 I think either indicates it wasn't our time to be together, or X didn't think it was our time to be together. Either way, yeah Mr. Huang
happy.gif

bradford_h

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hi Seeker
Go to Google Advanced Search and enter both "Shao Yong" and "Plum Blossom".
The system is about eight centuries old.

Frankelmick

visitor
Reaction score
Seeker,

I also like Alfred Huang.

Do you know his book, "Numerology of the I Ching"?

I really like that book and he gives a version of the Plum Blossom divination using the time of day and the date.

It involves a little bit of mental arithmetic but it's not too tricky and I use it every so often.

For example, if I'm out and there's something on my mind and I happen to notice a clock and then there's that little jump inside - do you know what I mean? Then I might use the Plum Blossom divination to work out an I Ching hexagram with one changing line. It often gives a judgement that makes you smile.

Would you like me to post a description of the method that I use?

Best wishes,

Mick

yly2pg1

visitor
Reaction score
Mike,

Please do so. I have been searching for one all the while ...

yly2pg1

visitor
Reaction score
in fact, i have been using a method to divine for people who have never come to know i-ching.

I happen to met a new colleague from US headquarter who has been transfered to his new Division after 4 years stuck at his old place (due to market plunge)in the same company. For a start, he was sent to the other part of world to visit the overseas plant in my place.

At first, he appeared to be depressed and uncertain. At one company function where i happen to sit beside him, he told me about his bad experience for the past 4 years and the reason he was transferred into his new place.

So I asked him to divine his new experience at his new place which he is happy to do so. Staying quiet and cool, i ask him to follow his "inner voice" to pick 6 numbers randomly out of 6,7,8,9.

He picks 8,6,6,7,8,9 - dawn of the day ...

S

seeker

I'd be interested in it too, always looking for further insight.

Frankelmick

visitor
Reaction score
Seeker/Yly2pg1,

This description of Shao Yong's Plum Blossom method comes from "The Numerology of the I Ching" by Alfred Huang page 170.

Number the trigrams in King Wen's Ba Gua arrangement starting from Heaven in the North-West like this:

Heaven = 1
Water = 2
Mountain = 3
Thunder = 4
Wind = 5
Fire = 6
Earth = 7
Lake = 8

Form a question in your mind and make a note of the time and date. In this case I asked , "What is my fortune regarding posting this Plum Blossom method on the Clarity website?" at 20:35 on 16/09/2004.

To get the top trigram, you use just the date. Add the day, month and year together to get one number. 16 + 9 + 2004 = 2029.

Work out what the remainder is when you divide this number by 8. If the remainder is 0 the answer is 8. This is not too bad to do in your head because you only have to keep track of the remainder:

8 into 20 leaves 4, carry the 4, 8 into 42 leaves 2, carry the 2, 8 into 29 leaves 5. So the top trigram is 5 = Wind.

For the lower trigram add the hours and minutes to the big number, 2029 + 20 + 35 = 2084

Repeat the division by 8 to find the remainder for the lower trigram:

8 into 20 leaves 4, 8 into 48 leaves 0, 8 into 4 leaves 4. So the lower trigram is 4 = Thunder.

(I sometimes take the short-cut of recognising that you're adding 55 which has remainder 7 when divided by 8, and then adding 7 to the previous remainder. 5 + 7 = 12 = 8 remainder 4, so the lower trigram is number 4 Thunder.)

So the Hexagram is Wind over Thunder = Hx 42 Increasing. Very favourable!

Now for the moving line. Divide the date plus the time by 6 and the remainder is the moving line. If the remainder is 0, the top line changes.

2084 divided by 6...

6 into 20 leaves 2, 6 into 28 leaves 4, 6 into 44 leaves 2. So, the answer to my question is Hx 42 with the 2nd line changing to give Hx 61 Innermost Sincerity.

Well that made me smile
happy.gif

Perhaps this post will help to Increase the Innermost Sincerity of people by showing you a method of consulting the I Ching that you have with you at all times?

Alfred Huang translates 42,2 as

"Probably being increased,
A tortoise worth ten pairs of shells;
Cannot be refused.
Being perseveringly steadfast and upright:
Good fortune.
The king is engaged in presenting to the Lord of Heaven.
Good Fortune."

Best wishes,

Mick

yly2pg1

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks Mike! I will try out this method and give some feedbacks ...

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).