...life can be translucent

Menu

What should I do with my property? 5.1.3.6 - 59.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I inherited a house which is occupied now by some very nice people but I'm not getting much in rent. I asked the I Ching what I should do with the property. My thinking is that I could continue to rent to the current tenants, ask them to leave and then fix up the place a bit and get higher rent, take out a mortgage on the house and then invest the money at a higher percentage than the mortgage, or sell the place.
The answer I got seems to say to me "Wait awhile and then sell it." I am wary of this answer though because it seems to simply be mirroring my current situation, what I'm doing now, but I'm not sure I'm doing the wisest thing. I mean I am just waiting and I suppose eventually I will 59. Disperse - sell. I'm particularly uncomfortable with "5.3, Waiting in mud, get out of the pit." The house has got a lot of things that need tweaking but particularly disturbing is that the tenants aren't taking great care of the yard and I'm wondering if that's going to be a major cost to redo when I eventually sell. Does Get out of the pit mean I should ask these tenants to move? I really don't want to do that but I'm not getting much for my money owning this house and renting it out. Or does 59. mean don't sell because I may want to live there in my old age? What about 5.6? Maybe eventually some one makes me an offer I can't refuse?

Any insights most appreciated!
rosada

B

butterfly spider

Rosada
I am not particularly familiar with hex 5 although hex 59 dispersing means that you will sell

My hunch from the reading is that it will take you a while to decide that unless you want to actually live there - holding onto it is like having too many possessions held up in one place - could be the muddy pit. I think you are being advised here that to get rid of the tenants and spend money on the place to then rent out again is not the best option. House prices are going up and by biding your time and waiting - you could get rid of the tenants spend a bit to smarten it up and then sell. I don't think that you are being told to remortgage either - too much energy in one place again

Whenever I have had hex 59 it has meant getting rid of energies that I no longer need. Maybe this is the house
X

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Wow, thank you! Particularly your interpretation of the muddy pit referring to my having too much held up in one place - rather than that the house itself was becoming a muddy pit! - makes great sense and calms my confusion.
Thank you again,
rosada

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
All three lines advise you to just wait till the situation resolves itself or circumstances will change unexpectedly. The dispersion of your worries is coming (59), be patient.

Richmond, h5:
Knowing that there is learning to be had in this process of waiting gives us confidence that we are not missing something; If we are to persevere in waiting we cannot be continually regretting our inactivity, we have to change sides, cross the great water, change our attitude so that we can experience waiting as the natural order as much as activity.

5 - 59.png

48.3 You have what you need (in money terms I think) already.
29.6 Is like a warning not to act for now. Or you will entangle and bind yourself for a long time. (mortgage?)

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Really, really helpful, Ashterold. I hadn't even considered how entangling a mortgage would be .

Thank you,
Rosada

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think this says wait since lines 1 and 6 move you've done enough waiting....you did the whole waiting thing. When the whole hexagram is gone through quickly, lines 1 and 6 changing then the relating hexagram comes to the fore. So 59 ? Disperse it, let it go, let it dissolve. You have been waiting to let it dissolve, ie sell it for some time....so let it go now.

I could be wrong but I trust you know enough of Yi to make the best choice for you.

B

butterfly spider

I think this makes sense actually
I thought about the idea if waiting - but then also if your energy and money being in a pit
Am not sure if timescale but certainly you need to start thinking. ...

Sometimes things happen that mean we have to disperse and I was thinking that perhaps the tenants might leave or do something that forces your hand

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Did you inherit the tenants along with the house? If they're not "your" tenants, maybe they are the "uninvited guests" in line 6, which are to be "honored," not asked to leave?

And don't we usually consider the relating hexagram to be the context or background, not the outcome or instructions, so maybe 59 isn't advice to sell? Although maybe once in a while it's the outcome; not sure.

Re: the yard, is there a way you could gently or indirectly get across the idea that you'd like them to do this or that better? (That's not from the reading.)

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Also not from the reading - if you're not completely sure what you want to do, maybe err on the side of not selling? You can always sell it (unless something horrible happens to either the house or the market, I suppose, heaven forbid). But once it's sold, it's sold. If you then regret it, you're out of luck.

Back to the reading - maybe line 6 could mean wait until something or things happen to make your decision more clear?

I see what people are saying about line 3, that the property is the bog and you're stuck in it. Another possibility might be that you're bogged down in the decision itself.

Maybe...

Line 1 - distance yourself from this, stand outside the decision for a while, maybe keep the status quo for now?
Line 3 - don't get bogged down in what to do; maybe everything can just wait a while
Line 6 - and then maybe something unexpected will happen to make you decision clear and easy?

Not at all sure about this, though...I'm glad it's not my problem; I would have zero desire to be a landlord ...best wishes, Rosada...:eek:uch: :)

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
What should I do with my property?
5.1.3.6 > 59

Keep it. It is giving you a sense of security now, which cash won't. It is your fallback position. You know that I ignore the ingenious line text of Dan, the Duke of Zhou. Hexagram 5 is not 'waiting'. Specifically, it is guard duty on the border against the enemy. In you case the great enemy is aging. You have already experienced its onslaught. Your body will age, and those you once depended on will die. Hexagram 59 is the coffin, the wooden yin house that protects the body. Keep your security. Keep the house. If converted to cash, at this point in time the cash is unlikely to flourish.

the tenants aren't taking great care of the yard

Should they? You cannot, with rare exceptions, expect tenants to take care of low hanging limbs, dead trees, or dead bushes. You cannot expect them to prune shrubs regularly. Tenants who have ever lived in apartments expect yard care to be free. They do not understand the real costs of country living in terms of labor, herbicides, and tools, and you are not going to educate them. Perhaps they are not fit to do yard work, do not have pruning tools, a pump sprayer, or a riding lawn mower, in which case they are incompetent to take care of much of a yard. I suggest that you tell your tenants what you expect, hire someone to do the work that they fail to do, and send them the bill. That will get their attention.

B

butterfly spider

It's interesting how different the interpretations are here ...
Given The depth of experience of some people here I feel somewhat inadequate

But. My interpretation does tell me that somewhere in this you have energies buried in something you no longer need ....

Xx

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
You know that I ignore the ingenious line text of Dan, the Duke of Zhou. Hexagram 5 is not 'waiting'.

Who is Dan? Are you saying that was the Duke of Zhou's name? Apologies if I've missed something that is common Yi-knowledge or something you've said a lot...would you expound on this a little if you don't mind? Thanks, Pocossin.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Who is Dan? Are you saying that was the Duke of Zhou's name? Apologies if I've missed something that is common Yi-knowledge or something you've said a lot...would you expound on this a little if you don't mind? Thanks, Pocossin.

Clearly you have not read The Mandate of Heaven: Hidden History of the I Ching by S.J. Marshall. Dan was the fourth son of King Wen and in my opinion is the author of all of the appended text of the I Ching.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Zhou

I do not accept Marshall's thesis but respect his scholarship. In matters of divination I by far prefer father to son.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
No, I haven't read it, but I really need to. Thanks, Pocossin.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks All,

I see your point Trojina, that 5.6 suggests being beyond Waiting. Combining that idea with Lisa's insight that the "guests" could be referring to the tenants makes me consider that the tenants may be interested in buying the place. But of course then Tom may have a good point that 5.1.3.6 - 59 could also mean to wait about selling/dispersing.
Wel, I'm not going to make any decision right now but these conversations have helped me focus and hopefully now I'll come up with a plan.
Thank you all,
Rosada

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I waited and then sold when a realtor emerged out of the blue (an uninvited guest?) with an offer and I accepted it.
The buyer was not in a hurray so I was able to give the tenants (whom I inherited along with the house) 5 months notice - so you might say I "honored them." I "Dispersed" the money between myself and my kids.

MrKind

visitor
Reaction score
That's good to hear.. So it is possible to take out a mortgage with tenants still living in the property? Funny how this situation somehow resembles my own but from the other side (I'm the tenant ofc)

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Good luck with your situation MrKind. If there are parallels to our stories you might be encouraged to know that the tenants from my house were able to relocate smoothly.

MrKind

visitor
Reaction score
Yes, well I am still waiting for the answer from them and haven't send them an email either but I will wait for one more week and do it. It really feels like this puzzle is out of the pattern, so if I will really need to move it will mean it was destined somewhere higher than I can comprehend. ;) (that doesn't make this situation any better, there are no flats to rent left in this city and the prices are just sick)

Olga Super Star

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Mr Kind
I don’t know where you live but here if you are asked to move they need to give you at least 6 months notice (and so you must give them when you leave the property).
It really strikes me that Rosada says that since the buyer was not in a hurry she was able to give them five months notice. Would have been any different had he been in a hurry? I mean people first need to find another place then they need the time to pack everything they store in the house (beds, mattresses, kitchen, sofas, carefully pack every single plate and cup and your grandma ‘s pots and tea set..)
It normally takes at least two months to just move your stuff, and you need time for it, that’s why most people here move in August (which I am also hoping to do!) (and my housemate did the same last year and two other housemates are doing the same this year) .. because we’re on holidays!

As to buying with people inside, of course you can, they will just change their landlord.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).