...life can be translucent

Menu

Question about a job

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the sight, it looks really great. I have done the IC for years but have alot of questions about my answers.
I asked the IC if I should pursue a job, it's a civil servant job for which I passed a test but you still have to go on interviews and get chosen. I recieved 39.5 changing to 15 which to me seemed to say no but then I remembered I didn't have a up to date resume and my son has offered to help me get it into shape, so I was wondering if it meant to pursue the job after I got my resume in shape or does it mean to not pursue at all? Thanks to anyone for help.

jte

visitor
Reaction score
From what you describe, I'd say the Yi's answer indicates you should go forward after getting the help of your son.

I'm not sure if you use the Wilhelm translation, but FYI your situation parallels the commentary on 39.5 given there.

Best of luck...

- Jeff

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you Jte for the reply. I have the Greg Whincup translation which made me think not to pursue but then I read Wilhelm on line and reconsidered. I think 15 refers to the resume possibly or the interview, maybe.What do you think?

jte

visitor
Reaction score
Well, the change to 15 is "built into" the reading (in all its general applicability) so I'd say that for most situations where you receive that line humility is either required for or a result of the situation.

My two cents on that aspect...

- Jeff

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
Wow, now I'm not quite sure what 15 means. I thought it had positivie connatations, but humility as a result of the situation sounds kind of negative. also not sure what you mean by saying 15 is built into the reading. Is that in general all results are built into the changing lines and original hexagrams or are you being more specific. What is your take on getting 15 while looking for a job? Good or maybe a pass? Thanks for the 2 cents though.

gavagirl

visitor
Reaction score
Maybe the 15 refers to the unfinished resume? Perhaps it would be wise to make sure that it doesn't exaggerate abilities and past accomplishments? If it were me, I would probably work over the resume to make sure I wasn't looking overambitious or overqualified in some respect.

I am pretty new at this, but hex 39 reminds me of something a meditation teacher said about his teaching. He told us that he was trying to get us cornered, allow us none of our standard escapes, so that we would be forced into a sudden insight or spontaneous awakening. Does that kind of theme speak to you? Is this new job just a way to make a little more money, or are you making this change in an attempt to get out of a rut with yourself?

If it were me, I'd be looking for this situation to offer some real surprises. It might be that it will come out quite positively, but not at all in the way that you are expecting.

C

candid

Hi Susan,

You may find LiSe's 39 and line 5 helpful.

15 works compatibly with others, so in that sense it doesn't stand alone proudly or make a show. This accords with 39.5.

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
Well, yes I am in a rut, I've been unemployed for awhile and really need a job now and my temp work isn't working out. I didn't want to go with this job but feel like maybe I should reconsider. So it being positive in a surprising way would make alot of sense.
Also thanks for that link. Really cool.
I use to do the IC for years than stopped and never knoew about all these web sites. It's so nice to share this with everyone. Thanks

jte

visitor
Reaction score
"not sure what you mean by saying 15 is built into the reading. Is that in general all results are built into the changing lines and original hexagrams or are you being more specific"

Hehe, sorry to sound coy but both. As you know, generally moving lines to new Hexagrams is built into the IC. Therefore, 15 is specifically built into 39.5 - whenever you get 39.5 as an answer, Humility is part of what is required to accomplish what you need to do. Same with any moving line that leads to 15, e.g. 36.1.

"humility as a result of the situation sounds kind of negative"

I don't think it's negative in the IC, we in the West have a cultural difference there with the mindset behind the Yi. Also, I don't think you can shy away from it and successfully cope with the situation (at least, not in the way the Yi is suggesting).

You might not realize this, but accepting help from you son shows humility. There are those in this world who's pride would prevent them from accepting (even needed) help from their child in a matter like this, no? So, stay humble and do what you need to do - it gets you further in the end... ;-)

- Jeff

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you, oh so interesting what you said. My resume is a shambles and my work history is embarassing for me and I do feel humiliated about my resume. So interesting. thank you. Also I would be humbling myself in taking this job cause I really didn't want it, but as I've said I have been reconsidereing and it seems like I should go ahead with it and with my sons help (he is 23)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).