...life can be translucent

Menu

When will her baby be born? 29.5 -> 7

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Someone close to me is pregnant and nearing her due date. The pregnancy has had some complications and I'll be relieved when she and the baby are safely delivered. The baby has passed the threshold for a "preemie" birth, and at this point it would benefit the mother's own health to deliver soon.

I asked, "When will her baby be born?" and received 29.5 -> 7. I have no experience in interpreting timing based questions, but wanted to see what I could learn from Yi on this one. I will come back and update.

29 seems like a good picture of the situation. She's not in dire straits by any means but a few issues have come up (mild diabetes) which can be troublesome, though she's handled them very well. The fifth line seems to be saying "not quite yet" in terms of delivery, but also that the danger isn't overflowing the brim-- so she seems to be within the bounds of safety. Or, maybe it's a very literal picture of her waters having yet to break...? This from Wilhelm is also reassuring that she shouldn't accept much intervention unless necessary: "So likewise a man when in danger has only to proceed along the line of least resistance; thus he reaches the goal." It seems like the baby will appear on its own. And that this line implies that, at least at this moment, it's still not ready.

7 seems like a quite literal image of the work, willpower, and preparation involved with delivering a child! The only hex I thought might be even more literal a picture of labor would be "Pushing Upward" (am I missing something??) but then, when in labor, you push down, not up, so maybe not...

Thoughts? Anyone?

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Also-- perhaps this should be a different thread, but it was an "aha" moment, so here we go-- I was wondering what this baby would be like (in personality, temperament, soul)-- and wondered if Yi would have any insights. I considered the fact that the baby is not an independent entity yet, so perhaps Yi doesn't know? Anyway, I proposed,

"Give me a picture of the baby" and received 1.1 -> 44.

Such an astute and concise answer for an unanswerable question about a person who has not been born yet. (Thank you, Yi!)

Last edited:
T

taoscopy

Short answer: I don't know.

Long answer: when I asked the Yi about 29.5 I got: "One stops to prepare." I have no clue what it means exactly.

All I can say is that it is associated with 7.5, "Something useful can be obtained, the most experienced will be able to do it, another would damage it."

Wilhelm says about 7.5 that there is game devastating the fields and needs to be captured. While the vocabulary is excessive, it's an interesting description. The game is consuming resources from the field, so it might represent the baby in the mother's womb.

So, alternatively, "One stops to prepare." would mean that the peasant stops their current work in the field to deal with the situation.

29 - Depth

When problems are too difficult, one tries to work around them.
29 - Depth

5 - One stops to prepare.
In the making
7 - The will

To solve their problems, one will need discipline and continuity.

http://taoscopy.com/en/consultation/878898/

So, my take is that the mother needs to stop her current tasks and complete the preparation for the birth.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
"Give me a picture of the baby" and received 1.1 -> 6.

(Thank you, Yi!)

1.1 changes to 44
It is too soon to know what choices the princling will make,
Who he will grow into.

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, thanks for catching that Moss Elk! I can't believe I wrote 6. Too late at night and too excited I guess!

44 is especially perfect-- I like LiSe's translation of it as "Heir" and the image of a woman giving birth.

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Also, thanks so much Taoscopy. I really appreciate your site and your precise, to-the-point distillations have helped me numerous times.

I do think this was a sign she should prepare/getting ready (especially with 7 involved), perhaps for waters breaking soon. She's working up to the day of the birth and her office is a solid 50 minutes from the hospital, which is a little far for my taste... But there's another hospital in between the two places if it became urgent.

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Okay, I went back and looked at my notes-- perhaps a lesson not to try casting late at night, the second casting was actually 1.1.3->6 . A bit different and more cautionary than 1.1 -> 44. I wonder how telling it is that I managed to completely overlook the 3rd line at first, even though I know the I Ching well and clearly 1 with only line one changing is not 6. (I used a computer program for this casting-- I go back and forth between that and coins-- after a few uncanny experiences with the computer and coins giving the exact same reading for the same question which I'm sure a lot of you have experienced, I've decided Yi is perfectly fine with speaking through 21st century tools, and sometimes it's quicker... :bows:)

Anyway, I can't recall another time recently where I've made such an obvious mistake with the reading. I wonder what it means. 1.3 stirs the pot a little more, but perhaps it shows the baby is getting ready to march on out. Maybe it means the birth is really imminent!

I have to say I do prefer 1.1. -> 44 as a reading for this situation...oh well. We'll see what happens. I'll definitely update.

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
I think Legge's line 5 fits here perfectly:
Shows the water of the defile not yet full, (so that it might flow away);
but order will (soon) be brought about.
There will be no error.

The baby will be born at the right time, and soon, without much problems, it will be fine.

About 1.1-44, Well I see here a perfect image of 1 (Everything that is possible, The Source of All), manifesting a new soul - 44, A Powerful Female. She will go far in this life.
Probably independent, strong, self-assured woman.

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
Ooh, so it was 1.1.3 - 6
A woman with a profession in a field of law then :)
Mediator, judge, lawyer.

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
:eek: Ashteroid, the mother-to-be is a lawyer! I'm very impressed. :bows:

Also, an ultrasound from earlier in the pregnancy showed the baby was likely female, so that's probably correct, too.

Thank you!

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
What a coincidence, as I was writing my last post [oops I felt goosies just now]
my grandma showed me - out of the blue - my very first baby clothes with my name-tag. wow.
She has found them somewhere, and will donate them to a museum of USSR-era.

I got the law aspect from hex 6, stride, conflict, the judgement. Someone who was to deal with it.

Olga Super Star

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
oh - I myself would have said someone who will fall easily into conflict :rofl:

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Olga, I would say that might be another definition for a lawyer! :)

S

sooo

K'an represents the heart, the soul locked up within the body, the principle of light inclosed in the dark.. Wilhelm 29

So likewise a man when in danger has only to proceed along the line of least resistance; thus he reaches the goal. Great labors cannot be accomplished in such times.. Wilhelm line 5

This hexagram is made up of the trigrams K'an, water, and K'un, earth, and thus it symbolizes the ground water stored up in the earth. - Wilhelm 7

Considering the Fan Yao, what appears to matter here is not a date but that the baby is brought to full term and not born prematurely.

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks sooo! Her technical due date is a week away but the baby is considered "full term" already. But perhaps the reading means it will be born close to the due date and not before. Due dates are pretty arbitrary though... I'm getting antsy! :)

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
I have no experience in interpreting timing based questions, but wanted to see what I could learn from Yi on this one.

Let's try a logical exercise:
29 Water above Water → 7 Earth above Water.
1) Where did the water go? Evaporated by the Sun, so the birth will take place during a day (sunny day, OR even on Sunday). What's the weather in your region? (summer? is it hot?)

2) Assuming the length of day and night is equal, it will be 12h.
2.b) Let's assume that day starts at 9:00 and ends at 21:00.
3) The sequence of lines goes from below and up, hence line 1-3 are the night, 4-6 are the day.
4) Having line 5 as a marker, indicates the middle of the day.
Answer: 4 hour period from 13:00 to 17:00. (after rainy day, on sunny day, possibly Sunday).

And now let's wait.

By the way 29.5 advises you not to worry, you can't influence this thing, so just wait. All will happen in due time.

Crowley: Be patient, time brings order with grave pace.

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks, ashteroid! Baby's still not made an appearance... They're going to induce in the next few days if labor hasn't begun on its own, as the baby's gotten quite large. It's summertime, and very hot and muggy (but no rain) where they are. I'm excited to see what happens!

I asked last night for a picture of the baby's birth, after hearing about the possible induction... and received 52.1.2.5 into 9, which I have to say makes me a little uneasy. Perhaps it indicates cesarean section? Or maybe Yi is just telling me to cool it and wait, haha. I hope it is the latter! I won't ask any more questions of Yi until she's in labor (and will try not to then, I don't want to muddy the waters and though she's a family member I am of course outside the situation...) I will be relieved as soon as they are both safely delivered. Hopefully on Sunday, ashteroid!

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Update: baby born midmorning Saturday on a hot, sunny day. A completely smooth, easy, uncomplicated, natural birth at full term. Labor lasted about 12 hours. Everybody's healthy and happy and normal.

I don't totally understand how the last reading, 52.1.2.5 into 9, describes it. Sometimes I think "Keeping Still" is maybe not the most accurate translation of that hex...? Or maybe Yi was talking to me about something else, or my place in the situation. Anyway it was a classic textbook example of an easy birth, for which I am so grateful.

Anyway, thank you everyone for your input!

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
Congratulations Mulberry, now you can have the peace of mind back :)
I do think that 52-9 was meant for you too, along with 29-7. Relax and wait.

Is it a Girl??

T

taoscopy

Update: baby born midmorning Saturday on a hot, sunny day. A completely smooth, easy, uncomplicated, natural birth at full term. Labor lasted about 12 hours. Everybody's healthy and happy and normal.

Saturday is the weekend so it's when the preparation stops, "One stops to prepare.". No error, but we haven't been able to interpret correctly.

I don't totally understand how the last reading, 52.1.2.5 into 9, describes it.

It did not, the Yi told you that you wouldn't get the picture.

52 tells you to stop

Line 1 tells you that you shouldn't ask to see.
Line 2 that you are asking too much.
Line 5 that you should not express your doubts

9 tells you that the baby is not visible yet

I asked last night for a picture of the baby's birth, after hearing about the possible induction...

52 - Stop

One recognizes that it is time to stop because they need to be fed.

1 - One does not go to see what others are doing, to avoid troubles.

2 - The other wants more, one cannot hold them.

5 - One does not express their doubts so as not to create difficulties.
In the making
9 - Appearance

Something is not yet visible.

*http://taoscopy.com/en/consultation/667867/

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks Ashteroid! And oh yes, it is a girl! She's very pink and strong and healthy.

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks taoscopy! I don't feel like I was getting scolded by Yi exactly, but I'm very glad for your interpretation as it makes all clear. I've been very careful with my words to the mother as so many people needlessly alarm pregnant women by speaking carelessly. I haven't done that at all. Just warmth and reassurance. Privately I was worried but that was more about my own experiences with other births, I think-- I was careful not to mention those issues to the mother. I was following the 52 model/the lines in the reading without even realizing it. But you made it clear. I'm so happy and relieved everyone is OK.

Last edited:

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Yes! That's what it felt like. Gentle teasing/admonishment not to worry so much. (I am a chronic worrier.)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).