...life can be translucent

Menu

Work (60.1.4 > 47) or not work (1.2 - 13)

deepstillwater

visitor
Reaction score
Hello

I previously asked for work advice here

http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?17895-Job-advice-2-3-to-15

The follow up information was that the next day was our Christmas party and over lunch the creative director announced a number of people will be joining the company permanently... Everyone that was on a contract was mentioned but me. Someone even commented to another person surprise that they didn't mention any thing nice about me (not that I had a great year or done really well etc etc). I felt as if I was slapped in the face, that I didn't have their support and that I should leave. I waited for a bit and then went to talk to my friend who askedme what was happening next year with me. I said I didn't know and as I had been keeping a very strong happy presence up to then, and the announcement so rattled me I could not help but to tear up.

Unknown to me then, the managing director grabbed the creative director and took him out of the room. When he came back in he came straight over to me and told me very complimentary things. That I was one of the top of my class, that they wanted me to come back next year and start on jan 6.

I said yes. That was what I wanted. Etc etc

He said when uni goes back we can then negotiate what works best for all of us.

This has been an emotional roller coaster for me. This job has been so stressful and hard the past year...

I'm worried about my ability to cope next year working and doing my honours... Also I worry that my work is not supportive and actually detrimental to my mental well being. Perhaps I would be happier just studying and with less stress. And the creative designer is so unpredictable! He is hard to work with.

But having the job means I am a working designer (it's hard to find work) the opportunity of work after uni finishes,I have help from other experienced designers with my projects... And money! I need the income. Work also promises that I will have many more opportunities to grow my skills.

I asked

What would be the outcome of working for the company during the semester next year?
60.1.4 > 47

Sounds painful, but building something good in terms of skills. Ultimately though perhaps not staying at the company

What would be the outcome of NOT working for the company during the semester next year?

1.2 > 13

Seems like less stress, and also availing opportunities. Potentially being open to find people I can work with.

Do you have any advice or thoughts? Thank you for your help, I do appreciate it.

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
I think Yi have just summed up all that you already know (sometimes i hate Yi for this :deadhorse: )

---------------------Working
60.1 -> 29 Limited options, line 4 -> 47 Feeling restricted.
29.4, Legge:
Shows its subject (at a feast), with (simply) a bottle of spirits, and a subsidiary basket of rice, while (the cups and bowls) are (only) of earthenware. He introduces his important lessons (as his ruler's) intelligence admits. There will in the end be no error.

Basically you carefully serve the king(creative director) within limits imposed by him, while he provides you with modest food (salary).

Internal hexagrams give the same picture: 27.3.5 Nourishment -- by --> 37 Following social structure/rules.
Not the ideal work environment, but you will be fed. It will also teach you a lesson about knowing your personal limits.

----------------------Not working
1.2 -> 13 (Fellowship); Internal 1.1 -> 44 (Seduction)
Hex 1 says you step back into position of choice, and line 2 yes, says from that place you can find your like-minded friends and this thought seduces you a little )
But also if you look at fan yao 13.2 -> 1, it warns you about competition with another designers.

Choice is yours, I would only recommend to follow your gut feeling, if it doesn't feel right now it probably won't feel right in the future.

deepstillwater

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks ashteroid for your thoughts - they were a great help.

I've been thinking over the options for a long time, and I keep waivering between them both. Ultimately though, hanging on to the job will be the best thing to do (competition is very strong in design, so the fan yeo of 1.2-13 is quite apt).
The next year will be hard, bust as you say show me the edges of my limits.
I'll let you know how I go

All the best

G

goddessliss

Hi deepstillwater,
Good luck with everything - I know how hard it is here in Australia to get work not just for myself but for my very creative son who also lives in Melbourne. I'm flying up to visit him for a week on Wednesday and looking forward to seeing the somewhat cosmopolitan city. Hope 2014 brings you lots of good things for Uni and work. Liss

deepstillwater

visitor
Reaction score
Liss - thank you for your kind words.

I hope you enjoy Melbourne!
I've lived almost all over the world and this city is really lovely.

Perhaps I even know your son. I hope 2014 brings you and your son creative possibilities and all wonderful things. x deep

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).