...life can be translucent

Menu

Second attempt to buy a house, 55.6 > 30 very weird changing line...

raindogmx

visitor
Reaction score
Hi there!

A couple of years ago I posted a reading about buying a house which for which the deal was almost closed but with your help I discovered my wife and son hated it but didn't tell me because they didn't want to upset me, so I called the deal off.

Now I am about to close the deal on a house and this time I am sure my wife loves it. Everything seems right, it is a risk, but it may be the right time to take it as I have some money saved and business is OK. I got Hexagram 55 ABUNDANCE which looks splendid: I interpret it as a call to take advantage of the good times wisely, knowing that things change.

But then I got this changing 6th line. I can't make it fit in any bright outlook:

In his large and splendid house, no friends or family dwell.
He sees no one pass through his gate for three years.
Misfortune.

What is wrong with my I-Ching? It seems oddly specific speaking about a house. Wilhelm's not much better:

This describes a man who because of his arrogance and obstinacy attains the opposite of what he strives for. He seeks abundance and splendour for his dwelling. He wishes at all odds to be master in his house, which so alienates his family that in the end he finds himself completely isolated.

Anyway, then the transformation into Hex 30 IGNITING looks good and makes everything right again. It's bright fire/fire and talks about clinging, the relationship between fire and wood, I guess effort and success, work and money, looks OK. It is not ominous. I find it grounding:

THE CLINGING. Perseverance furthers.
It brings success.
Care of the cow brings good fortune.

This time I am taking a higher financial risk than before because the house is more expensive, but I am in a better situation. In general I take the reading of 55 as "Go ahead. Be mindful that times change, but don't let that stop you" an 30 as "Care of the cow brings good fortune.", perseverance and work is all I need.

I still have problems with that changing sixth line. Is it a forecast? Is it a warning? Is it a what-if? It seems so odd in here. How should these super specific things be taken?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

raindogmx

visitor
Reaction score
Another idea I had is that that 6th line means there are going to be or rather may be 3 very terrible or lonely years. Hex 55 says abundance doesn't last forever but to not let that discourage you, changing line says there are 3 bad years coming, Hex 30 says to persevere...

I am looking at a 15 to 20 years lease here, so 3 bad years out of 15 or 20 is not that bad, I guess I can live with that... What do you think?

Maybe line 6th is the Book of Changes is being extra kind and candid and tells me what to expect, or at least to prepare for it so if it happens it won't be as bad and if it doesn't happen all the better.

So far my interpretation is:

1. There is abundance, a wise man knows it may not last, but a wise man also knows not to be paralized by that knowledge. Go ahead
  2. The worst that can happen is you get 3 very terrible years.
  3. But that's OK because you can keep the fire burning with perseverance. Cling to it.

G

goddessliss

Personally I would read the 6th line as - although you may be in a good situation financially now to buy the house, that's going to change, and your quest to have bought this very expensive home will come crashing down on you. - Liss

raindogmx

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks goddessliss!

It certainly looks that way... can that simple line overturn everything... Is "caring for the cow" clinging to what you've got? What does to persevere mean in that context? To persevere in my current place until a better time comes? But then Hex 50 says it may change, so maybe is now or never?

Sorry! So many questions.

G

goddessliss

So many questions because it's a major decision I'd reckon. Well I guess it could also mean that if you buy this house and it's way beyond the means of anybody (friends, family, etc.) you normally associate with - you may lose them.
My son is a young adult and works in a very well paid job that allowed him to buy a sports car. The bullying and offhand comments he got off others, particularly those much older than him who've never had the opportunity to make such money as the younger generation can now, or his peers who are just in 'ordinary' paid jobs well it made him actually decide to sell the car because he realised it was ostracising him from others. Certainly that was not the only reason he decided to sell it but it did make him think. - Liss

raindogmx

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you and thanks for sharing your personal experience. I definitely see what you mean. The new house is not too much of a step up from where we are living now, it is in some regards but not in others. It isn't even that expensive, but it is on the very top limit of my budget. Being a mortgage rather than a rental it is much more risky financially. I do not think resentment or jealousy could be a problem among friends and family, still your story makes me think if I am not trying too hard to own something I may not be ready to own. It is such a big decision. I'm starting to interpret line 6 as a warning that if things get rough there may not be people around me who can help me as everybody is struggling with their own problems. Your initial warning was stern and I appreciate all of your advice a lot.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).