...life can be translucent

Menu

Variants of a "triple hexagram"?

peter

visitor
Reaction score
Hello all!

Let's imagine that there is a method of hexagram casting that allows to receive one hexagram which unfolds into three - not traditional two hexagrams.

There are two possibilities: either we cast a line "1 -> 2 -> 3" ("ben" - "zhi" - what else?), or we cast a "two-way": "(1 -> 2) or (1 -> 3)".

In first possibility (which is particularly good for interpreting by "Plum Blossom" method) we have a more detailed picture of event developing. Just look at special cases:

1) when second and third hexagrams coincide, we have our "habitual" two hexagrams, but "not realized" third step gives us some additional information;

2) when first and second hexagrams coincide - then first is "statical", but not truly statical (which happens when all three hexagrams coincide), while then second changes into third. Does it mean a hesitation at the beginning? Or necessity of some extra resources to run the process?

3) when first and third hexagrams coincide - it may mean some "oscillations" or returning into the source point.

Then we may examine amount of moving lines involved into first and second changes.

And in another possibility we may see some chioces. It may be interpreted as things that will happen if we perform or do _not_ perform some actions, sometimes to see "greater" and "lesser evil". There are also special cases here:

1) when first hexagram coincides with second or third - it may mean that things won't really change if you choose to go that way;

2) when second and third hexagrams coincide - well, this may mean that there are no choice really.

And statical hexagram here may be interpreted like "stay still and think better, your mind is not very clear, concentrate on the hexagram you just got".

Anyway, three opens new vast horizons comparing to two.

With best regards.

yly2pg1

visitor
Reaction score
Peter, could you give an example. Sound very interesting!

lightofdarkness

(deceased)
Reaction score
text hexagram 'in' context hexagram is described by a hexagram.

The context is pushing the buttons in the text that elicit change - the context wants the text to be the 'correct' response ;-) - as we find in nature where context pushes life form, life form develops instincts and so allows context to push 'quicker' by not fighting it, but adapting to it. (the more 'charismatic' approach is to fight and take over ;-))

We can in fact derive a sequence of 64 hexagrams covering the dimension between text/context (asymmetric) or text/text or context/context (symmetric).

See some of the material covering the "logic of relationships" IC in:

http://members.iimetro.com.au/~lofting/myweb/icstruct.html

See also comments in that page on TRIADIC perspectives. (also relates to interpretations of quantum mechanics, Peircean semiotics, etc etc)

Note in the triadic perspectives that we already do it when we use consciousness to mediate between 'heaven and earth' ;-)

IOW 'everyday' reality is dichotomous but at extremes so we have (a) exaggeration of all possible outcomes through recursing the dichotomy to give a RANGE of potentials, one of which is actualised, and (b) the compression of information into 'superpositions' - many hexagrams map to the one space. The ONLY QUALITIES that are invarient are those attributed to the basic trigrams. (see the QM/I Ching wave interpretations material) - note that this dynamic of particular/general, crisp/vague, concentrated/diffuse, etc reflects the general qualities/dynamic in mRNA/DNA interactions - and they in turn reflect the ASYMMETRIC properties of recursing differentiating(yang)/integrating(yin)

Chris.

peter

visitor
Reaction score
Yly2pg1: an example? Well, here is my "triple hexagram" for today: 61 -> 36 -> 19. We see 4 moving lines in the first change and 2 - in the second. We also may notice, that in 61 -> 19 only two lines change, so - what is the trick with so many changing lines? I had to begin with "Inner Truth" and pass through "Darkening" (#36 always reminds me, that in Egyptian mythology Rha-Sun goes in his boat under earth at night and fights with demons on his way to the east) to finish in "Approach". Was the first change somehow difficult? I didn't feel so, maybe because of 3 yang lines move into yin, which may mean lessening of activity and concentrating on some inner matters - and it is habitual for me. Can I say that I finally came to "Approach"? No, I'll be there after some 3-4 hours from now. But it is only one approach (some pun?), and you also may interpret it like something that goes from depth to surface: while #61 is "surface", we see more moving near it than in depth (4 vs 2), so this my day passed not very deeply.

If you'd like, you may involve here also nuclear hexagrams (#27 for #61 and #40 for #36), patterns (#51 for the first change and #25 for the second change) and a meta-pattern (#34 for "51 -> 25"), but I'm rather tired now to perform such complex analysis.

Chris: well, I honestly scanned through your pages, but found nothing (at first sight) about triads. Couldn't you simply remind of some triadic archetypes? You mean that moving lines in the second change serve to correct and specify moving lines at first change? Sorry, you change direction of your thoughts too quickly, I don't keep my pace with you, so to say.

I remember some triads: 1) Gurdjieff's "three powers" (Positive, Negative and Neutralizing), and 2) Vedic "gunas" (Sattva, Rajas, Tamas - hope I spelled them correctly). Oh, and also the most evident - Past, Present and Future. But as for Chinese tradition, I can't recall some triadic division of a horizontal line, only vertical (Earth - Man - Heaven). We may also remember some runic placings with 3 pieces and their different interpretations.

With best regards.

lightofdarkness

(deceased)
Reaction score
For an analysis of a triadic perspective on the IC and semitotics see my page on Peirce:

http://members.iimetro.com.au/~lofting/myweb/peirce.html

The page I mentioned befofe covers the 'compression/decompression' of data in the associated page:

http://members.iimetro.com.au/~lofting/myweb/WaveStructure.html

It is also covered in the IDM material in general where we have:

species-nature: Stimulus/Response. Here our instincts are pushed by context and so there is no choice etc, no mediation.

consciousness-nature: Stimulus/Considered_Response - aka stimulus/mediation/response.

The MIDDLE position reflects the use of exaggeration to give us CHOICES in response - we do this in learning where the feedback from the mediation position allows us to refine our response until it is 'perfect' (for the moment ;-))

ANY of this dynamic is representable by hexagrams/dodecagrams etc.

The dynamic of heaven/man/earth is dicussed in various pages on my site and used in the proactive IC material:

http://members.iimetro.com.au/~lofting/myweb/lofting/icplusProact.html

If you go through the archives on this list you will find more material.

The focus on moving universally from general to particular, from context to text, works 'vertically' but also 'horizontally' - see the matrices in:

http://members.iimetro.com.au/~lofting/myweb/icmatrix.html

These sequences are entangled in that the rotation of one leads to the other - with the traditional IC sequence being an example of invariance under rotation - it is a PARTICULAR example in a set of MANY examples of IC sequences. In our brains the rotation is of XOR/AND dynamics but the traditional sequence shows us a set of orderings that are invarient AS PAIRS.

Chris.

lightofdarkness

(deceased)
Reaction score
... and so dont confuse line structure with the QUALITY being described (e.g. 01,02 is a PAIR covering notions of, issues with, purity - as compared to 63,64 that cover MIXING etc)

lightofdarkness

(deceased)
Reaction score
BTW - re the 'triad' of past-present-future. The work out of neurosciences indicate that 'present' is a useful delusion - all 'flows' but in the development of life we have the ability to create an internal state that is static and we call it the 'present'. Physiologically what happens is when we come across something 'new' we focus attention and in so doing increase energy and that has an affect on our experience of subjective time - it seems to be slowable, stoppable, and even considered reversible! - thermodynamic time is converted into mechanistic time. To OUR experience what happens is we increase bandwidth to know something 'NOW' whilst time continues - IOW the 'now' is our 'now' not some universal 'now'.

This NOW state correlates with the notion of PRESENT and with MEDIATION ;-)

Our lifespan is measurable in heart-beats - as is the lifespan of the mouse - it lives 2 years, we live 70 - but its burn rate is very high such that our experiuenced time would be about the same. (there is a formula for it - covers the burn rate per kg per sec etc - even thinking isnt 'free' ;-))

Chris.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).