...life can be translucent

Menu

Perplexed as heck, and the Yi is adding to my confusion 25.1>12 ; 7 unch; 49.4 > 63

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
Perplexed as heck, and the Yi is adding to my confusion 25.1>12 ; 7 unch; 49.4 > 63

Saw someone who is very dear to me today whom I'd neither seen nor spoken to for quite some time. There are, historically, a lot of unsaids, which poses difficulty as I like things up front, honest, and clear. There are things that need sorting out, but the venue today was professional and not suited to that type of exchange.

He seemed nervous around me, flummoxed, whereas I've only known him to be the calm, cool and collected type. It reminded me of a teenager with a crush on someone - you know, awkward, unfocused, papers getting scattered and the like. It was touching in a way, but very perplexing. And oddly, the more nervous he seemed, the calmer I was (and I was already pretty zen going in).

So I asked Yi: why was he so nervous around me?
25.1 > 12 -- blocking innocent behaviour that can bring good fortune?

And further So how did he feel about seeing me again? 7 unchanging - get organized dude??

And finally So what happens next? 49.4 to 63, for which I've found conditionally different nterpretations on the forum:

Icastes (http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/frie...507-Trying-to-make-the-most-of-change-49-4-63) says "49 is about abolishing the old and what was bad. 49 is the revolution in a good way, while 63 is the establishment of an ideal situation."
While Willowfox replies to the querant (http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?4977-hexagram-49-changing-63) "If you are planning to do something big out of selfish reasons, then don't do it as otherwise it will backfire on you. But if you do something that benefits others then no problem. So think carefully before proceeding. "

Whose ideal situation? Doing something that benefits whom? Depending on the POV of the reading, the answers can differ.

Can someone help make me make heads or tails of these hex? :bows:

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
We run into problems as soon as we ask what others were feeling. Yi's responses to such questions become very difficult to interpret. We get clearer answers when we ask questions from our own point of view.

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder, Ginnie. I (should) remember that, sometimes though having a conversation with Yi about things I can't figure out helps.
The third toss has no POV, it just asks what happens next/now what - another way for me of saying so what do i do with this observation/situation/perplexity.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say 25.1 would indicate he wasn't nervous around you or at least if he was nervous it had nothing to do with you. 25 is 'disentangled' not caught up in design, schemes and so on. It stood out as a clear answer to me so no need to ask the other questions IMO.

Maybe you would be better off just using a Yi text rather than getting caught up in what others have said about various lines. You have to remember what I or anyone else says about a line is not that line, it's just our ideas about it.

The actual translation of I Ching from Hilary's book is, for 25.1, simply "Without entanglement, Going on, good fortune". That's it, that is what the I Ching says. Everything else is just others ideas not the I Ching.

My ideas about the translation of "Without entanglement, Going on, good fortune" here for you is basic. You are looking for reasons about why he was nervous, but he was acting in innocence, disentangled, there was no particular entanglement, or nervousness arising from being with you. That's how I'd take the answer here anyway. So you can relax and not worry about it. No need to ferret out complex motives here....

another way for me of saying so what do i do with this observation/situation/perplexity.

ETA these words show your belief that there might be entanglement, words like 'perplexity' you are looking for something complicated and 25.1 says there's no need, it's simple, nothing to get caught up in.

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
There are things that need sorting out

are there or is it just you who thinks there is and the other person is actually quite okay with things. That's what 25.1 made me think. You think things need to be sorted out, but they don't. 25.1 is pretty much saying there is no sorting out to be done.

Yi isn't adding to your confusion, you are. It's all a lot simpler than you think

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to respond, Trojan. I do start off trying to understand hexagrams and lines reading Hilary, Legge and LiSe. I'm learning, and consulting what experienced readers have to say on the same combinations for similar topics when a hex search provides examples sometimes helps. Sometimes it makes more sense to me to consider just the first hex when there is only one changing line, sometimes trying to put the two hex together into a sentence provides more insight, and so on - things I am learning from the forum.

So for you 25.1, everything was fine. But I was there, and this person was very nervous, it was not my imagination. Why that was, I haven't a clue. Considering the resulting hex (12) suggests a sentence that makes a bit more sense to me, even if it does not shed light on "why". Some readings on the forum I've come across seem to suggest too that in order to avoid the resulting hex (if it is not favorable), one has to heed the advice in the changing line of the initial hex. I'm still feeling my way through these different ways of considering reading combinations.

As to things needing sorting out, yes there are. Both have expressed that, there just hasn't been an opportunity to do so (time/travel constraints).

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Some readings on the forum I've come across seem to suggest too that in order to avoid the resulting hex (if it is not favorable), one has to heed the advice in the changing line of the initial hex.

That's a nonsensical idea as it presupposes

a) the second hexagram is the 'result'
b) that the relating hexagram is something to be avoided.

So the second hexagram isn't the 'result' or the future, although it may have elements of both. It is more like the context of the question, the whole context, the backdrop. With just one line moving, 25.1 I don't think hex 12 is essential to getting the answer personally. When one line only moves it is pretty central for interpretation IMO. Will give a link if can find it on the relating hexagram.

Without doubt 25.1 is lack of entanglement...like the very opposite of complex motives or designs. It may be suggesting you go to that state...or that he is already not much caught up or that actually neither of you need be caught up by complication. Take your pick.

I guess 'sorting it
out' may actually mean getting disentangled, getting free, less complexity.

So for you 25.1, everything was fine.

:confused: no I'm not referring to personal experience here but the line of the I Ching, what it actually says.

I have of course had it many times and it's a reassuring line....nothing to fret about.

You can keep on saying there is....but the I Ching is saying there need not be, there isn't much to sort out.

You ask I Ching for another view....and that is the view you get. Up to you if you accept it or not.

I've nothing more to add but will find a Blog post on the lines and relating hex

Oh plus Ginnie is right, it isn't satisfactory to ask from another's POV, answers may be hard to decipher and really what you need to know is what you need to do, how you need to respond, not his motives etc etc...those are his concern. However I just saw that 25.1 as a pretty straight answer that he was far less caught up at that time than you imagined. But..... if you think you already know what he thinks why are you asking Yi :confused: If you already have a fixed idea of how things are there isn't much room for you to hear Yi's answer

Have you thought of doing Hilary's free course ? Seems a better idea than just searching forums and getting random ideas....although you learn that way too

Ah here is that link from Hilary's Blog on the relating hexagram http://onlineclarity.co.uk/answers/2013/06/01/the-old-resulting-hexagram-conundrum/

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Oh and thinking of how 25.1 might connect to 12...well it's the first step to breaking the standstill of 12 isn't it...there will be connections but I can't think about it now and don't feel it matters much for your question

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
So for you 25.1, everything was fine.
no I'm not referring to personal experience here but the line of the I Ching, what it actually says.

That's what I meant :)!

So the second hexagram isn't the 'result' or the future, although it may have elements of both. It is more like the context of the question, the whole context, the backdrop.... Will give a link if can find it on the relating hexagram.

I had read Hilary's blog post on the relating hex conundrum and her advice on trying first to string a sentence together. Guess I'm learning the grammar if I did not piece those two properly.

I guess 'sorting it out' may actually mean getting disentangled, getting free, less complexity.
That resonates with me, thanks.

Have you thought of doing Hilary's free course ? Seems a better idea than just searching forums and getting random ideas....although you learn that way too
I had downloaded it over a year ago and skimmed through (not good, I know). I hope to have a chunk of (uninterrupted, quiet) time over the holidays to work with it seriously. It's hard to learn anything properly, especially this, in disconnected spurts.

Thanks for your help and teaching, Trojan.:bows:

Oh, on a completely unrelated note -- what does it mean when one repeatedly gets a specific hexagram (unchanging, initial or resulting) to questions on a specific matter? For nearly a year, I have been getting 62 most of the time concerning an issue in my life that is weighty, not evolving much and over which I have little control/influence, save how I choose to react to it (that's one part where I have progressed). At one point, I remember asking (in frustration - I wasn't zen when I tossed and failed to note the exact combination that came out) why do I keep getting 62, what am I supposed to learn from it -- and got a 62 as part of the answer.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
why do I keep getting 62

Hexagram 62 speaks to the need to be down-to-earth and to take care of all responsibilities conscientiously, overlooking no detail. It especially pertains to financial transactions. Avoid flamboyance or attention-seeking behavior. Whenever I am in a hex 62 state of mind, I am feeling emotionally vulnerable. It's important to remember what happened to Icarus, who flew up too close to the sun on wings made of wax. So, Yi is telling you that this is an area of life where you don't have a lot of personal power, to stay humble and dignified. I hope this has been helpful. It can be sort of uncanny when we keep getting the same hexagram over and over again . . .

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you Ginnie. I'm going to have to chew on that for a while to figure out the connection.

My financial situation is not good and as I mentioned in another thread (on the Yi and shopping) I've cut back spending to the bone. I tend to like being by myself a lot to begin with (bit of a hermit), and belt-tightening has added a layer of isolation in the process of taking care of my (financial) responsibilities (staying humble and dignified in the process is a question of pride/self-respect too!).

But the 62s i've been getting relate to matters of the heart I don't post about that hurt. Feeling emotionally vulnerable? You bet. Over time, these 62s have invariably spoken to or warned about (as I understood them, and I may be wrong) deceit, misplaced trust,betrayal - all those delightful things that cut to the core. The currency of the heart??

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Yes, I think 62 speaks of treacherous times emotionally. And it's so important to be careful, even reverential, and totally correct.

Stephen Karcher writes: "This time of transition is ... imaged as the hunter and the prey, the bird taken or not taken in the net. ... Remember, in this time you are the bird, not the hunter. Motto: 'Keep a Small heart.'" Keeping small, you are able "to detect the 'littlest possible thing,' something hardly visible that is the precise place where things turn and change."

So, you are feeling sensitive and you actually need this sensitivity to get through successfully.

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).