...life can be translucent

Menu

Another Job Question with an Ominous Reply from Yi-- 23.3.4 -> 56

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Hello, I asked a few weeks ago about what was happening in general with my workplace, which is a perennial den of iniquity with some benefits (enough to have made me stay for the past 3 years). That thread is here: http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?16962-Job-related-question-63-4-gt-49 The answer to that inqury (from the previous thread) included the "finest clothes turn to rags" line which gave me great pause, though it also fit the situation. (The company's finances are fine, but my boss's personal ones are not and she raids the company coffers often for her needs.)

I have recently found out that a position is opening at a foundation where a friend of mine works. It offers the same flexibility and four day a week schedule that my current job has (the only thing keeping me here). The issue is that this place, too, is run by a single director who is something of a narcissist, though a nicer one than my current boss as far as I can tell.

I didn't ask what would come of taking that new job because I'm not sure yet if I'll be picked, but I did ask of Yi, "What would come of staying at [my current job]?"

I received a very unpleasant answer-- 23.3.4 into 56. My two most dreaded hexagrams, one leading into the other! The "He splits with them" in line 3 actually puts me at ease, because it seems to indicate that perhaps I will leave this place (my current job) which is certainly an unpleasant environment at times. However the 4th line is quite disturbing and makes me worry that I may not be able to leave soon enough before it is truly unpleasant here or something bad happens to me here.

Thoughts? I really appreciate any and all insight...I am forever confused about whether to stay or leave this job. I have twice gone through the whole process of looking for other work, finding it, interviewing, and actually being hired, only to turn down the new position in favor of staying here because the hours are so good, and there is no dress code or long commute. But now I feel like it is really time to go but I am still scared to leave and perhaps end up somewhere worse.

Thank you, truly, to anyone who has wisdom or insight into this situation.

Thank you!

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with 23.3 and 23.4? Or 23 turning into 56? Thank you!

cornucopia

visitor
Reaction score
Hello Mulberry

IMO hexagram 23 shows your exisitng situation. You want to do away with your old job.

LINE 3 - You are involved in a negative situation. Stick to your principles. If others behave nasty that is not your problem do not get involved. Refuse to identify yourself with them. You should break from a bad company and join with an honest company and honest associates. You need to make choices and distinctions that will separate you from some of your associates and present arrangements (working 4 days a week maybe).

LINE 4 - Something happened you are faced with misfortunate circumstances and can do nothing too avoid it. Matters have gone too far for you to be able to change events. Your position is unstable at the moment and that is why you are restless and want to leave. Be careful how you go about it or you can be close to disaster. (Maybe find a new job first then leave).

It's not to your advantage to be unemployed while looking for work. There is danger of being let go. Is something going on where you are now that has made your position unstable or redundant? Will you get good references?

"What would come of staying at [my current job]?"

Hexagram 56 from my understanding has many meanings beside travel. I see it as a transition period. Your position is temporary - there is no job security. Be polite and cautious in all your interactions. You will need good references if you leave. Do not expect much from this position. This is no place for long term arrangements. They can let you go at any time. You are in a vulnerable position. If you want to change jobs it happens now or not at all. It could also be showing your feelings of restlessness and wantng to leave because you feel that your position is unstable. I would definitely start looking for something else. Something that offers future security.

Last edited:

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks cornucopia. I went into it a little in the earlier thread, but I have been at this company since leaving school three years ago. My boss has a mental illness and is prone to crying hysterically in the office and going into sudden rages...and then she is suddenly OK again. I've had three co-workers quit in the three years (there is only one other position besides mine and the boss's, so that is a lot!) The new situation now is that my boss has hired the daughter of a family friend to fill the other spot, after my third coworker quit in March. The new woman just started this week. She is very nice, but my boss has me training her to do my job...with the idea (supposedly) that I will then do the job of the woman who left in March. (Since March I have been doing both jobs with no extra compensation.) My boss is paying the new woman considerably less than me, yet treating her with greater respect because she is the daughter of her friends. I feel a bit like I have been shunted from wife to concubine status, to speak in I Ching terms, ha. At the same time I have no attachment to this position beyond its good working hours, easy dress code, and the vacation time/equity I have built up here.

I'm not sure what to do as I have a hunch something unpleasant is brewing, but I'm not sure exactly WHAT... I had this feeling before asking Yi, and now the feeling is heightened by his warning and agreement. Not sure what to do next. I can afford to be laid off (I could survive a good year or two on unemployment plus odd jobs), but not to quit right now. I suppose I should start looking for a new position. I am not sure what to do because there is nothing concrete I can put my finger on...just a feeling.

cornucopia

visitor
Reaction score
Mulberry look for another job! They are dishonest with you. They are thinking of letting you go at some point. If they let you go they will not give you good references. Do it now be the first to leave with dignity. Good luck..These people are not honest with you. They see you as a foreigner not part of the larger scheme. They have no need for you.

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Hi all, I realize I never updated this thread. I DID end up leaving my terrible job, though not until the following spring (about a year ago). Cornucopia was right, and my boss was dishonest with me (though not terribly so). She ended up forcing me out and replacing me with someone she's paying 1/3 less. But I was not sorry to leave and I'm fine now.

As far as the job at the foundation-- that's an interesting one. That place folded and my friend was laid off unceremoniously within a month of my post (summer of 2013). The woman who ran that foundation ended up becoming very sick and has since passed away. So it is really unclear if Yi was answering about my old job or about the foundation (that no longer exists) with the 23.3.4 -> 56 line. It does describe the general flavor of the whole thing, though. Interestingly, none of it directly affected me really or at least, there was all kinds of conflict and upheaval but I was more of an observer in all instances and did not directly suffer much.

Everything turned out fine in the end.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).