...life can be translucent

Menu

Hexagram 40 line 6 - Should I do an MSW?

Magnus

visitor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not sure how best to interpret this. I asked the I Ching if I should do an MSW (as the question states in the title). I received 40.6 and line 6 on ifate.com says:

This line is a call for you to free yourself from anyone who has betrayed you. Here, the hawk symbolizes an unwise person who has somehow managed to finagle themselves into a high position. Such a person is clearly not a friend to have around. Send them flying on.

With regard to my masters degree I already completed, I feel there were a couple of people who were involved in my studies which were not helpful to me in regards to advancing in the career path at that time, but they have nothing to do with the Master of Social Work degree.

Looking at other interpretations, basically all of them suggest that this changing line suggests that success is guaranteed though. I'm not sure if I should pay attention to the information from ifate.com or if it's irrelevant for this changing line and situation?

redarmada

visitor
Reaction score
I often find that I must consult several different translations to find a statement that really "attaches" to my question- of course, the Yi knows you, as well, and probably has something specifically intended to connect with your consciousness.

In the case of 40, "Deliverance" or "Release"- through bitter experience I often have had to learn that the Yi rarely tells you straight that things will be just great no matter what. Line 6 seems to suggest to me that, whatever you're doing, you have to "hit the mark" exactly, in one shot, and *then* harvest is sure. So make sure you're standing on top of "high rampart" so that you can clearly see your target and the environment it's in. My metaphor runs out of steam here... Perhaps getting the MSW will be a "harvest", if you can do the necessary work correctly and without delay (no wasted arrows?)

Magnus

visitor
Reaction score
If it involves hitting the mark in one shot, I wonder if that means doing a program where I can go straight to MSW rather than having to do a BSW first? That (BSW, then MSW) would seem like taking two shots to accomplish one goal. I didn't ask which of those two options I should take, but its interesting that the I Ching can answer things in ways you would never expect.

S

sooo

Two common traits of Yi's guarantees are that they are:
a) conditional
b) temporary

Even if there was only one Great Water to cross, you'd still have to return eventually.

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
I asked last week Yi's advice in order to identify a certain hindrance and got this line. Can't be of much help as I still mulling over it but I have highlight two words ; "hawk" and "means"

"should I do X" questions oftentimes receive a additional question rather than a concrete answer. In your case , I would speculate that the reading invites you to reflect on at least two things: what are you aiming for; what you have in your quivers ; Matching those in a efficient and effective way is the success this line refer to , which, i agree with others, it is conditional.

If you decide to go for it ,as a thought initially, wonder if you can use in some ways the studies you have already done in order to avoid the Bs. Some Masters are open for slightly "irrelevant" specializations and demand only some courses that either you have already cover or they take less time than a BA.

In sailing , first thing you do is decide the destination and then you draw on the map the best route the landscape and the vehicle allows you.

angelatlantis14

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Magnus,

both anemos and redarmada have essentially already pointed in the right direction: consider "what are you aiming for; what you have in your quivers" and "hit the mark" exactly, in one shot, and *then* harvest is sure".

So in other words, there is still something to be done, and you need careful preparation.

I feel that the interpretation you quoted initially is too literal, and too focussed on a bad influence from outside. In other interpretations I have seen, and also from my own take, I'd say it can equally mean, get rid of some hindering influence within yourself to reach your goal. Is there something in you that would prevent you from going for this degree? Self-doubts or anything? The line could equally well apply to that.
Also the changing hexagram for 40.6 is 64 Not Yet Completed, or From Chaos to Order. That too, would to me signify that there may be hindering factors (inside or outside) that would first need to be cleared away (shoot the hawk) before a sucessfull path to completion can be taken.
Overall, I'd say the reading is positive for your question and tells you to go for it - after removing any obstacles that may still be in the way.

Hope this helps

maui

Magnus

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input everyone!

Maul, I like your mention of self-doubts. I feel like my life has been somewhat at a standstill the last year or two. I'm not sure what exact doubts they are, but maybe doubts of being able to succeed being the person that I am. People in the program I completed about a year ago influenced how I felt about myself in a way, or at least brought the feelings to the surface if they didn't influence in any other way. I guess it might be worth asking the I Ching what way to remove these doubts?

Magnus

visitor
Reaction score
Thinking about this topic recently, I decided to ask the I Ching today, "Please give me insight into NOT doing an MSW at this time" and I received the result hexagram 55 changing line 6 leading to hexagram 30. I've been looking at other opportunities and asked this of the I ching because I wasn't sure if the MSW would really benefit me or not. It looks to me like it's saying that not doing the MSW would be fine and lead to good things. I was thinking that it suggests that other opportunities might be better than doing an MSW, do others think this might be the case too, given how I worded the question rather vaguely asking for insight into not doing the MSW?

angelatlantis14

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Magnus,

you are right, the question is worded somewhat vague :) But, taking it in the spirit it was intended in, I think it tells you what the consequences of not doing this degree would be, and my interpretation bases on that...
What is interesting here is that you have two opposite forces in 55.6 and 30. 55.6 speaks clearly of hiding your assets/light (He peers through the gate and no longer perceives anyone. For three years he sees nothing. Misfortune.), of a person who has potential and riches but willfully isolates himself from the world. This is not a good thing, and misfortune follows. 30 on the other hand speaks of radiating a sustainable light , a fire that does not burn itself out. Go with the flow and cultivate an attitude of acceptance (Care of the cow brings good fortune).
In connection with your question I'd take this to recommend strongly you acutally do get your degree, and not hide your light under wraps, but instead go where your talent takes you. Not doing it would result in isolating yourself from your abilites. I personally do not think the reading advises you to not do the MSW degree, but instead on other opportunities, for the single reason that you asked about the MSW and not those (unspecified) opportunities.
Maybe you can recast the question in a more straightforward way asking "What would be the consequence of doing / not doing the MSW?"

Hope this helps
maui

Magnus

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks Maui! Good insight I hadn't considered.

What would be the consequences of not doing an MSW? 61.5 > 41

Leading to decrease, this one sounds like the future might hold less in it than it would with the MSW.

What are the consequences of doing an MSW? 18 unchanging.

I'm thinking 18 looks like a negative hexagram. But are there other interpretations? Could this mean something positive?

angelatlantis14

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Magnus,

as a matter of fact I do not take Hex 18 to be negative at all. Consider the text:

WORK ON WHAT HAS BEEN SPOILED
Has supreme success.
It furthers one to cross the great water.
Before the starting point, three days.
After the starting point, three days.

To me, this seems to say, that things have gone the wrong way for a while - caused likely by something from the past. Most of the lines speak of things being spoiled by the father and mother (I guess not always literally meaning the family, just pointing out that there are things from past and personal history that have an impact there).
So now, you need to start working on remedying this. It will be big task, and must be started only after due deliberation (Before starting, 3 days) and will take patience and endurance while being accomplished (After starting point, 3 days). Apart from the reading, this seems to be pretty good advice for any academic endeveaour :)
Also the Hex says clearly that by working on these things, supreme success will follow.
So I would not exactly see this Hex as negative as such, just seems to say, that you start from a difficult position, and need energy and patience to get to a successful outcome.

There is I think a thread about unchanging Hexes in Exploring Divination, so that might have some good information for you.

Hope this helps

maui

Hope this helps

Magnus

visitor
Reaction score
Interesting, Maui! I can see how family (mother and father) could be referred to in this particular reading so it was worthwhile for you to point that out! I have had issues understanding what is important in life based on some of the ways they have interacted in the past with each other. So maybe something about that needs to be worked on for me to move forward effectively.

I did another reading about the MSW, asking Would doing the MSW have any effect on me getting to be K's boyfriend? The result, patience was the hexagram 5, changing lines 1, 2 and 4 leading to hexagram 31. I'm not entirely sure how this answers my question. I'm thinking maybe only patience will tell me if such an endeavor would influence my chances or not. My understanding of 31 is that it would be good things to come, but it probably isn't as clear cut as it seems either.

"What are the effects of NOT doing an MSW on my chances of being K's boyfriend?" hex 6 unchanging, which looks to me like more of a negative reading, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
What are the consequences of doing an MSW? 18 unchanging.

I don't think of it as necessarily negative. It's the work of fixing or removing stagnation (or neglect). I think the 18 simply means there's a lot of work of a certain kind to be done.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).