...life can be translucent

Menu

Cats and tigers -> 10.5 to 38

dancingfox

visitor
Reaction score
Just wondering how to interpret this

We live in an apartment on the first floor with a little terrace which is connected to our neighbors terrace. The apartment next to us has been empty for over 6 months, in the mean time our cat has made a habit of exploring the terrace of our neighbors. Our cat came from an animal shelter, he's male and about 4 years old. He has never tried to explore and is quite content with our little terrace when the weather is nice. My guess is he has been through a lot before we took him in (he was recuperating from starvation, had ear mite infection in both ears, had a cold and his fur was yellow instead of white, on top of that he smelled faintly like gasoline).

Anyways, Our new neighbors also have a cat. They just moved in so they keep their cat inside. Our cat, Mushi, is curious about this new neighbor-cat so he likes to go stand in front of out neighbors window to check out what this interesting new cat is all about.
Thing is, while Mushi seems to be happy and curious with the new cat on the block, the new cat is not at all charmed, probably stressed out too with the new environment and all that, so he hisses and whatnot.

I haven't spoken about it to our new neighbors yet but it is quickly becoming a problem. So I was wondering what would be the correct approach toward this new situation?

I got Hex 10.5 to 38 which describes the situation to perfection i think, but I don't see a solution right away?

Suggestions anyone? :bows:

Apech7

visitor
Reaction score
I'm not sure about this but it reads as if you may be stepping into cat territory (if you see what I mean) and that left alone they will sort out their own boundaries. Doing anything would not work.

Interested to see what others think.

dancingfox

visitor
Reaction score
Thx Apech

My intuition is telling me the same thing. I just hope my new neighbors feel the same way. I wonder if the reading applies to the cats or the neighbors...?

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
What would be the correct approach toward this new situation?
10.5 > 38

I recommend you offer your neighbors compensation for the nuisance you cat is causing. Cook something for them, and tell them what you posted here. Mushi may be doing other things on their patio besides terrorizing their cat through the window. If there is a cat leash law where you live or if they complain to the landlord, this acknowledgement could save you much trouble.

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I can't see this as your problem...it's for the cat's to sort out...no human intervention required. I mean it would be daft to imagine a human can or should intervene between cats !

The scared cat will gradually explore (10.5) and find his place with your cat. They just need to let their cat out.

I mean it would be good to have a friendly chat with them but what the cats do is beyond either of you.

precision grace

visitor
Reaction score
I think 10.5 > 38 speaks of the need to behave in Exactly Correct way taking into consideration the opposition of differing points of view. I am not sure what was the exact nature of 'becoming a problem' you were thinking of when you cast this, but to me, it points to being very strict with your cat (in a non physical way) and making sure that it does not go over to the neighbour's terrace. This is of course very difficult to achieve but not impossible: try to appeal to his sense of propriety and good manners, that works with most cats in my experience.

Good luck, I hope they make friends eventually.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Cats can be quite noisy and scary when they're hissing and unhappy. The other cat probably sees your cat as an intruder. Since cats are so very territorial, I would go along with what precision grace said about making sure that your cat does not go over onto the neighbor's terrace. From experience I know how long it can take two cats to finally agree to get along, when they don't hit it off immediately as friends.

dancingfox

visitor
Reaction score
Perhaps I should clarify a little. I tried to keep it short in my first posts so...

I don't see a problem with the cats. I grew up with cats, lots of cats. I like cats and they tend to like me. Cats will sort out their boundaries and relationship for themselves, we humans have nothing to do with that as far as I'm concerned.

I just hope the neighbors don't want to make a fuss about it; I guess. We moved in here about a year ago and the people here are incredibly aloof. So now that we have new neighbors I guess I'd like the contact to be as pleasant as possible.

Yesterday morning around 7 am I opened the window to our terrace, as is my morning habit. Our cat likes to get out for a while so with the new cat on the block he gets curious... So of he went to the neighbors terrace. The neighbors cat started to hiss with her hairs on end behind her window, it got so loud that even I could here it from our living room. I had to bait Mushi with catfood to get him away from the the neighbors window. Our neighbors where still asleep before all this happened, I saw a messy morning-head poking through the curtains while she picked up her cat with a chagrined look on her face.

So this could be something we might need to talk about? But my intuition is telling me to lay back for a while and maybe keep our cat inside for a few weeks, at least not let him out this early in the morning.

Oh, maybe I am overreacting to this situation, I am a highly sensitive person so I do tend to blow up these kind of situations ><

dancingfox

visitor
Reaction score
Precision Grace, I like what you said about appealing to his sense of propriety and good manners. I will definitely have a talk with Mushi about that ^^.

dancingfox

visitor
Reaction score
mushi.jpg
Couldn' resist!
I appealed to his sense of propriety and good manners... He will take it into consideration.

fallada

visitor
Reaction score
Make clear to your neighbours you can distinguish between high and low, cat and man: the hissing and staking the claims is cats business and being good neighbours is men's sphere. Many pet owners (umconsciously) abuse their animals as stand-ins to express their own -usually negative- feelings. Make sure there will be no misunderstandings due to the mingling of the spheres!

Also read the fan yao 38.5.: The the big ancestor catspirit will help them to eventually overcome the initial alienation. The same holds true for the people involved when they treat each other tactfully.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 1077
Couldn' resist!
I appealed to his sense of propriety and good manners... He will take it into consideration.

Yes, what a terribly handsome chap. Looks frightfully good mannered to me. of course we don't know what the neighbours cat is doing to annoy him . For example the neighbours cat might be doing this :freak: but no one sees it except your cat.

I know there have been answers before where 10,5 refers to an actual cat. In the past 10.5 has meant for me and others something like "don't get yourself into a position you can't get out you daredevil". Risky behaviour might be worth it sometimes. It must refer to your cat.

But the issue isn't the cats it's these aloof people. If they were nice friendly people the problem wouldn't exist because you could probabaly have rather a humourous chat about it.

Anyway if you don't wish to speak to them yet then seems a good idea to keep him in if they are sleeping etc so as not to disturb them. But then if they closed their curtains your cat wouldn't see their cat.

Anyway, look at him. A picture of refinement. No I don't think he is to blame. And look he has Clarity forum in the background. He may even have posted a query himself along the lines of

^my neighbour is rude to me constantly. what should I do ?"

Anyway surely a friendly chat where you say you don't want your cat to disturb them etc etc seems a good idea to me.

dancingfox

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks everybody,

I decided to have a friendly chat with the new neighbors, I hope I catch them today, will keep you posted.

Yes Trojan, he is indeed frightfully good mannered, always their to remind me of the better things in life. When he decides it is time for me stop staring at my computer screen and start paying attention to Mushi, he usually starts with positioning himself between me and my screen, and when that doesn't help he just sits on the keyboard. Very irresistible ;)

Also Fallada, your comment really helped me get to the gist of it. Actually it's plain common sense too, but sometimes someone else's advice is needed to see the situation clearly.

dancingfox

visitor
Reaction score
An Update would be good, please.
Hey Becalm

If I remember correctly everything just settled of t's own accord between the cats. Our neighbors though were not that benign and wrote a complaint letter to our landlord, our contract did not allow pets. We ended up moving into a beautiful little house across the street with a deep city garden. Cats were allowed ;)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).