...life can be translucent

Menu

Work conflict & discussion with the boss

nygirl

visitor
Reaction score
My boss had a conflict with me and put it in writing. While we discussed things, he came up with several issues he has with me. He is new to the position and due to recent growth at the company I'm sure he's feeling the pressure from all sides. Although I addressed all issues and he said we start fresh again on Monday I'm debating about revisiting the conversation. My job position is to be a liason with the other departments and also supervise two people within my own department. He seemed angry and/or resentful that people come to me and not him...yet that is the structure in place and not by my design. I am operations - get the job done - he has the bigger picture to deal with and manage as a whole.

So do I go in Monday and ask him if he wants to change that- and have all questions go to him rather than me? No one person can handle it all, but hey, I'll step back. Or do I leave the discussion as it was, where I explained and asked for his parameters since historically this IS my job? He didn't give an answer to me at the time, but went on to other topics.

My first reading: What if I talked to him about this specific issue?

I received 50, the Vessel :stir:changing lines 1, 2, to 30, Radiance. The vessel is me? And I need to see the problem on a deeper level to learn the lesson? And what is 30, Radiance, light? Being aware of ..issues discussed? his ego? his authority?

Second reading: What if I didn't continue the conversation, let things be, assume a fresh start?

I received 29, The Abyss changing line 4 to 47, Confining..so cheerful and so darn confusing!!
So if I don't ask what he wants, the issue will repeat and once again he'll be ticked off?

Really at a loss here and torn between asking him directly - though that may help him to feel I respect his authority - or assuming I made my case in the first conversation,and if he has an issue he'll let me know...but not trusting that he'll actually do that. He could have TALKED to me before putting it in writing, but I believe he's a bit inexperienced as a manager.

It's job security above all, like it is the world over...and I feel this is a critical time and question.
Any and all insight welcome :bows:

herolaubet

visitor
Reaction score
The Vessel relates to nurturing so I believe this means a conversations about the topic will be favorable and nurturing towards your work relationship with your boss as long as you mantain the current state of Radiance, which I believe in this context means "Taking care of the cow" or being docile and without harmful intent. I believe thats how you are relating to this situation.
Line 1 relates to the process of turning the Vessel upside down removing remaining food that could be inside so that it can be filled again. In your situation my belief is that you should do as you said and work towards a clean, fresh start with your boss by removing old issues from the relationship.
Line 2 indicates to me that even if someone(or anything antagonizing) has ill intent towards you and tries to sabotage your conversation they won't succeed, so you can carry it on with confidence.

The Abyss on the second question speaks very clearly to me that should you avoid the issue, it will come back some other time again. Therefore its best to address the issue right now. Like the water fills every depression before flowing ahead so should you attempt to resolve any flaws in this relationship before moving foward.
The relating Hex probably means that you are feeling inclined to letting it go because you feel like your words will have no effect or you just want to save the energy or something.
Line 4 speaks to the fact that by making the effort to discuss the issue in a simple and humble way you will be making a small sacrifice towards improving this relationship. As long as your intentions are pure and clear the outcome will be favorable. Also advises you to start by the evident and clear and then make your point from there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey Nygirl,

I work for an American multinational and report to two bosses so, while I have nothing to add to herolaubet's interpretation, I would say from own experience - go offer him to have all the questions flowing to him, he will realize eventually it's too much and give this chunk of work back to you willingly. He will also appreciate the part you play in Operational liaison and will figure out you're here to help not hinder :)))
Hope this helps,
Hooliganetta

S

sooo

Tell him to..

[video=youtube;0x-fkSYDtUY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0x-fkSYDtUY#t=0[/video]

Just kidding, though that would fit 29.

My bet is he's feeling insecure and needs to feel in control, and that 50.1 is what he needs to have dumped out, unless he's unable to delegate, which eventually places him in jeopardy as well as yourself. Approach the situation calmly and professionally, thank him for his critique (at least he let you know where you stand with him), then ask, would he like the function you had performed to no longer be your responsibility? You are prevented from functioning fully, but perhaps if you just brightly perform the rest of your position he'll see you as his asset rather than as his liability or threat, though I see no guarantee of that without starting this internal organization from scratch; emphasis here on organ as in organism.

Good luck. Hoping for your sake he's not a total schmuck.

nygirl

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you all for your insight and support!

Herolaubet, I felt your interpretation was very accurate and once explained helped me very much to see the reading more clearly. The vessel has indeed been emptied, now we start over. Your take on Line 2 helps me to feel better about restarting the conversation, with confidence as you said. And as much as we all like to let things go (right again, I felt I may not be heard and lacked the energy to go there again), this must be addressed Thank you for taking the time and the details you gave, it really resonated with me.:bows:

Hooliganettta, I had the same thought as you. Just give him what he's asked for in his roundabout way, and the additional work will be too much. Without clear direction, it would be what he deserves, but not very good at all for my Karma, and not helpful to my job and how I function daily. I think he realizes what I contribute and needs me, but let his emotions rule the day and our conversation.

And lastly Sooo - thank you for the much needed comic relief!:rofl: IF ONLY we could do that in real life from time to time, I know I for one would feel better. But you also made similar points to Hooliganetta, and that helped me to know that I'm seeing the situation accurately. Many times we must take the harder - but higher - road. Patience is a virtue I'm still working on!

I will speak with him later today (with confidence!) and let all of you know the rest of the story ;)

nygirl

visitor
Reaction score
Vessel all empty!

Hopefully the vessel is all cleaned out now, and no regrets that I revisted the conversation.

I approached him while reviewing other work - in other words no special time, just in the course of the day and it went well. He doesn't want all those questions, and as Sooo and I hoped, he's not a total schmuck! :p But his need for control is there and maybe with time that will lessen a bit. Either way I can play the game now that I better understand his rules.

His approach and comments on this whole situation gave me great insight into how he thinks when faced with pressure. I learned a lot, and knowledge is power. Going forward I can keep my radar tuned up and observe more...

Thanks again for the help with my reading everyone :bows:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).