...life can be translucent

Menu

Hex 6 and ego

artio

visitor
Reaction score
Howdy folks. I hope all is well. What I'm about to post here I believe that I already understand the answer to well, I just have the need to see what others may think.

The question I asked is: What can I do to truly be able to reconcile my ego with anything and everything that actually is best for me and my well being/my greater good? The answer I received is Hexagram 6 unchanging.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the very essence of Hex 6 is about irreconcilable differences. In other words, Hex 6 is about two sides that are so completely different that they will never really be able to get along, never see eye to eye.

This answer feels a bit sobering, but I guess I should have known better. I was essentially asking a question about how to reconcile ego with higher self, and maybe I should feel a bit silly for even thinking that was possible. The ego is something that essentially just wants self-destructive things, so definitely the opposite of anything related to higher self/the greater good. The reason I asked the question is because lately I have been trying to deal with healing my old emotional wounds, and I had a thought that maybe one way of addressing this type of goal is in seeing if there is a way to bridge ego with higher self. I think I can now believe that I shouldn't be too optimistic in making a bridge between the two.

I just want to throw it out there that I don't think that unchanging hexagrams are always about a static situation, but in this particular case I think things may just be static.

iams girl

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
What can I do to truly be able to reconcile my ego with anything and everything that actually is best for me and my well being/my greater good? The answer I received is Hexagram 6 unchanging.
'
Hi Artio,

Imo, in 6uc the objects of the ego's desire can be pretty powerful to the point of one risking losing everything. In that light, an ego recognizing that "less" is "more" can be the beginning of a bridge to well-being that doesn't have to be an entirely static situation.

angelatlantis14

visitor
Reaction score
Hi artio,

I was very interested in your statement " The ego is something that essentially just wants self-destructive things, so definitely the opposite of anything related to higher self/the greater good. "
So do you essentially see yourself as torn in 2 halves, one good (higher self) and one bad (which presumably drinks, smokes and pursues unsuitable partners?? :))
I think if you see yourself as polarized like this, then the answer Hex 6 makes sense - these two perceived parts of you cannot indeed be reconciled, since they are essentially opposite.
My thinking is that there is no such thing as a "good" and "bad" self, that everything that is in you, belongs in some way. If you wish for alcohol (purely an example for selfdestructive behaviour, I have not idea what is the "bad" in you) then an unhappiness or unmet desire is behind it. Not your "bad" ego.
I believe that you might try for a more self-kind and understanding approach towards yourself and your perceived "bad" characteristics - then a reconciliation of different aspects might happen by itself.
You might also try for a slightly different worded question, like "how can improve and develop to reach my true authenticv self" or something else that resonates with you.
As it is, i think the I Ching gave xou a perfectly correct answer to a question -about impossibilty - that is, its indeed impossible!

hope this helps

maui

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Here are more thoughts on 6uc

http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/frie...xperience-With-Unchanging-Castings-Hexagram-6

I don't understand why people worry about their egos so much. A healthy ego is necessary to a productive life. Wishing to get rid of the ego is so often a big ego trip. It can get to "hey look how small and humble my ego is compared to yours".

I think far more problems in life come from low self esteem than they do from an inflated ego. Because of low self esteem people don't become all the things they could be. I don't mind people with healthy egos but I don't have much time for those who are always wanting to get rid of their ego...it's a waste of time, a waste of your life.

To be a healthy functioning human you need an ego. If you do not accept that and keep trying to banish it so you can be pure untainted spirit then that's why you would get hexagram 6. You are arguing with the reality of being a human here on earth. One cannot live here on earth as a human without an ego so your question is like an argument with reality isn't it ?

artio

visitor
Reaction score
I don't mind people with healthy egos ...

But a healthy ego is not the same thing as an inflated ego. In fact, quite far from it. I believe that low self esteem and an unhealthy ego go hand-in-hand. And the fact still remains that it's a lot easier for bad/negative tendencies to set up house in someone's ego than in his/her higher self, especially if one's ego is not at its healthiest levels.

And I really don't understand why there are folks who are somehow interpreting my question as that I am wishing to destroy my ego. I have not said "I wish to destroy my ego." I have said that I wish to reconcile it with my higher self, or create a good, stable bridge between the two, one that could hopefully be healing for other emotional/psychological problems. How is that anything like destroying an ego? As I recall, there are people who refer to the ego as being the "little self" or "lower self", and I think there's a reason for that label/distinction and that of calling the more spiritually elevated part of a person his/her higher self.

But I do appreciate the responses that y'all are giving, even if I do not totally agree or understand all of them, or if I may be misinterpreting some of what is being said.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I think my reaction is not just to you but all previous anti ego Yi literature,,,

But it is a great answer. You asked

The question I asked is: What can I do to truly be able to reconcile my ego with anything and everything that actually is best for me and my well being/my greater good? The answer I received is Hexagram 6 unchanging.

You ask about reconciling and you get 6uc . Reconciling is not the way through, possibly because as others here have said it's not really a question of reconciling....is it ? And if the ego and higher self become one is it really something you can 'do' anyway ? I thought the ego remains along with higher consciousness...higher consciousness illuminates it, so it's not a question of reconciliation.

I mean I hypothesise, I wouldn't know as I'm not enlightened yet.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
Hex 6 judgement : Stop fighting. (Easier said than done)

Reconcile: restore friendly relations between.

What you called the ego "...something that essentially just wants self destructive things.."
might more correctly be called your damage or wounds (which manifest as unmindful neurotic impulses)
I think it is important to make a distinction between yourself and your wounds.
When someone identifies with their pain, they lose their real self (which has the ability to have compassion for themself and to rise above the pain)

Consider a person who is angry most of the time, if they make the mistake of thinking that
THEY ARE the anger, they are likely to commit violent acts.

(Hobbit movie spoiler: like the dragon Smaug as he flew to destroy a city saying "I AM Death")

Hex 6 image: The noble one considers the beginning.
(The beginning of the unhealthy act in the moment, and the origin (cause from the past) of the impluse)
So many emotional/psychological wounds are an unresolved natural (and appropriate at the time of origin)
Fighting response for survival.

I highly recommend the book 'Waking the Tiger: healing trauma' by Peter Levine.

Things can change, even if they have been a certain way for a long time.

S

sooo

The ego, by definition is synonymous with the self as an individual person; the conscious subject.

6 may or may not involve the ego. It can represent opposing ideals of high moral or ethical principles, as well as representing a completely mundane decision, i.e. do I want vanilla or chocolate ice cream? If 6 does involve the ego, it probably isn't just the subject of self which is involved but the domination of an egotistical or self-centered concern vs a balance of self with the whole. In any case I've never thought of it as being irreconcilable, and Yi's council in h6 is directed at preventing a one-sided view which is capable of crystallizing and immobilizing compromise or a fair and rational decision.

Last edited:
S

sooo

(Hobbit movie spoiler: like the dragon Smaug as he flew to destroy a city saying "I AM Death")

More good vs evil thinking.

Similar words were spoken by Krishna in the Gita: 'Now I am become death.' These were not words of anger or ego but of divinity and necessity.

Hindu ideology recognizes Vishnu as the all-pervading essence of all beings, the master of - and beyond - the past, present and future, the creator and destroyer of all existences, one who supports, preserves, sustains and governs the universe and originates and develops all elements within.

Even in the truest sense, life is sustained through death. The coyote doesn't kill and eat the rabbit out of anger, yet it can be rightly said that their existences are in conflict, and also in ultimate natural order.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
"More good vs evil thinking."
When Smaug spoke them they were words of rage and bloodthirst.
Bad, mal, evil, the terms are interchangeable in my mind.

I have known several people in my life who could be categorized as quite evil (or for the sake of discussion lets say sufficiently deranged to carry out bad/evil/harmful acts repeatedly)

Let me say it this way, i have had direct experience and long term contemplation of these people,
And the witnessed the profound negative effects they had on other peoples lives and health.

Facing this knowledge, i for one will never doubt the existence of what i have had experience of.
You of course, can believe whatever you wish.

S

sooo

"More good vs evil thinking."
When Smaug spoke them they were words of rage and bloodthirst.
Bad, mal, evil, the terms are interchangeable in my mind.

I have known several people in my life who could be categorized as quite evil (or for the sake of discussion lets say sufficiently deranged to carry out bad/evil/harmful acts repeatedly)

Let me say it this way, i have had direct experience and long term contemplation of these people,
And the witnessed the profound negative effects they had on other peoples lives and health.

Facing this knowledge, i for one will never doubt the existence of what i have had experience of.
You of course, can believe whatever you wish.

I too have known a few damaged souls, and more than one who may have been born this way. But what has this to do with the general meaning of hex 6?

S

sooo

I did not get sidetracked, Moss. The story (mythical or historical) battle written of in the Bhagavad Gita represents an archetypal conflict, not of good vs evil but of temporal vs eternal, experienced within the mind and heart of Krishna's dear friend, the great warrior and archer, Arjuna. Krishna is represented as the great arbitrator, symbolized in line 5 of hexagram 6.

Here is a fair representation of that conflict.

MENTAL CONFLICT OF ARJUNA
Gita series - Part 2. Chapter 1. Verses 28-31 A true disciple should always be transparent with his master. Only then the master-disciple relationship will be strengthened. Unless the master is sure that this disciple is not hiding anything from him, he will not take the disciple into his confidence. Arjuna is a true devotee of Krishna, apart from being good friends. Arjuna shares his pitiable condition with Krishna on seeing his close relatives and great masters on the other side of the battle field. ‘Oh! Krishna!’ begins Arjuna. Oh Krishna these two words alone conveyed everything to Krishna. When we call our father we use different voice modulations. It depends upon the state of mind you have at that time. Happiness, sorrow, fear etc make our voice change. Here, Arjuna’s voice genuinely expressed his sorrow mood. ‘On seeing these relatives, my limbs are failing, mouth drying, my body is shuddering, my hair become erect (goose berry pimples), Gandiva (the powerful and sacred bow of Arjuna) is slipping from my hands, my skin is irritating, my mind starts rambling, I am not able to stand steady, I see bad omens. Oh! Keshava’ Arjuna addresses Krishna by his another name Keshava. Since Krishna killed a demon called Keshi, He is also known as Keshava. The important point is that Arjuna is losing his mental and physical balance on seeing his relatives. Arjuna is not scared of the enemies as he was the best known warrior of his times. More than his physical and mental condition, he had the God as his charioteer. As a true disciple of Krishna, he has already surrendered to Him. Secondly, both Krishna and Arjuna value their friendship. More than anything Arjuna has a tremendous self-confidence. He started losing his self confidence on the mere thought of destroying his close relatives. He opened his mind to Krishna only when he lost his self-confidence. In spiritual pursuit self-confidence is important and the lack of which will affect the level of consciousness. When he lost his self-confidence, its effect was felt by his body and mind. Arjuna having lost his self-confidence tries to reason out for his momentary bleakness. He speaks to Krishna again “Oh! Krishna! I do not see any reason in slaying our own relatives. I do not long for victory in this battle, nor the kingdom, nor the pleasures (associated with kingdom). Govinda! What is the use of having kingdoms or pleasures (arising out of owning such kingdoms) or even the very existence of this life?” Arjuna addresses Krishna as Govinda. Govinda means the chief of herdsmen. During His younger days, Krishna tended cattle, hence this name. Arjuna’s mental condition filled with emotion takes him to the brim of ‘sanyas’. Renunciation dawns when one is in a negative state of the mind. That is why great importance is attached to mind and thought. These two are interdependent on each other. They cannot function independently. When such renunciations are achieved during normal mental conditions through proper meditation, it is an indication of spiritual progress. The mind and thought duo is so terrible, that they can rear their ugly heads at anytime, irrespective of the level of spiritual progress achieved. Therefore renunciation of evil thoughts and actions are more important than renouncing physical comforts. One can have comforts, but should not get attached to it. You can travel in a luxury car and at the same time you should be able to travel in a public transport. In fact the true renunciation should be reflected in your thoughts and not in actions. This statement of Arjuna can be analyzed from two different angles. When he speaks about slaying of his relatives, it reflects his attachment to the material world. When he says that he is not after the pleasures of a kingdom, it shows his detachment from the material world. Therefore, it is a clear indicator of the confused mental condition of Arjuna.

472px-Krishna_Arjuna_Gita.jpg

poised

visitor
Reaction score
Non-ego ego trip

Wishing to get rid of the ego is so often a big ego trip. It can get to "hey look how small and humble my ego is compared to yours".

Absolutely. I've met some very annoying people who played the "I'm-more-humble-than-you-are" card, especially back in California when we were "losing our minds to come to our senses." So smug.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).