...life can be translucent

Menu

What do you think of this translation for 25?

S

seeker

After asking several questions trying to clarify my position in my new relationship and figure out what is going on (we all know I have to analyze things to death
blush.gif
) I realized I should really only be asking one question, what to do now. So I asked what I should do regarding X. 25.4.5

I thought I had it, that it was telling me that I should continue on in the relationship, but that maybe line 5 was saying I did not cause his problems, so stop trying to fix them. Most of the translations I have talk of not using medicine in an ill that is not yours.

But then I found this translation on the sage sight listed in the Clarity resourses. Though the interpretations are a bit simplistic, I like the site because sometimes it helps me get to the heart of a line that I am fuzzy on. But for 25.4.5 it has the following:

25 signifies reckless action. The situation can be redeemed, but it would be better to do nothing than act recklessly.

Line 4 - through serious effort a situation is made right.

Line 5 - one who has fallen ill with a psychosomatic illness, the cure involves setting oneself back on the true path and diligently performing the work at hand.

This is just somewhat different from other translations I have. I guess since line 5 says setting oneself back, it could mean that the diligent work has to be done by him, not me. Anyway, just curious as to what you guys think. Always looking for a better understanding of the hexes.

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
25.4: the situation allows you to carry out what you think is right, and you're without fault.

25.5: you're keeping clear of folly, recklessness and such, but an affliction arises. Yet you don't have to do anything to remedy it, and it'll still have a happy outcome.

It's all moving in a direction that will sustain you.

pargenton

Reaction score
I did not find that site, could you please post the link?
Thanks
Paolo

bradford_h

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hi Seeker-
Thanks for the link
I would have to opine that this author doesn't understand the Yijing very well.
There are several mistaken angles on the 25 lines alone, including misunderstanding the hexagram name Wu Wang.

C

candid

I think Brad is being generous with his critique of the linked site.

gene

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Seeker

Since you are the one asking the question, it is likely that you are the one that is going to have to do the work. Not that the other person doesn't need to, but are they willing too? It is usually futile to tell someone they have to work on themselves.

While it is possible that hexagram 25 can have the connotation of wreckless action, it more normally carries the meaning of acting without contrivance. Line five carries this attitude on in telling us we can only correct the problem by doing just what comes naturally to us. There is an old Buddhist/Taoist attitude of "no mind." This is especially applicable in the martial arts, where you never plan a defense, you just allow yourself to create it in the moment. In other words, there is no point in "trying" to correct the situation. I have found it very common in woman to always be trying to "fix" a relationship. Many of the popular magazines are filled with articles about "how to get him to do this, etc." The problem is, trying to "fix it" usually doesn't work. It is best to know what fills your needs, and it is either there or it isn't. Now line four, (I don't have my book with me right now, but by memory)...The Wilhelm Baynes version says, "one cannot lose what is truly his/hers." One only needs to wait for the right time. This idea of waiting for the right time is very common in the I Ching. The image for hexagram 25 says to be in harmony with the time. If not is not in harmony with the time, it is best not to force the issue, but wait until one actually is in harmony with the time.

Gene

S

seeker

Thanks everyone, both for the helpful hints and the critique. I too have found what I thought were mistakes in this site, but there are some that were helpful in clarfiying other interpretations I had. Sometimes, even those interpretations that are not entirely accurate, give you a different perspective. I thought maybe I was seeing more mistakes than there were since it is listed on the links site here. Glad to know my instincts are improving. I did have an instant, thats not right, reaction to the interpretation of 25. Just was not sure since until recently I had not had much experience with 25. Anyway, thanks again for the help. I am one of those women who tries to fix things and I do tend to try to plan things out in a relationship. You know, if I do this maybe he will do this, or if I say this maybe he will react like that. So, the idea that I am being told just to go with it and react naturally with no forethought or contrivance definately makes sense. Putting it into practice, well... thats a horse of a different color, but I will certainly give it the old college try
happy.gif

lightofdarkness

(deceased)
Reaction score
If you want to understand the 'inside' of a hexagram, work through it XOR-ing it with all of the others. Here is a sample set of questions, XOR the hexagram with the line position controlling hexagram - the number in the () below.

these questions are 'off the top of my head' so may lack 'precision' but they cover the general aspects and I would suggest you print this out for use in seeing the 'insides' of the other hexagrams as in their STRUCTURE - changing lines are NOT about this - this is about internals.

I have given two examples for line positions 1 and 2:

As an example in line 1 the controlling hexagram is 24. XOR it with 25 gives us 12:

Line1 [01] (24) : How did this hexagram 'start'?
Through characteristics described by 12 - a focus on neutralising. 25 covers the standing up to 'say one's piece' without considering consequence, or fearless of consequence. IOW something needs to be said.

Line 2 [02] (07) : How does this hexagram establish uniformity?
Through characteristics described by 10 - reflects treading a path (and supervised, being watched) and do does not wander, remains 'uniform' etc etc

Lines 1&2 [03] (19) : How does this hexagram approach the 'high'; defer to the 'low'?

Through

Line 3 [04] (15) : How does this hexagram level things out, express 'modesty'?

Through

Lines 1&3 [05] (36) : How does this hexagram protect its 'light'?

Through

Lines 2&3 [06] (46) : How does this hexagram become more entangled with something/someone?

Through

Lines 1&2&3 [07] (11) : How does this hexagram balance/harmonise?

Through

Line 4 [08] (16) : How does this hexagram develop foresight/planning?

Through

Lines 1&4 [09] (51) : How does this hexagram introduce itself?

Through

Lines 2&4 [10] (40) : How does this hexagram relax structure?

Through

Lines 1&2&4 [11] (54) : How does this hexagram expend early energy?

Through

Lines 3&4 [12] (62) : How does this hexagram overact to establish unconditional loyalty?

Through

Lines 1&3&4 [13] (55) : How does this hexagram deal with abundance/overflowing?

Through

Lines 2&3&4 [14] (32) : How does this hexagram express commitment?

Through

Lines 1&2&3&4 [15] (34) : How does this hexagram actively invigorate others?

Through

Line 5 [16] (08) : How does this hexagram passively attract?

Through

Lines 1&5 [17] (03) : How does this hexagram 'sprout'?

Through

Lines 2&5 [18] (29) : How does this hexagram assert containment/control?

Through

Lines 1&2&5 [19] (60) : How does this hexagram standardise?

Through

Lines 3&5 [20] (39) : How does this hexagram obstruct?

Through

Lines 1&3&5 [21] (63) : How does this hexagram complete, 'get it right'?

Through

Lines 2&3&5 [22] (48) : Where does this hexagram get its nutrition, what sustains it, keeps it going?

Through

Lines 1&2&3&5 [23] (05) : How does this hexagram wait for opportunity to come?

Through

Lines 4&5 [24] (45) : How does this hexagram celebrate its 'faith'?

Through

Lines 1&4&5 [25] (17) : How does this hexagram find a faith? What is its faith?

Through

Lines 2&4&5 [26] (47) : How does this hexagram integrate with the context?

Through

Lines 1&2&4&5 [27] (58) : How does this hexagram express itself intensely?

Through

Lines 3&4&5 [28] (31) : How does this hexagram 'woo', restrained enticement ?

Through

Lines 1&3&4&5 [29] (49) : How does this hexagram reveal, unmask?

Through

Lines 2&3&4&5 [30] (28) : How does this hexagram reflect excess, go beyond what is required?

Through

Lines 1&2&3&4&5 [31] (43) : How does this hexagram 'seed', spread the word?

Through

Line 6 [32] (23) : How does this hexagram 'housekeep', clear chaff to bring out the wheat?

Through

Lines 1&6 [33] (27) : What is the basic, skelatal form of this hexagram, the clay used to structure it?

Through

Lines 2&6 [34] (04) : How does this hexagram learn social skills?

Through

Lines 1&2&6 [35] (41) : How does this hexagram achieve clarity, concentration, distillation?

Through

Lines 3&6 [36] (52) : How does this hexagram express discernment?

Through

Lines 1&3&6 [37] (22) : What does this hexagram look like, how does it present itself to the outside?

Through

Lines 2&3&6 [38] (18) : How does this hexagram correct corruption, express that correction?

Through

Lines 1&2&3&6 [39] (26) : How does this hexagram express 'holding firm' to traditions?

Through

Lines 4&6 [40] (35) : How does this hexagram bring something into the 'light'?

Through

Lines 1&4&6 [41] (21) : How does this hexagram resolve problems?

Through

Lines 2&4&6 [42] (64) : How does this hexagram remain 'open', mis-sequence?

Through

Lines 1&2&4&6 [43] (38) : How does this hexagram 'mirror', deal with opposition?

Through

Lines 3&4&6 [44] (56) : How does this hexagram demonstrate conditional loyalty; loyalty at a distance?

Through

Lines 1&3&4&6 [45] (30) : How does this hexagram reflect guidance/direction setting?

Through

Lines 2&3&4&6 [46] (50) : How does this hexagram express conversion of the raw to the cooked?

Through

Lines 1&2&3&4&6 [47] (14) : How does this hexagram manage from the centre?

Through

Lines 5&6 [48] (20) : How does this hexagram elicit admiration and so invigorate others passively?

Through

Lines 1&5&6 [49] (42) : How does this hexagram reflect augmentation?

Through

Lines 2&5&6 [50] (59) : How does this hexagram make things clear, dispell illusions?

Through

Lines 1&2&5&6 [51] (61) : How does this hexagram show empathy?

Through

Lines 3&5&6 [52] (53) : How does this hexagram express gradual development, maturity?

Through

Lines 1&3&5&6 [53] (37) : How does this hexagram reflect rigid structure as tension release?

Through

Lines 2&3&5&6 [54] (57) : How does this hexagram cultivate and become influencial?

Through

Lines 1&2&3&5&6 [55] (09) : How does this hexagram express making small gains to be noticed?

Through

Lines 4&5&6 [56] (12) : How does this hexagram neutralise attacks on its core beliefs?

Through

Lines 1&4&5&6 [57] (25) : How does this hexagram stand up to say its piece without considering consequences?

Through

Lines 2&4&5&6 [58] (06) : How does this hexagram compromise?

Through

Lines 1&2&4&5&6 [59] (10) : How does this hexagram traverse a path carefully?

Through

Lines 3&4&5&6 [60] (33) : How does this hexagram draw-in its enemies?

Through

Lines 1&3&4&5&6 [61] (13) : How does this hexagram associate with the likeminded?

Through

Lines 2&3&4&5&6 [62] (44) : How does this hexagram persuade/seduce?

Through

Lines 1&2&3&4&5&6 [63] (01) : How does this hexagram express singlemindedness, competitiveness?

Through

Have fun! ;-)

Chris.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).