...life can be translucent

Menu

60.1.2.4.5 > 16

precision grace

visitor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I could use some second (and third and fourth) opinions on this one.

I asked what I should do about a situation and got this 60 > 16 which I've immediately read as 'contain your enthusiasm'; but I am always suspicious of readings which involve multiple changing lines. In my experience, Yi finds a way to be succinct and to the point when that's relevant (for example, very recently all I was getting was unchanging hexagrams, or only one or two lines changing).

Anyway, in particular I always feel out of sorts when I get both 1 and 2 line changing in the hex 60 because they are so contradictory
a) keeping to yourself is a good thing
b) not mixing with others is a bad thing

From wikiwing about line 2

There is an urgent warning connected with this line: "He who hesitates is lost." Wu Wei says: "There are opportunities at hand that require immediate action, but you are not acting....Limiting your activities at this time will cause you to miss your chance and could have dangerous consequences."

Changing both line 1 and line 2, with their different messages about ‘going out’, means you’re ‘articulating the quest for union’ (60.1.2 > 8).

So the line 2 is the worry here. If it weren't for line two, I could just take that as keep to yourself, go on as before and the tension will be released and all will be well. However, the line 2 makes it all confused.

Does it mean I have to act? But when? And do what?

blank-picard_facepalm.jpg

precision grace

visitor
Reaction score
I am wondering if these dangerous consequences from line 2 somehow relate to the fact I fell of me bike yesterday and now have very bruised and bashed up knee.. Merry Christmas to me, hope Santa brought me a tiny violin. And Merry Christmas to the kind police officer who stopped to check that I hadn't been drinking and offered to call me an ambulance should I need it but wouldn't offer to take me home as 2 miles was very far to go apparently.

Ho ho ho

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
What I should do about a situation?
60.1.2.4.5 > 16

To me 60 > 16 suggests being supportive in an unresponsive situation. Sorry about your fall. Your Capricorn must have been poorly aspected. I use garlic juice on bruises. I used some last night on a small injury I got while assembling a tricycle.

Last edited:
C

cjgait

The answer is quite simple. Do what the ancient Chinese did when consulting the Yi and reduce the answer to one text. I use the 'Nanjing method' to do so but I imagine there are others.

Here is the text from the Forest of Changes on this combination (I am in the process of translating the book, and this verse is a raw translation and hasn't been checked yet.):

60 - 16

A rotted rope,
Will bear no weight,
Awaiting the time,
To be assigned to duties.

Please let me know if the text is appropriate or not, and if so how, so I can jigger with the verse. I like to keep to straightforward translation of the Chinese text to the degree possible, but nuance it as an oracular text as well. The goal is to eventually tune it so it functions as well as the Yi for divination.

S

sooo

When you place a limit on line 1 there will follow a limit of that limit in line 2. Time or timing is working, and what applies right now may not apply in a little while, and also not in the same way as line 1. Sometimes line 2 has referred to leaving (opening) the closed gate of my own mind; opening up, in other words. But to do this requires leaving behind 2-dimensional thinking (yes/no), and allowing for the opportune timing.

qafinaf

visitor
Reaction score
I get the picture of a general self-containment, not closed down or isolated but also not over jubilant or gushing.

Maybe, in a word, "available"?

precision grace

visitor
Reaction score
thank you pocossin and so sorry to hear about your mishap with the tricycle, hope it's not serious. I like the way you phrased it: being supportive in an unresponsive situation, it also resonates with soo's comment on importance of timing (thank you!) and aureolus's suggestion to just be available (thank you, that's kind of genius, specifically as I am not really good at just being available ha!)

Also thank you cjgait, I think the second part of your verse which speaks of waiting for the right time to be assigned duties (waiting to respond as it were) makes sense to me, but I don't actually understand the first line - what is a rotted rope (does it mean same as rotten, if so, it would make sense that it can't support weight but I can't think what it would refer to in my situation unless it's like a 28.3 except the pressure is coming from a different direction). Please could you explain further?

I'm really grateful for all your responses. I feel it's important to do things right, but sometimes I can't be sure what that is.

Also, pocossin, thank you for the suggestion about the garlic juice, however I'm afraid I have no garlic in the house, so no garlic juice, but I have been cleaning the wound with the tee tree oil in water and changing the dressing so hopefully it won't get infected.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).