...life can be translucent

Menu

38.3 to 14

moegx

visitor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I asked the Yi a question about a relationship I am having with a woman I am friends with. I wanted to know if the relationship would become sexual in the next three months. I ended up getting 38.3 going to 14. 38.3 sounds like a bad hex to end up with. Any help would be helpful.

Thanks
Moe

cguleff

visitor
Reaction score
Moe,

You're right, 38.3 is not the most favorable hex you could have drawn, but 14 hints of something quite positive coming out of the experience for you. Obviously you are insecure about the prospects for a sexual relationship. Are you getting mixed signals? I've been in similar situations. How would you feel about a totally non-sexual relationship with her?

Chris

moegx

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Thank you for the quick response. 38.3 seems to have the feel of something starting out bad and than turning around at the end to something positive? I have never had 38 as a hex before and find it quite dark. If anyone can give me any incite into 38.3 or 38 I would appreciate it. I find it interesting that when I ask the Yi a question about her, I seem to end up with hex 14 in the mix.

Thanks
Moe

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
"I wanted to know if the relationship would become sexual in the next three months. I ended up getting 38.3"

Sure, it might become sexual, but it won't be without its price. 38.3 says you get what you want or need, but via the route of humiliation. Not very auspicious, in other words. Of course, you might opt for it in any case, and knowing what I do about lust, I wouldn't blame you. But my guess is that if you forge a relationship out of 38.3, it's going to be difficult to take the next step. I mean, Hex 38 is all about polarization and opposition - not very promising in the area of relationships...

But what's difficulty? It's just difficult, right?

bradford_h

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hi Moe

Sounds to me like you each ought to enter this relationship with your own can of mace, and start the thing at ten paces :)

More seriously though, has either of you gone through a really bad trauma? Has she, for instance, ever been raped? This is one of the things the line could refer to. Could be trust issues. Or learning to be grateful for what you have left.

At least a caution to remember you began this as friends. And if intimacy falls apart, try to stay friends.

moegx

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks Dobro and Bradford for your response. I?m still a bit confused on what it is trying to tell me. So 38.3 is trying to tell me that if I pursue a sexual relationship with her I will go thru some type of humiliation or trauma? What about hex 14. It seams to be an encouraging hex to get in a question like this. If anyone wants to add something to this please feel free.

Thank you again,
Moe

moegx

visitor
Reaction score
So what it?s telling me is that I will go through some type of humiliating experience in the next 3 months and after that 14 hints of something positive coming out of the experience. Going through some of the books that I have, I found that depending on what book I looked at the translations varied. Both of Stephen Karcher?s books Total I Ching and I Ching The Classic Chinese Oracle of Change have a bleak outlook, but books by Sarah Dening, Alfred Huang and Jack Balkin seem to say things will start out bad but turn around in the end. One last question is how does the nuclear hexagram work in a situation like this.

Thanks
Moe

C

candid

Moe,

This is my impression of the change line. It may be from either your perspective or hers. Maybe both.

One sees the wagon dragged back, the oxen halted: You feel inhibited and disadvantaged. Progress is halted.

A man's hair and nose cut off: You feel very unattractive, and you loose your sense of dignity.

Not a good beginning, but a good end: Defer gratification while gaining confidence in this relationship.

Just my curiosity here, but why is it necessary to put a time line on intimacy? Usually intimacy grows out of trust. Trust can't be rushed, but it can be retarded.

moegx

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Candid,
Thanks for the input. Man, I had to read this a few times, because you hit it right on the head. (Feeling inhibited and disadvantaged. Progress is halted. You feel very unattractive, and you loose your sense of dignity.). It?s funny how you can read the same thing in several books and someone else says it in a certain why and it all makes sense. To answer your question on using a time line, I usually use some sort of time limit when asking a question. Is that something that is unusual to do when asking the Yi? Could you or anyone else give me any incite into how nuclear hexagrams work in a question like this.

Thanks again
Moe

C

candid

Moe,

You?re very welcome. Glad it connected.

I see. You?re working within the timeline of Yi rather than the timeline of the relationship. That makes more sense to me.

Just a thought on 14. I think this speaks to the confidence issue. It points to your inner richness. First, finding your wealth. Then doing the best with what you?ve got. (For what it?s worth, I?m no Brad Pitt myself, but I am aware of my strengths.)
happy.gif

Sorry, but I don?t use nuclear hexagrams.

learner

visitor
Reaction score
Dear Moe,

I used to get the 38 third line whenever I felt at a disadvantage in a particular situation (either a professional issue or a relationship). It worked in the way described by Candid. On the whole, things cleared up and ended up well, eventually.

Hope it helps
Mirian

moegx

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Learner, thanks for the response. Interesting that you bring up 38 and relationships, I have only received 38 twice and they where both relationship questions. Well I guess I?ll have to see how this one is going to turn out and wonder what the humiliating experience will be.
Thanks
Moe

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).