...life can be translucent

Menu

What to do about workplace?

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
Sounds good. Did you get a demotion tho? It says in Greg Whincup's that 41.2 means "from such a reduced position it is possible to increase. One may advance as long as one does not advance aggressively." For 27 he says "by staying where he is , he will both be safe and gain nourishment."

mindful_seeker

visitor
Reaction score
Interesting. No, I did not get a demotion, but I am being hazed in this new department. That's feels similar to a demotion except that is was actually a promotion!

More interesting: I asked Yi what to do about one particular person in the workplace and got 41.2.6 and so the issues are very close.

HELP

S

seeker

Does your boss or someone else at work have unreasonable expectations, or are you being asked to do something you don't feel right about? What I get from 41.2 is to not diminish yourself to serve others. Wilhelm, he who throws himself away in order to do the bidding of a superior diminishes his own position.

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
24 your boss might come along and help you. (Whinicup translation)

mindful_seeker

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you all. I don't think I've been diminishing myself, although I haven't been taking very good care of myself because I'm working very long hours and I'm still behind. I finally got ill this weekend and realize I need to re-group and figure out a better pattern and time management for myself. So in a sene, that is diminishing me by not making myself a priority.

Yes, it lookslike my boss is going to help me. And another thought: Not tanding up for myself could certainly be a type of diminishment. Part of what's going on is my need to stand up to the pressures. I'm great with standing up to some people, but there are other kinds of personalities that make me want to run and hide. This is part of my work to face in this new position.

Thank you for helping me to see these aspects in my situation.

-mindful seeker

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
I hope you feel better, but am curious as to why you say yes your boss is going to help you. Did something happen or is that your impression from interpreting the hexagram.

yly2pg1

visitor
Reaction score
M_seeker, i think your situation is slightly precarious. That is why Yi is recommending a kind diminishing that serves to protect yourself (particularly your emotional side) but at the same time fulfill your responsibility.

Since you are being hazed in the new department, anyone can view your completion of task with their own selfish judgement. Rest assured that as long as you could establish good rapport with your superior (or someone on top) in both your speech and manners, and at the same time work your best to fulfill your superior expectations, you will be safe.

Safeguard your emotions!
Know your allies.

C

candid

Let go of giving a damn what the others think and focus on doing an outstanding job. Definitely take good care of yourself.

mindful_seeker

visitor
Reaction score
Susan, my boss has always been helpful mostly because he sees the challenges I face and in fact, he anticipated many of them before I started. We discussed the dynamics of this group before I transfered to this department. Recently I asked for a specific kind of suppport and he has agreed, so yes, something happened.

Yly2, I have a staff of 18 people, most of whom are ignoring my requests for information, ignoring deadlines set for projects, missing meetings and arriving late for work. Half of them are still shmoozing with their old manager and, I'm starting to learn, commiserating about me and the restructuring that caused his transfer (he didn't want to leave) and my arrival. The work must continue, we have a new product to ship soon, and people need to shape up! I'm nearly ready to fire three people, and it shouldn't have to happen if adults could be adults! But, I do need to produce for my boss as you say, and this means I need to take action with those not willing to get on the tain. It just doesn't match my picture of myself as a manager.

Candid, Well said. Leading in a situation where I'm unwanted isn't easy. I want to be liked. This need is getting in the way if my making some difficult decisions. But if I don't move forward I loose the boss's respoct, and won't gain much from the masses either, I suppose.

Thanks everybody.

-mindful seeker

yly2pg1

visitor
Reaction score
More interesting: I asked Yi what to do about one particular person in the workplace and got 41.2.6 and so the issues are very close.

M_seeker, when dealing with this particular person, put your emotional needs aside. Attend to his/her needs without attaching your pre-conceived idea about this person. Let your action be as simple and pure as possible.

If this person is one of the element in your department related to the situation you are dealing now, do not be surprised to find out he or she is the key to disperse the haze and frustrations surrounding you now ...

C

candid

Mindful,

I?m understanding a bit more about your circumstances from what you?ve said. Even the toughest managers want to be liked, even embraced. It takes time for people to adjust to their new manager, and while it requires a buy-in, not everyone may be able to do so. There are pre-existing loyalties to the one you?ve replaced. He/she probably had their own pets and these may require time to make the adjustment. Some may never accept the transition completely, but that doesn?t mean that they can not be productive members of your team.

One thing that jumps out at me is your fear of losing your bosses respect. Your intentions, though well meaning, can be perceived as a bit of ass kissing and can translate to others as being fearful. No-one performs their best just to make their boss look good. These people have their motive-radar turned up high, you can bet.

Firing those 3 people may get your team?s attention, but if the people you fire possess the kind of talent you need to complete your assignments successfully, it could hurt you in the long run. The bottom line is the bottom line: can they and will they perform their job to a standard that is acceptable? Whether they love you or hate you is really secondary. Sometimes our greatest adversaries turn out to become our greatest allies, but that takes time and steadfastness on your part. You are being tested every bit as much as they are.

In context with all this, 41.2 seems to say ? do not try to impress anyone, neither your boss nor your team. Simply tend to the job with an even hand, nourishing yourself and those given to your care. Learn to relax in your new position and chances are you will gain the confidence of those who are as yet undecided about you. Then you can all tend to the nourishment of the company you work for as a real team.

Hope this doesn?t come across as a lecture. With 20+ years in business management, to be clich?, I can feel your pain.

mindful_seeker

visitor
Reaction score
Yly2, YES!!! The person I specifically asked Yi about is the key. I'm seeing that now.

Candid, Not sure why it came across so loud that I'm fearful of loosing my boss'respect, but I see what you see when I re-read the above. It's not so. I have a solid relationship with him, and communicate openly. The real pull I'm strugglng with is between expecting accountability and responsibility from people (meet deadlines, show up for work on time, etc.) and also being a good listener, attentive, and sensitive to people's felings WITHOUT enabling them to get stuck in the past. This is the reason they remain loyal to the old manager, because he didn't expect outcomes or accountability on tasks, but did take care of people's feelings. Now I come along and want them to actually work???

More later. Back to the grindstone ...

jerryd

visitor
Reaction score
Mindful-seeker when a new set of rules are being initated in a work place there is always room for allowing time for change to happen, this also applies to old rules now being enforced by a new authority, I have always been told"it is easier to replace someone who is unhappy than to make them happy" I do not know if this applies in you case but sounds like you have the tools to make it work. Think about it. Good harvesting.

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
Mindful, I wonder what the product is you are producing? Do you mind telling?
I don't think you should fire anyone at this point in time, I think the line 2 speaks to that.

Does the person who is bothering you have a family?or is he single?
I think you are going to do fine in the end. i thinnk you should take Candid interpretation to heart also.

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
Oh, I was just wondering if it had a connection to nourishment. But I can't see what. So I hope things are going better for you.

yly2pg1

visitor
Reaction score
To meet deadline is always a big challenge in software development.

Sometimes you just can't tell where and when the bug can appear. Some bug can cause lots of money depending on its application. I can imagine why some of them appear to be less cooperative. It could be due to the nature of the job itself. Sometimes you just can't rush.

jte

visitor
Reaction score
"software development"

You have my sympathies, friend...

( Sorry, just had to ;-) )

- Jeff

mindful_seeker

visitor
Reaction score
Yes, well this is for a specialized children's program so nourishment is involved in what we do. Things aren' much different yet, but it will take time.

-mindful seeker

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
wow. IC is too much, don't you think?
Can you have a brainstorming meeting with everyone? Just to make them feel involved and important.

mindful_seeker

visitor
Reaction score
I thought you might want an update, as my way to thank you for your input and advice here. Turns out that Yi was correct about how close the issues are with this one individual and the overall department. I now know that this one person, who holds considerable influence, has in fact actively influenced others. Some good conversations are on it's way now, and the path and the truth are starting to open up.

Thank you.

-mindful seeker

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).