...life can be translucent

Menu

Who is responsible for the garden theft?

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
I've lived in a small hamlet in a small village for 10 years. I am the only one in my hamlet that is not "from here" and has no family here. I felt I had good, albeit distant, relations with the community and am indeed friends with a handful.

I have about a dozen huge fruit trees on my land. At first, 10 years ago, only about 25% of the apple tree got picked clean (even with me here). The volume of theft has grown over the years and for the past two years every single tree has been picked clean, not one fruit left on the ground. It's worth noting that doing so is hard labor, not only because of the quantity of fruit, but because of the lay of the land: a steep slope and no vehicle access close by. This is not likely the work of a single person.

I have finally filed a formal complaint with the local police, who tell me that I am the **only** one with such a problem in the entire area and adjoining districts - and that covers a huge territory.

It's starting to feel very personal: were it a heisting/resale business, others would be affected. Clearly, I'm targeted. Already, the financial loss (and cost of replacement) is huge. It has affected my feeling safe and at home in my refuge. It has stolen the joy I have of taking care of my garden and canning for the winter (understatement - or else I'd not have bought this land!). Now I'm starting to feel unsafe - there is a fine line between harm to possessions and harm to a person, and I wonder whether this increasing "process" over the years is going to continue on its upswing.

Unrelatedly, I heard a rumor that my ex husband now lives in a town nearby. This is neither proven nor logical (he supposedly still lives 2.5 hours away). We know how rumors go in a small village.

But I did include my ex in my mind when I asked the Yi "who is responsible for the garden theft".

Yi answered 55.1.2.4 to 2. The abundance part of 55 sure dovetails with the abundance of fruits in question.

The partner and lord, hidden lord and broken arm bit I don't get and are making me flip a bit. It changes to 2, the receptive - is that suggesting I remain passive and do nothing more about the situation?

This place is my sanctuary, and I really don't like the feeling that churns my stomach these days.

Any clues as to how to identify the culprit in the Yi's answer??

Thanks for your help, detectives :):mad:

bostonian

visitor
Reaction score
I think both 55 and 2 are responding to your feelings of vulnerability as opposed to the actual theft. It doesn't sound like you're dependent on the sale of apples for your living, is that right? 55 seems to be saying, OK you've had years of abundant fruit, now you may have a lean year. And 2 of course is suggesting that you be more passive in accepting that this might not be your year in terms of abundant fruit.

As to who's stealing your fruit: I wouldn't assume it's personal in the sense that someone who doesn't like you is doing it for spite. How tall are the trees? It's hard to believe someone would bring a ladder on your property and take a chance of getting caught just for spite. The police say you're the only one, but that only means you're the only one who reported it. Or maybe your property is in a place where it is easier to steal fruit and not be seen from the road. Also it can be deer and/or raccoons. I think the I Ching is telling you not to assume the worse.

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments, Bostonian. I am in part dependent on what the garden grows to feed me. It's not just a "lean" year, it is 2 years of 100 percent loss. There is not a fruit on the ground or picked on by birds -- nothing. The trees are cleaned out. No confusion possible
I have gone all around, and yes, I am the only one who is hit - even if easier and more discreet places exist.
Hard not to feel very disquieted....

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Your casting is about boundaries and land. Your apples are being taken by a near neighbor who took apples from those trees in childhood, now an adult, and possibly his friends. They have a vehicle and are taking the apples to sell. Since the community is small, probably the persons involved are know to everyone except yourself. I think you may not know country rules. Anything that appears abandoned is free game. Even Jesus took figs that did not belong to him. Jewish law permits passersby to take what they can hold in their hands. Do you in any way cultivate these trees? Is there any kind of boundary? Have you posted a sign? How are they supposed to know that you want the apples? You tolerated a 25% theft, so why not a 100% theft? As a landowner you have a responsibility to defend your property. If apples were on the ground, why had you not picked them up? I know this sounds hard, but it's the way the world works. Whether in town or country, if property is not secured, to some minds it is free for the taking.

If there are a dozen large trees, there might be 50 or more bushels of apples. This is heavy work that requires hours. Perhaps you do not have the ability to harvest apples in such quantities. If you can identify the thieves, approach them and make a deal whereby you get a share of the apples. Else, rent these trees to a local farmer or country person. He will then be responsible for the defense of the apples, and you will get some profit. Personally, I control poaching -- something else you should consider -- by renting hunting rights to the farm to a neighbor. He is responsible for posting No Hunting signs and expelling trespassers. It is convenient that he is now a deputy sheriff :) It is ironic that in his youth he hunted illegally on the farm -- even shot himself in the foot while doing so -- but now pays for the privilege.

Last edited:

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
Spot on Pocossin, that's 3 for 3. The cops and I also suspect one specific neighbor and his pals. How did you get that from my reading??

However, without proof, we can't do anything, we need to catch them in the act. Since I filed a formal complaint the cops (and they are a small team with a large turf to cover, and with "incidents" graver than mine of course) have upped their rounds by me, but so far guess the timing has been off and/or there is nothing left to steal at this point.

My land is clearly deliminated and I am visible working on it daily. And yes, I did pick all my fruits (not just apples) myself (what work!), leaving the fruits on the tippy tops of a couple of trees for the birds :), picking up the fallen apples save for those already noshed on my Mother Nature's critters.

However, this is not the US. If I start putting up signs with the local equivalent of Private property, No trespassing,No hunting (we are in a no hunting / nature preserve zone) and so such, I'd be laughed out of town (or the country). Here, if someone breaks into your house and you shoot them with your (licensed, registered) hunting riffle, you are the one who goes to jail.

I need to have proof of the culprit to be able to do something. Even if just to go to them and off to share the fruits.

But it is somewhat reassuring that you pointed to the same people that are on our radar.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
How did you get that from my reading?

I think it is in the casting, but I got it from personal experience of the situation. I live in the country, grow much of my vegetables and fruit, and have trouble with trespassers, so to some degree I was able to put myself in your situation. Next year the police could install a surveillance camera just before apple harvest time. You might need to ask for this.

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
They are trying to get one before the kiwis are ready to be picked at first frost. All were stolen last year whereas none had been before (like 150 kg...). Right now, all the cameras are used on "big, serious" cases.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
They are trying to get one before the kiwis are ready to be picked at first frost. All were stolen last year whereas none had been before (like 150 kg...). Right now, all the cameras are used on "big, serious" cases.

Considering the monetary value of what you are losing, yours is a big, serious case, and these cameras are cheap. A nephew has one just to see what animals come out at night. Is there no way you could watch for the predators yourself? I would not expect them to be active at night when lights would be conspicuous.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).