...life can be translucent

Menu

What to do about a gift? 48.2.4.6

Pearlescent

visitor
Reaction score
I have been invited to a baby shower this weekend and I don't have money to get anything nice, in fact I'm struggling to even make it to the baby shower at all financially speaking since it's kind of far away. I know my friend and she's pretty relaxed, I doubt she'll expect me to bring anything but I really feel that I ought to. I don't want to show up without anything. I could probably spare a few dollars to get something at the dollar store, or I could make something... But I thought I'd ask the Yi

What to do about a gift?

Hexagram 48.2.4.6 (the well) to 33 Retreat

What if I don't bring a gift?

Hexagram 51 uc

Honestly, the biggest shock to me that would be possible is if I didn't bring a gift and nobody cared either way. Or it's possible I will come up with something out of the blue to bring... Also looking at the relating hex in the first casting as 33, maybe I shouldn't even be worried about this right now. It would be nice to let it go, if the Yi says it's ok to do that.

Another look at the first reading... and I think the first changing line is indicating the nature of where I'm at now, the jug leaks, not really able to do much with it at the moment.

The second changing line in the 4th place says no blame, assuming this could unfold sequentially maybe this could indicate the situation as a work in progress.

And the top changing line, seems there will be good fortune. Maybe I'll figure out what to do? I really hope so. The shame of showing up without a gift may or may not be totally self imposed, but in a perfect world I figure out something awesome to bring them.

That's my take on it, wondering if anyone is seeing something I'm possibly missing? Or if there are other interpretations that could be helpful please feel free to chime in, it'll be much appreciated! I also plan on coming back and updating this once I figure out what happens. The shower is this weekend so I should know relatively soon how this plays out, and I plan on having a good time there regardless! I look forward to playing baby games. and perhaps eating some cupcakes.

soshin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
48, 2,4,6 may give an insight into the root of the situation.

You are out of resources (second line), have to "repair" this lack of resources (fourth line) and finally will be able again to give freely (sixth line).

Have you "withdrawn from the world" (33) in one way or another at some point in the past? Could this be the reason for your lack of resources? Just pondering...

Pearlescent

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you for responding Soshin, your interpretation is very helpful... and to answer your question, yes, I am a recluse :) that is a little bit part of why I'm not overflowing with resources right now. I really wonder how I will repair the lack of resources before the day after tomorrow in terms of bringing a gift... like I said, I'll keep everyone updated on how it turns out :)

D

diamanda

Repair something old you already have and give this as a gift?

soshin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Repair something old you already have and give this as a gift?

LOL, I found your post in my mailbox because I have subsribed to this thread. I wanted to write exactly the same, you beat me by an hour. :-D

Furthermore, I would like to add that it seems to me as if the seclusion (33) in itself may be the underlying problem the Yi (and the baby which gets shown around ;) ) addresses.

If it was only for him/her, Pearlescent wouldn't probably be too uncomfortable with the lack of funds her/his seclusion brings with it. But now it isn't only for her. Which is sad. :( Might serve as a reminder that withdrawal->less income->inability to travel->more withdrawal and so on can become a vitious cycle.

But I am positive that she/he either understands that in this situation actually she is the gift (among other reasons because it seems to be quite a financial burden for her to even travel there), and/or finds something to "repair". May very well be it wouldn't be only the thing she will give as a gift. ;)

:bows:

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
I don't think Yi is saying:
Go and look for coins at the bottom of a fountain that is being repaired :)

I think you are wasting your energies (48.2), your funds are unavailable for now(48.3), just go without a present (48.6) your presence will be enough. Maybe use your talent somehow, offer your services .. time ..

Richmond, h33:
When it is unsuitable to go in one direction we can go in another only if we are not totally-locked into the desire for the first.
Small matters or large ones are classified according to our choices and desires, so the direction in which we wished to go,and are prevented from advancing towards,is a large matter for us and other directions which hold no desire are small matters.
The advantage in continuing movement in these other directions is that they too contain experience;
the success in this tao is in yielding to our circumstances and so finding new worlds we had not noticed because of our singleness of purpose.

48 - 33.png

39.4 Legge: Shows its subject advancing, (but only) to (greater) difficulties. He remains stationary, and unites (with the subject of the line above).
39.4 Richmond:
The unflowing state of outer action appears to us to be an obstruction. By becoming less involved in this we can be more aware of what is actually going on around us.

31.6 Maybe they will say something, but it will be just empty words.

Pearlescent

visitor
Reaction score
Well I did go to the shower, and there WERE cupcakes, of which I had several. I was also divinely inspired while playing one of the baby games about what to get my friend. I found out her favorite book when she was a kid was 'are you my mother?'..... some of you might remember this book. I thought how perfect it would be to recreate the scene where he finds his mother as a framed picture for the baby's room. If I had gotten them something or made them something before going to the shower I highly doubt it would have been as appropriate or touching as the idea that came to me while I was there. Now I can give them a gift that will really mean something :)

image.jpg

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).