...life can be translucent

Menu

28 (again). 28,4

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
I would really like to get some understanding light on hex 28.4into 48.
Just recently got it for asking about something I really would like to know whether to expect anymore, kinda tired of all.
The whole of hex 28 I see as coming/came disaster, dissbalance to say the least...line 4 promises establishment of equilibrium IF..... then followed by a short lived renewal as water rises all over your head and oops, you are in emotional abyss of hex 29 - "Rolling In The Deep" by Adelle comes to mind.
I guess I wonder what is the warning or is line 4 saying to me here : you are ok the way things are now, asking for more would not be wise, or - yes, that is doable BUT.....? :eek:uch:

Could you be wise as usual please :bows:

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
hi dragona

not sure about the 'wise as usual' :rolleyes: but line 4 I think is the line of the rope in the well - it's the tool, or means, to reach what you want. On its own, it should be enough to get you there whereas adding more on it -either demanding more, or even, adding a supportive system- would mean that its core function would suffer, so, working with what you already got is what this line is about, to me.

29 is what you are actually aiming for here, the repeated practice of facing the deep and coming back from it with your bucket replenished and full of fresh, cool water

tuckchang

visitor
Reaction score
In my opinion, 28.4 means: do not overdo what is needed, while the earthen bucket of 48 breaks before the rope reaches the top, which is not the fault of the well but the drawer (due to people’s selfishness, or greed, or .....).

Regards
Tuck
www.iching123.com

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you both, but if it was your cast, would you interpret it as a sign to give up on your goal (partnership seeking) or not?

precision grace

visitor
Reaction score
maybe I am wrong, but I tend to view 28.4 in relationships context as saying : you are older and wiser now and know how to avoid trouble.
don't know if that helps.
It's probably not saying you should give up, just be realistic.

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
The sky is falling..

The names of the main characters in the fable - Chicken Little/Chicken Licken and Henny Penny - and the fable's central phrase - The sky is falling! - have been applied to people accused of being unreasonably afraid, or those trying to incite an unreasonable fear in those around them. - Wiki

"People accused of being unreasonably afraid" is in the same spirit as Wilhelm's "If there are ulterior motives, it is humiliating." It's enough to get the ridgepole in place and secure. Then the seriousness of the situation amps down to more manageable levels.

28 says to me, you're out of control. Yi says to me, no you're not. Return to the well.

tuckchang

visitor
Reaction score
The beam of 28 is bent due to largeness (i.e. Yang) in excess, 大da過guo, the name of hex 28.
The beam of 28.4 rises (because its Yang is balanced with Yin), auspiciousness, but 有you(to have)它ta(it, the pronoun of the third party),吝lin(resentment), which means: if there is another (Yin), it will be resented.

The inner hexagram of 48 (lines 2, 3, 4, 3, 4, 5) is Kui (38), wherein discrepancy alienates people from one another. The changed hexagram of 48 is Shi Ke: biting through (21), a ferocious strife of the weak being the prey of the strong, signifying people start to fight for water once the well is drilled and water found.

Regards
Tuck
www.iching123.com

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
More support in or from the center is the essential metaphor of line 4. I can't figure out why the house would use a ridgepole that was small on the ends and larger in the middle. Or maybe that's the point.. no pun intended.

I do know that excessive emotional weight feels as though the roof is caving in. There's probably too much emphasis on self-importance, and not enough on self-reliance.

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
'Self-reliance' is a good term with this line, imo.

Iow, don't reach for the moon and stars but a walk and getting some coffee down at the local shop won't do you harm . .

gene

visitor
Reaction score
The way a line is interpreted depends on the question and the situation, so there is no way I could say, " I would interpret it this way" without a question. Any line can mean anything. It has to be in a context. But as a general spiritual reading, the line can indicate a time for reconnecting with spirit, or a time of developing ourselves mentally, spiritually, and emotionally, and therein lies the reason that it connects to hexagram forty eight. It is only by shoring up our spiritual understanding, (drawing from the well), that we can brace our position in life, and improve our karmic resonance and balance ourselves emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.

It is important not to get caught up in the concept that a line means this or that. In and of itself, a line means everything, and nothing.

Gene

tuckchang

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Gene,

It sounds that we have some concepts completely different.
In my opinion:
1) From the viewpoint of studying what I Ching tells us, the text of each line must be interpreted according to the name of a hexagram and in a context.
2) People can use what they understood from the meaning of the text to apply to a casting.
3) Divination is intended for an action.

It is quite normal that a casting might be paraphrased differently by two persons. Our local philosophy of this is: you come to person A, which is your fate; person A makes a suggestion of x, which is also your fate. When the specific question of whether to give up seeking partnership came up, I thought that it is better to explain why I did those explanations of 28.4 and 48. As to how to read 28.4 into 48, it is the reading method in one’s mind.

What I don't understand is: how do you give an explanation of 48 ending up with misfortune when you see it a good sign?

Regards
Tuck
www.iching123.com

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
Well, I like to think that IC is answering the specific question if our mind is really set on it but always talks mostly and firstly about our current state and frame of mind.
I also like to think that I am not supposed to over think the answer, more go by my own idea of the message given, even if it is not formed and clearly formulated in my mind. But I also think that is a mistake, since the answer should be getting through completely or why else ask for it?
So in this case, I was surprised by getting hex 28, that would suggest things are really out of balance and I am so used to it and not even noticing the real state of them. But the emphasis is on repairing my well, restoring my balance and not (overly) burden the other - the beam lifted up I think suggest presence of others.
Further asking of what I need to know about the subject produced 56into 57 so I think the message is it ends well and I get what I aimed for.?
But by all means, continue your discussion...

Last edited:

tuckchang

visitor
Reaction score
I am not familiar with your reading method; usually I will read 28.4 if it is moving only, or 48 if 28.4 changes; however in this case both say to me that seeking partnership is recommendable. It is true that people can obtain a better understanding on a specific question according to their current conditions and frame of mind but in my opinion the text should be misread if it is taken as the basis for judgment.

I am not saying that my reading is right or correct to the casting of 56 into 57 but just show how a pre-understood text can be also applied to a specific divination.

Hex 56 means ‘to develop outwardly and in adversity’, i.e. due to the difficulty which one encounters in the current situations, one must seek an outer support, which will be a tough process, but it will be auspicious if one can persist in what a traveler should perform, i.e. to meekly submit to adversity and stop in a manner of civilization (do not fight but stop).

Hex 57 means: to do what is intended with a low profile (or without exposure of one’s intent) and by making use of a person who has the influential power to establish one’s OWN business.

Regards
Tuck
www.iching123.com

Last edited:
P

peterg

Tuck
I wonder if you know about the edit option available for the first 24 hours on new posts when logged on ?

A peripheral matter :
Last time I checked, your book Unveiling the Mystery of the I Ching is not published. I wonder if 'print on demand' is a viable option ? Thats how I got a copy of the Takashima Ekidan by Kaemon Takashima from general-books.net and through Amazon I think. Its not as good as the original but it is a compact book.

tuckchang

visitor
Reaction score
Hi perterg,

I see the button of edit post. Thank you.

I have had no intent to do it for the commercial purpose but I need proofreading before putting it available in any printing form; a quality one is very costly here and I couldn’t get approval from my wife:flirt:. Honestly speaking, I have never dared to try and see what will happen to me if I didn’t listen to my wife, not only this one but also all the others. I am not a poor man but just a poor guy:brickwall:.

Regards
Tuck

P

peterg

Thanks for the reply.I dont know about the technical details of 'print on demand' books but in the case of the Takaskima Ekidan there is no attempt at proofreading or fixing of the many typos, or missing text or index.There is no separation of chapters and you are probably lucky to get paragraphs.But thats fine so long as booksellers prewarn.And I'm happy with the product.
The idea is to cut costs and sacrifice quality for availability.And they offer a free download of the original typo-free scanned book, which is anyway already free online as a pdf.

tuckchang

visitor
Reaction score
Hi peterg,

I thank you very much for the information and advice. Here is not the right place to discuss my personal issue. But in fact my English is a problem and occasionally I received some feedback in this respect.

Regards
Tuck :bows:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).