...life can be translucent

Menu

Am I meant to become a singer?

glampradachick9

visitor
Reaction score
Hi guys, it's great to be back.

I have been trying to pursue singing for a while, and I'm having trouble figuring out if it's my calling or not.

I know how competitive it really is, but it's my dream and desire to start a successful band.

I don't have the best voice ever, but I am taking vocal lessons to help it.

I'm also moving to LA to really pursue this dream.

I have been told by my mother that I would never be successful in life if I tried to pursue music. She really put me down and said that I would fail 100%, and that I had zero talent. :(

I want to ignore her and just follow my heart's desire anyway.

So I casted two readings on this. I need to know the honest truth. I casted the same question twice (because I wasn't sure if the first one was accurate or not). I asked if becoming a successful mainstream singer for a band was my calling.

I got hexagram 23 turning into 2.
and 27 turning into 24.

Thanks. I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

kash

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am not sure what to make of this one. Firstly, you shouldn't ask the same question more than once. Not in such close proximity, anyway (and some might say never, though I guess it depends on the question). The first answer is always the one to look at, after that the answers get smaller and smaller and move away from the real issue towards your current state of mind. I know this because I'm as guilty of this as anyone.

When there is only one line changing, I tend to look at that line and pretty much ignore the second hexagram. In this case you got 23, splitting apart with the top line changing. 23 is a rather unpleasant hexagram. It talks of stripping away and collapse. But the line itself is a good line, which talks about stripping away stuff that needed to go. I would say that according to this, it looks like it's saying that isn't your calling. On the other hand, if I were you, I wouldn't let this reading stop me from pursuing my dream. You obviously enjoy singing, you want to do it and it sounds like your mom is trying to hold you back for some reason. I think if you didn't try to go for it you'd hate yourself for the best of your life. I don't see a disaster in this reading, just a stripping away of illusion or maybe even of negativity. The measure of success is also subjective. You might dream of fronting a band as big as the Beatles but you may find yourself singing and enjoying yourself as part of a band that's not mainstream successful but makes you happy anyway. I'd ask something about moving to LA: what would happen, what should you do about your idea of moving there, or something like that. If that reading doesn't spell disaster, I'd go for it.

G

goddessliss

Follow your heart. Let go of what or who doesn't serve you. Don't make it the be all and end all of your life. progress as you can and see where it takes you. - Liss

poised

visitor
Reaction score
I asked if becoming a successful mainstream singer for a band was my calling.

and 27 turning into 24.

You might reframe your question, as "successful" depends so much on outside influences. Becoming a successful mainstream singer seems like an idea, an image. Singing (verb) is a stronger concept. How much do you love to sing?

My first thought on Hexagram 23, having lived in LA for ten years, is that the experience strips away a lot of energy, illusion, even health and happiness from those who try to "make it" in show biz. Grueling, really. So many talented people there who never get a break and/or get used and abused by others. The best-looking waiters and waitresses in the world attest to the problems of becoming "successful." Competition is fierce. Of course, a handful make it big. The top line leading to Hexagram 2 suggests possibilities.

Would it be possible for you to take lessons where you are and develop your talent as much as possible before plunging into the H-wood cesspool? If you are determined to go to LA, you will find that the best teachers only take on the best students. Working with topnotch teachers (Hexagram 27, providing nourishment) is a possible pathway to becoming a professional.

I admire your dream, suggest you ground it in research, dedication, and preparation (27) before taking on the rather nasty music business.

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
As I sat here pondering a short, clear answer, I refreshed the page and read the post from poised. She said everything I was thinking, so I'll affirm it.

I've played NY clubs a lot, toured and recorded some, but pedaling my junk in LA was the most depleting experience of that entire chapter. The requirement to move my small family to LA was the sole reason I stripped that ship. It's like another planet. Those I hung with went out of their way to try to live a normal life. You need rigid clearance to go watch the Eagles play softball at a high school park on a weekend. Crazy way to live, whether you're on top or the bottom, or under some exec's desk. No class. They used to use a casting couch at least.

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
I asked if becoming a successful mainstream singer for a band was my calling.

and 27 turning into 24.

On a more affirming spin, line 6 of 23 has always been an optimistic sign. In addition to there being fruit which has not been eaten, which could mean unexpected experiences gained that you could only know by giving it a full effort attempt, there is the unknown reward gained by doing.

What I'm getting from 27 to 24 is to return home, perhaps indicating a local go-round or auditions with some bands, or find those who are interested in backing you in a local project. Jumping directly into the LA scene appears to be something you're not yet ready for, but there's no harm in gaining experience, being nourished by it, improving your craft, maybe finding a good agent in the process. They can make or break you, again nourishment of your singing career aspirations.

Good luck!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).