...life can be translucent

Menu

Time for a Change, I think

geekymary

visitor
Reaction score
I'm currently working a "day job" which is frustrating me. My true aspiration is to be a writer full time. I'm thinking it might be time to move on.

This morning, I got
24 Fu changing to 23 Po
Change in the 1st and 6th lines.
I'm reading that to say change is coming, but I shouldn't act quite yet. In fact, I think I might even get let go (which would hopefully mean a nice severance). But my time there is limited.

And then I threw again and got
1 Chi'en Unchanging.
Yes, I think it's time for me to bet on my own creative power. I've been debating on whether or not I should get another day job or a part time job, and maybe I shouldn't. Maybe I should go all in and just focus on my writing.

What do you guys think? Am I on track here?

geekymary

visitor
Reaction score
1st question - what if I quit my day job and wrote full time?

2nd question - should I get a part time job in addition to writing?

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
If it were to be interpreted literally, I'd say your answer is that if you stripped your job, you would have to return to it, or another like it, eventually. If you catch this quickly, then you move along, to and fro, but if you miss the time to return, you may find it difficult to just pick up where you left off.

I don't see your answers as absolute, but as a journey, otherwise what would you be returning from? I see no right or wrong in your given choices, only that coming back to your integrated self is essential. Like fishing: reel in the slack line that's been stripped off the spool. Keep a taut line, and focus. This is the time to be picky and choosey.

It's been my experience that what will happen, will happen. And that the Yi isn't in the business of destroying Mistress Mystery.

mryou1

visitor
Reaction score
If you're thinking of being a writer full time, you're never going to... sorry to burst your fantastical buble. What's that called: Oh yeah: a pipe dream. But even Bukowski had a part time job. If you want to be a writer, you got to make it a passion, not a job. Come on!

geekymary

visitor
Reaction score
Let me clarify a little. Writing is my passion; I've been writing novels for six years. But I've felt some frustration with the day job. It takes up a lot of time and I feel I can't commit to my writing as much as I want to.

I'm fairly certain I'm going to leave this job I have now, certainly in its current form. The question was what to go to. Should I write full time (supported by my husband until I can bring in income, however meager), or would it be better to take a part time job?

What I got from 24.1.6>23 was that it was time to bite through the bullshit, the distractions of work and the reliance on my cushy income and focus on what's important (writing and family). But I shouldn't just "take this job and shove it." I should hang in there and the job will take care of itself.

As far as working part time, I'm reading Ch'ien as meaning that I will create my income myself. I'm not going to go to a company and ask them to give me a career. Instead, I should make it myself out of my own wits. Maybe this will mean freelancing, or getting gigs when I need them, but I'm not going to be a regular, corporate, full time employee anymore.

Does that make a little more sense?

(oh, and mryou1, saying that writing for a living is a pipe dream? Did you see that in the reading, or is that just your opinion?)

poised

visitor
Reaction score
Let me clarify a little. Writing is my passion; I've been writing novels for six years. But I've felt some frustration with the day job.

What I got from 24.1.6>23 was that it was time to bite through the bullshit, the distractions of work and the reliance on my cushy income and focus on what's important (writing and family). But I shouldn't just "take this job and shove it." I should hang in there and the job will take care of itself.

geekymary, I certainly sympathize. I've made my living writing all my life, sometimes as an in-house writer for various companies and institutions, sometimes freelancing. I know well those Not Going To Take It Anymore days when I've run for the exits. An internal balance scale tips, and I have to go. Those were not always wise decisions financially, but I knew I could always return to work and a paycheck if I needed it. It's always worked out. But then, I've always had to produce income, and I have a long resume. .

I noticed that you asked about getting an MFA last month...and I wonder what you decided to do about it? I would imagine that at the heart of the matter, you are seeking the best avenue away from the workaday world into a more creative life. The creative life is not necessarily an easy life. Because if you are going to be a professional, writing becomes your job. But on your own terms.

I'm staring at that 23 Splitting Apart or Stripping, wondering whether it might indicate the really big picture, which is an economy that may or may not disintegrate at any time. If your husband makes all the money you need, that may not be a factor in your equation. But you might consider it.

For me, and I'm not necessarily very good at this, Hex 24 is a lovely return to center. Lise calls it Return to Your Town. Your Road, Your Tao. " A Tao can only be followed if one flows along with it. Trying to stick to one road all the time will not work." http://www.yijing.nl/i_ching/hex_17-32/hex_e_24.htm This really feels like the message of your heart to your mind today.

The first changing line is reasonably auspicious: " The best way to return from an error is from out one’s own insight. Regret also makes one return, but usually too late. Someone telling you is a way too, but when your own insight is not part of it, you will probably make the same fault again" A cautionary "trust yourself" message, I think.

But then comes line 6. " Losing the way at returning. Pitfall. There are calamities and mistakes. To set the army marching ends in a great defeat, causing the country ruler a pitfall. For 10 years incapable of a rectifying expedition."

What could be calamities and mistakes you might make at this turning point in your life? I don't know, but believe you do. After considering all of your necessities and priorities, and with that 23 looming in the distance, what will you choose? Have you ever submitted a manuscript to a publisher or agent? Have you had encouraging feedback? Do you understand your market? Are you staying abreast of changes in the tumultuous publishing world? Have you talked with successful published authors? Do they like your work?

If you have not done some of these things, my hunch is a part-time job and an MFA would be a good compromise, furthering your true calling while keeping a roof over your head or Manolo Blahniks on your feet. Or perhaps a good job writing for a company or agency or whatever interests you. Reports, PR, that kind of thing...which eventually turns the stomach, but it's good practice. And if you can produce magazine articles, that looks good on your book publisher bio.

Some women can get up at 4, write until 7, feed the children, make lunch for them and her husband, go to work, come home and make dinner, clean the house, write from 8 until 10 and do very well in the publishing world indeed, creating money and housekeepers and many Manolo's. Do you have this kind of physical energy? I never did, bless you if you do.

If you are a veddy veddy literary writer who would be offended by making a living at it, by all means, ignore everything I've said.

Best wishes to you:)

Last edited:

geekymary

visitor
Reaction score
Dear Poised -

Thanks so much for the response.

I am applying to two MFA programs that would start next year, so I'm very excited about that. I honestly think I'm going to get let go from this job I have now.

I do know the business--my first novel got to the "no, but send more" level, and my second one is in the final polish land. I'm thinking of self-publishing the first one, but building a readership through a blog first (it's a steampunk book, so I'm thinking of a blog that told short vignettes of where the novel is set so I can garner some eyeballs before I try to self-pub. But that takes time, which I'm currently spending doing change management for projects that never come to fruition at work.)

That change at line 6 scared me, too. It felt like a "go for it, but don't muck it up!" I tend to "muck up" by focusing on the wrong things: getting distracted by buying the perfect desk or pen, or by playing on Facebook when I get a little stuck, or by chasing after trends to try to get editors to like me.

I've been writing in the mornings when I'm able to work from home, but lately Day Job has put the kabosh on that. So I think a part time job might be the prudent answer. (and my poison is more along the lines of Chuck Taylors than Manolo Blahniks, but I see where you're coming from. :) )

Cheers!

kkappa

visitor
Reaction score
1st question - what if I quit my day job and wrote full time?
24.1.6>2.6>23
Really bad call, you're going to end up in a struggle that you're not going to gain anything from and you'll just end up in the same situation over and over again. Don't try to lead, follow the time.

2nd question - should I get a part time job in addition to writing?
1 un. You have all the potential, but you need to plan your next step very carefully, don't be arrogant towards the people who can help you along the way (including your current colleagues!) or impatient.

geekymary

visitor
Reaction score
Those two changing lines are killing me.
Line 1 seems to be saying "go for it":
Return from a short distance.
No need for remorse.
Great good fortune.

But Line 6 is all "don't do it":
Missing the return. Misfortune.
Misfortune from within and without.
If armies are set marching in this way,
One will in the end suffer a great defeat,
Disastrous for the ruler of the country.
For ten years
It will not be possible to attack again.

Hexagram 24 is splitting apart, and seems to be advising me to be prudent. (is it me, or does every
reading say to be patient?) But I can refocus my efforts on my writing, maybe even trim my hours a bit.

And Hex 24 is also reminding me that This Too Shall Pass.

(But I want an Oompa Loompa now!) :)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).