...life can be translucent

Menu

where is the cd - Hex 6.5.6>40

G

goddessliss

Hi,

Last year when visiting my kids I borrowed some items including a CD from the local library on my son's card. I left them in a pile for them to return but the library insists the CD hasn't been returned so I'm wondering where it is -

Where is the missing CD

Hex 6.5.6>40

I could read this as yes there is a little conflict over it - library's word against my son's. but Line 6 and Hex 40 could suggest maybe to just let it go and pay for the CD in question.
Or it could mean look in the CD player for the third revolution and the CD will be released but so far it hasn't been found in the player especially as it was over 12 months ago.
Line 5 - not sure who the 3rd person could be.

Any other ideas please!! - thanks Liss

Last edited:
G

goddessliss

We looked and looked for the CD but didn't find it. So guess Line 6 was - don't bother! - Liss

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think anyone ever found anything using Yi did they ?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

Last year when visiting my kids I borrowed some items including a CD from the local library on my son's card. I left them in a pile for them to return but the library insists the CD hasn't been returned so I'm wondering where it is -

Where is the missing CD

Hex 6.5.6>20

I could read this as yes there is a little conflict over it - library's word against my son's. but Line 6 and Hex 40 could suggest maybe to just let it go and pay for the CD in question.
Or it could mean look in the CD player for the third revolution and the CD will be released but so far it hasn't been found in the player especially as it was over 12 months ago.
Line 5 - not sure who the 3rd person could be.

Any other ideas please!! - thanks Liss

First you put it was 6.5.6>20 but it is 6.5.6>40

I reckon it may be slotted inside another cd case or a book but that is just guesswork.....

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Where is the missing CD?
6.5.6 > 40

The casting suggests to me that the CD has been withdrawn or put away but is still available for recovery. I think it is in a stack of objects, possibly between books or CDs on a shelf. When you were with your kids, did you carry anything else with you to be left there? I once received a call from a library that a book I had checked out was overdue. I knew that I had returned it. I went to the library, searched the stacks, found the book, and handed it in. Someone had taken the book from the return bin and had failed to mark it as returned.

Last edited:
G

goddessliss

Thanks trojan at least it was divisible by 40 :p

And pocossin - I've had that experience too - so I will look for it next time I'm at the library. It has to be somewhere doesn't it :eek: - Liss

Last edited:

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
A possibility might be that in order to "liberate" yourself (hex 40) from this situation, it wouldn't be a bad thing to stand up for yourself ("argue") with the library. Line 5 in Wilhelm-Baynes says:

To contend before him
Brings supreme good fortune.
"Him," here, would refer to the library.

Line 6 might be from the library's point of view, meaning that they won't be very "competitive" about one isolated lost item. Goodwill with their patrons is important, too. That would fit with the text:

Even if by chance a leather belt is bestowed on one...
[bestowed through conflict, since this is a hex 6 line]

...By the end of a morning
It will have been snatched away three times.
From a big-picture point of view, if they fight with otherwise good patrons until they get the "leather belts" (lost item fees), they will lose more in goodwill and taxpayer support than they're gaining in fees. (Patrons who are constantly losing things are probably a different matter, lol.)

If you say something like, "I'm sure it was returned; it was with a whole stack of other items and you have all those," they might just remove it from your son's account (hex 40).

G

goddessliss

Hi Lisa, thanks and I agree with you but it's my son's account and he prefers not to argue the point with them. If I were to suggest such a thing he would argue with me instead and from past experience he's not a fair fighter and gets nasty so I say nothing about a lot of things and in the bigger picture of life the library issue is not that important.
I will still look on the shelves though when next I'm there. - Liss

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The I Ching is a slippery darn thing :cloud:.

So it seems like the hex 6 conflict is probably the potential one between you and your son, and hex 40 means you should liberate your own self from your son's library kerfuffle?

Interesting that we have both mentioned the "big picture" in this, and when you first posted you recorded the reading as 6.5.6 > 20. Ha ha!

G

goddessliss

Haha yes that is a bit funny!

I hadn't thought about the reading being between me and my son and I've liberated myself from it by letting him do what he thinks is right for him and also he's taken responsibility for paying for it as it was really his fault it never got returned - well unless I do find it.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing is that I don't know how to fit 6.5 into that...6.5 endorses arguing and says it will lead to good fortune, but the situation with your son seems to clearly call for NOT arguing - the complete opposite.

6.6 still fits, though - trying to convince your son to do something he doesn't want to do would cause more trouble between you than it's worth.

On the other hand! Your question wasn't how best to handle the situation; it was "Where is the CD?" Maybe we should revisit the actual question? I pretty much instantly assumed that the reading wasn't a direct answer, because I didn't see how to get a location (or even some sort of existential state) out of it. 40 unchanging as an answer to "Where?" might have meant that the CD is "liberated," completely lost never to be seen again, but that wasn't the reading.

The casting suggests to me that the CD has been withdrawn or put away but is still available for recovery. I think it is in a stack of objects, possibly between books or CDs on a shelf.
I can see how hex 40 would fit (a sense of relief at finding it), but Pocossin, would you mind explaining how you got the rest of it? It does makes perfectly logical library-sense (things being shelved in the wrong place, falling behind or underneath shelves, etc.) - actually it makes perfect house-sense and perfect car-sense as well (I once found a library book under the seat of my car, months after I swore I'd returned it :blush:).

Anyway, it seems as though your actual situation is a moot point - it's not that big of a deal, you're all reasonably satisfied with paying and being done with it - it just leaves the reading hanging there, not understood :weep:.

G

goddessliss

Well I'm not actually satisfied with it being paid for and done with but I've had to release that because it's my son's account and not mine. If it was mine I would be jumping up and down about it as with pocossin I've located a said item on the shelf that I'd returned but it wasn't computed. - Liss

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
but Pocossin, would you mind explaining how you got the rest of it?

I read hexagram 5 as guard duty on the border, 6 as falling back from an invading force, 7 as the army sent to expel the invaders, and 8 as the distribution of land to those who fought to regain it. Withdrawal to a defensive position (6) suggests that the CD has been put away. The lower trigram suggests penetration or insertion. The upper trigram visually appears as a stack of objects, so I interpreted the hexagram as the CD is in a stack of objects. Since the CD was withdrawn from the library, could it be among objects in the home? That is why I asked: "When you were with your kids, did you carry anything else with you to be left there?" And is the release of 40 the unacknowledged return of the CD to the library or its release from a stack of objects elsewhere? I took line 5 as things would eventually turn out well for Liss, and line 6 as the emotional turmoil over this problem.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I read hexagram 5 as guard duty on the border, 6 as falling back from an invading force, 7 as the army sent to expel the invaders, and 8 as the distribution of land to those who fought to regain it. Withdrawal to a defensive position (6) suggests that the CD has been put away. The lower trigram suggests penetration or insertion. The upper trigram visually appears as a stack of objects, so I interpreted the hexagram as the CD is in a stack of objects. Since the CD was withdrawn from the library, could it be among objects in the home? That is why I asked: "When you were with your kids, did you carry anything else with you to be left there?" And is the release of 40 the unacknowledged return of the CD to the library or its release from a stack of objects elsewhere? I took line 5 as things would eventually turn out well for Liss, and line 6 as the emotional turmoil over this problem.

Ah. I should start paying attention to trigrams! Now that you mention it, I think I remember someone else here saying that with lost item questions, the visual appearance of the reading is sometimes helpful (as in the upper trigram being a stack). Thanks for the explanation.

And I suppose it is turning out okay for Liss, since she's not the one paying the fee. Maybe the CD will turn up somewhere! After a year. That would be quite something. Let us know, Liss, okay? :)

G

goddessliss

Thanks for clarification pocossin - the kids are out today so I may do a bit of looking around the home first and if not here I'll head to the library and of course Lisa I will let you know - I love hearing the ending of others' story and I think we should send a major email out to everybody to finish their stories for us!!! :freak:

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I think we should send a major email out to everybody to finish their stories for us!!! :freak:

I like that idea! :rofl:

Since Pocossin mentioned one kind of imagery as an answer to your actual question...are there any actual belts or straps that could apply here? Was there a big enough pile of items to be returned that your son would have strapped them together? Or put them inside something that straps shut? (Am wildly speculating.)

Not from the reading, but is the entire thing missing, CD case and all, or is the library saying they have an empty case?

G

goddessliss

I just looked through the house but cannot find it - that's a good question Lisa - I can't seem to get a straight answer from the library.

S

sooo

And lead me not into temptation,
but deliver me from arguing.
For the library is the kingdom and the power,
for ever and ever.

amen

;)

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Haha!

I don't always mind too much paying library fines because I know at least it's going to a place I like. Still get irritated with myself, though.

Sooo, if you think the reading does mean "deliver me from arguing," what do you think the point of 6.5 is in it? That's a sticky wicket for me...unless...is it valid to ignore the lines altogether and get the reading just from the hexagrams?

G

goddessliss

And lead me not into temptation,
but deliver me from arguing.
For the library is the kingdom and the power,
for ever and ever.

amen

;)

So a lot of the people behind the counter believe themselves to be!! I use the library at least 2-3 times a week so I'm not immune to paying for something that gets damaged or misplaced but it's thy principal of it - It's the truth-seeking Sag in me. :D

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).