...life can be translucent

Menu

Confusing Question about harmony 62.1 to 55

newlife123

visitor
Reaction score
Hi friends,
Last night I consulted the Oracle with the question:
"What do I need to learn in order to have harmony with myself and with the world."
I got 62.1 to 55 which seems like good advice. However, I don't understand is 62.1 which is a line that implies that I will get misfortune due to hastiness or premature bold action. Now why would such action change to hex 55 which signifies abundance? Shouldn't an inauspicious line change into less unfortunate hex instead of a good one?
Your opinions please.
Thanks,
Karl

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Karl,

Others who are more eloquent and experienced can probably remark on this with more clarity, but the I Ching is not quite so cut-and-dried. About 62.1, you are correct that the line is inauspicious, but I consider it more gently so...it is telling you "not yet" or "don't be so hasty." In fact, to me, it is a crystal clear answer to your question! What do you need to learn to have harmony with yourself and the world? Well, the I Ching is telling you the answer is to look before you leap; to take your time; to not try to fly too soon (the image being a fledgling bird who tries to fly before it is ready, and meets with misfortune). Maybe you have a tendency to rush, to overextend yourself, or to take on projects you are not able to handle or complete.

The hexagram it changes into in this case, Abundance, is indeed auspicious. But the way I read it is this-- if you follow Yi's advice as stated in 62.1 (don't try to do things you are not ready for), then you will find Abundance and all it signifies.

newlife123

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks mulberry,
And let's say I do decide to take of too to early and too high like the line suggests, will I still arrive at hex 55?
See that's what is confusing now what happens if you get an auspicious hex with and auspicious changing line that changes to an inauspicious hex?
See what I mean?

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
I think the following hexagram comes to pass if you follow the advice in the hexagram. 63.1 is showing the way not to go, if that makes sense, by giving you the imagery of the wrong direction. So, if you heed the advice and avoid being the bird who leaps from the nest too soon, you will lead to abundance. It isn't showing that the bird who leaves too soon gets to abundance. The bird is merely the imagery that shows the heart of the matter, which is urging you to slow down and not go beyond your limits. Not going beyond your limits leads to 55.

Yes, you can get the opposite-- an auspicious hexagram and auspicious changing line that lead to a more difficult hexagram. But you should cross that bridge when you get to it as it will probably work in context somehow. I have found the I Ching is almost never wrong. And "auspicious" and "inauspicious" are mostly not totally black and white-- there is some uncertainty and nuance.

newlife123

visitor
Reaction score
I think the following hexagram comes to pass if you follow the advice in the hexagram. 63.1 is showing the way not to go, if that makes sense, by giving you the imagery of the wrong direction. So, if you heed the advice and avoid being the bird who leaps from the nest too soon, you will lead to abundance. It isn't showing that the bird who leaves too soon gets to abundance. The bird is merely the imagery that shows the heart of the matter, which is urging you to slow down and not go beyond your limits. Not going beyond your limits leads to 55.

Yes, you can get the opposite-- an auspicious hexagram and auspicious changing line that lead to a more difficult hexagram. But you should cross that bridge when you get to it as it will probably work in context somehow. I have found the I Ching is almost never wrong. And "auspicious" and "inauspicious" are mostly not totally black and white-- there is some uncertainty and nuance.

Thanks mulberry. I am not trying to pester you for all the answers here and I understand what you mean but don't you think that just leaves way too much room for interpretation? Well all I Ching readings have to be read in context no?

precision grace

visitor
Reaction score
Yes I know how to play chess but I don't understand where the strategy applies here PG.
[2482]Yoda.JPG

Attachments

• [2482]Yoda.jpg
    [2482]Yoda.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 57

newlife123

visitor
Reaction score
If you don't know then just say so. Why act like my master or something?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks mulberry,
And let's say I do decide to take of too to early and too high like the line suggests, will I still arrive at hex 55?
See that's what is confusing now what happens if you get an auspicious hex with and auspicious changing line that changes to an inauspicious hex?
See what I mean?

No....this isn't a confusing answer, it is a very clear answer. A small bird flies too high....what a great answer. What you have to refrain from is constantly trying to over reach yourself. You need to take more care of yourself as if you were a little bird that is safer to fly close to the ground. Don't take on things that feel too hard or don't place such high demands on yourself, go easy on yourself...and also as others have said , be patient with yourself. If you keep pushing too hard you will hurt yourself. That is not anything to do with predestiny...it's just Yi's helpful advice....kind advice.

You need to let go of the idea of auspicious and unauspicious hexagrams IMO...will give you a link. And you also the idea that the second hexagram is the one you 'arrive' at. It is not 'the future' alone but the backdrop.

Maybe you could read more around the forum, like this blog post on the topic of the relating hexagram

http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/frie...g-post-The-old-‘resulting-hexagram’-conundrum

I say that because I think if you read around other parts of the forum you might get away from this limiting idea that consulting the I Ching is only to be told what will happen. Oh and also you will get new ideas on how to interpret your answers. If you only ever read this section 'shared readings' you can stay a bit stuck .

You aren't going to 'arrive' at 55 you are already in 55...it's already part of your answer, it's not a destination

Last edited:

cornucopia

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Karl, this is my take on your casting.

I got 62.1 to 55

I always take the first hexagram as your existing habits, thought patterns or situation. Sometimes it shows a person.

It shows that you make a move before you are ready. This usually leads to unfortunate encounters or situations that you are not able to avoid. No one is perfect. Don't be hard on yourself. You have to pay more attention to the details. Stick to the tried and tested ways you know. When you are not ready to take a major step forward. Wait until you have a wider understanding of the situation and its needs and requirements (yours or others involved).

I never read the commentary for the primary hexagram only the changing line. In hexagram 62 line 1 points out what you need to change or what is changing in your present situation or frame of mind at the time of the reading. Line 1 shows that at the beginning of something you feel that you are not ready to take the major step but you go ahead anyways.

Hexagram 55 talks about great abundance and that's where it confuses, but there is a gloomy atmosphere connected to it. The main message is: Be like the sun at noon. Shine your brilliance no matter what happens to you. This is how you will achieve harmony. Your concern has to do with the laws of cause and effect. When something has reached its height then a decline occurs. This could also relate to mood swings. A decline of great abundance of something is natural. Like the waxing and waning of the moon. However you can delay the coming of decline or disharmony (in your situation) by careful management and attention to details. When a relationship or business is in a period of abundance and prosperity great caution should be taken to prevent disharmony. People become used to an easy situation but they should not forget the law of cause and effect. Hexagram 55 is difficult to translate in modern English.

The main meaning is that you will always go through good times and bad times. Times of harmony and times of disharmony and that nothing lasts forever. So treasure the good times when you have them and understand that you cannot always achieve perfect harmony. It shows that a time of harmony is coming your way.

I hope this helps. If not let me know.

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).