...life can be translucent

Menu

I've drawn King Wen's sequence with black and white dots

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
Yesterday while looking at all the hexagrams to the left of the I-Ching research tool here an idea came into my head like a lightning. All the hexagrams are rotated 180 degrees! They are in pairs, not only 1 and 2, but all of them, wow!

After 5 minutes of glory in my head I thought "I can't be the first to realize this", so I googled and of course there is already a book written about it.http://www.artsofchina.org/A/Figures.html

Then I've found this page:
Wikipedia Dual_hexagrams, a very beautiful and logical representation!
These pairs are mirrors/polarities! I immediately saw the meaning of 27 - Lack! because 28 is Excess!
7 is a general and 8 is a king.
13 are followers and 14 is a cultural leader.
51 is shock and 52 is tranquility, of course!

Then I've discovered this marvelous diagram:
image20b.png
Which totally makes sense.

At first I just wanted to experiment with binary numbering, I still do, but I decided to draw King Wen's sequence and see what happens.
I took all the odd hexagrams and stacked them into the right side, and even ones into the left side.
Here it is, gray lines are in my mind some kind of markers:
wen3_big512.png

As cute as it is, I thought that something is missing here, two halves are not complete mirror images of each other.
So I shifted all the reverse/opposite lines to the left by 3 pixels/dots.
wen3_shift3L_big512.png
Isn't that cool?
Human at the bottom, alien/god/future human at the top.

So then I horizontally duplicated the image and took the central part, i.e. shifted/rotated the whole image 6 pixels/dots more.
wen4_shift3L_cen_big512.png

It is King Wen, as an angel, and with his halo/crown!!!

Now all the images together:
style="width: 720px" align="left"
|-
|
wen3_big512.png
wen3_big512.png

|
wen3_shift3L_big512.png
wen3_shift3L_big512.png

|

Just look at them, and also you can tile them and they will fit, left/right and up/down!

Last edited:

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
Xiantian diagram

So here are smaller versions of the pictures, resampled to help you see the image.
align="center" style="width: 500px"
|-
|
fft_wen3_shift3L_48res.png

|
wen4_shift3L_cen_48res.png

|-

I have also completed the binary sequence diagram, the inverse of Shao Yong's Xiantian diagram.
As software developer I just didn't understand why binary number 000001 (1) was assigned to hex 23.
Hexagrams are drawn from bottom to top, top line being the most significant, and the most significant bit in a binary(and decimal too) number is the left one. I.e. hex 23 would be represented by 100000 (32)

Original version
bin_2_256.png

4 lower levels (in the middle) are mirrored
bin_mirror_lowlevel_full_256.png

These images are duplicated horizontally, with the right part being flipped to make a perfect mirror image.

bin_2_x2_256.png

bin_mirror_lowlevel_full_x2_256.png

You can either see a lot of 'W's, or 'I'-columns.

Like two hemispheres of brain, or two parallel worlds.

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).