...life can be translucent

Menu

Many work questions

willow

visitor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm enjoying catching up with the many new (and old) voices here since I've been away.

As some will know, there are times when I find it helpful to ask a whole battery of questions - the initial confusion and blurring of focus seems to eventually bring out a deeper clarity.

Well, I've done it again, and I thought I would share the whole lot of them right at the outset here. Interpretations/observations welcome of course - on any of the readings or on the approach as a whole...

One of the things I've been looking at recently is how my work situation fits into my life - what types and degrees of changes would be helpful, and which might not. I'm really very unclear whether the best course is to try to make change within the current situation, or to "revolutionize" by moving on to a new one - whether it's best to address my attitude or my circumstances. For some time, quite a few aspects of the situation have been "locked" (I know, I know - consider saying lucid, hanging, floating, static...etc...), but that is changing now.

So I've asked:

Q1) What is the long term future of my work with X (overall employing entity)?

A1) #2(field) ==> #4(Enveloping/Ignorance) (lines 2&6 moving)

Q2) What is the short term future of my work in this [particular] job?

A2) #2(field) ==> #16(providing for) (line 4 moving)

Q3) What is the outlook if I commit to staying?

A3) #36(Brightness Hiding) unchanged

Q4) What is the outlook if I commit to leaving?

A4) #35(Prospering) ==> #23(Stripping) (line 4 changing)

Q5) What is the outlook if I don't commit, if I drift with the situation, for 3-4 months?

A5) #53(Gradual Advance) ==> #42(Augmenting) (ch 1,3)

Q6) What is the outlook if I focus on attitude over circumstances?

A6) #58(Open) ==> #60(Articulating) (ch 4)

Q7) What is the outlook if I focus on circumstances over attitude?

A7) #45 (Clustering) ==> #17(Following) (ch 1)

Q8) How can I look for help that I'm willing to accept?

A8) #11(Pervading) ==> #54(Marrying the maiden) ch 3,4)

Q9) How do these work questions fit into my life overall?

A9) #45(Clustering)

Q10) What else do I need to be aware of at this time?

A10) #8(Grouping) ==> #7(Legions/Leading) (ch 2,5)

Thanks, as always, for being there...here...wherever you, we, are...

Willow

binz

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Willow,

just wanted to share some general observations on life, re sorting attitude or circumstances.

I have found that if the (my) attitude is not right, then this is the important thing to change first. Once the attitude is in tune with the you inside, then it is easier to recognise the circumstances that will support and grow your happiness. I have in the past changed circumstances (in my case it was employer too) without changing attitude - result was stagnation and decay.

The trouble is how to change attitude - often changing circumstances has also changed attitude (a.k.a. character building experiences such as divorce, redundancy, etc). So don't rule out a change of circumstance unless sure, but it's nice to have an idea of where you are heading first.

Most recently for me, Reiki sessions have given my self the space to work out what it wants and I have attained a more relaxed happy attitude - now I'm building / evolving my 'circumstances' around this new understanding of my self.

Anyway, enough from me

good luck,

Binz

willow

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks Binz,

I've experienced the "wherever you go, there you are" stagnation (that comes with change of circumstances without change of attitude) before too.

Your formulation of the circumstances/attitude dilemma helps me very much to open up an interpretation of the answers to those two questions.

Each answer seems to say that if I focus on one (attitude or circumstance), then attention to the OTHER will become paramount.

Focus on attitude, (58 -> 60), and the situation will become one of cultivating interdependence, with the pivot point being something like the mind's (changing line 4) ability to sustain family (nuclear hex) connection that is deeper than differences, that allows discernment and distinction to support instead of block flows (60 as segmentation, not galling limitation).

Focus on circumstances (45 -> 17), and attitude will become critical. The difference between a group that is good for you and one that is bad for you is in your awareness that all groups can be bad, if only because they dull one's talent for grasping the gifts of the unexpected, and for staying true to the larger sense of connection that matters more than the specific successes or mistakes of a certain grouping. And taking an attitude of gentle caring into one's moments of release is the key to getting beyond drifting to following.

I find it interesting that the answer to my Q9, "How do these work questions fit into my life overall?" Is something like, "For you, everything is a matter getting the dynamics of the group right, specifically how the coming together lays the groundwork for the successful enduring and the healthyness of the eventual coming apart."

I've added an 11th question (don't worry, my astrological side is telling me to stop at 12!): A funny thing about Q10, "what else do I need to be aware of?", was that the very next day a key manager in my work group gave notice! Grouping and leading indeed! As I thought about the qualities of this individual, I realized that the most striking one is a wonderful ability to have both the big picture and the details in mind at the same time. So I asked:

Q11) For me, what is the key to keeping the big picture and the details in perspective at the same time?

A11) 56 (Sojourning) ==> 35 (Prospering) (ch 3)

Onward!
Willow

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering where you were - and you manage to come back in ten-fold. Welcome back.
I printed all your questions, and though I am no good at giving any advice, I will at least look at it. Who knows
LiSe

willow

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks.

Here's a 12th (and final Q/A):

Q12: How can I find my essential self in the midst of my responsibilities?

A12: #40 (Loosening/Deliverance) unchanging

Find your essential responsibilities, eh?

A

ann

Hello Willow

Sometimes I find the synchronicity of this site amazing, and today is one of those times. I've also been looking at attitude/circumstances and asking some of the same questions as you.

Looking at your questions and at the answers you got (especially in your first post), I thought that the answers didn't really seem to give you a clear direction. It looked as though you would need to leave, but not immediately. Is that how you read it?

Well, one thing I have been looking at a lot recently is 'what you give out you get back', especially in the work/career sense. Once you make up your mind that you want change to occur, then you have to do something to encourage it to happen. To give an example, a colleague of mine many years ago wanted to move 'up' from being a part time worker doing a rather lowly job (which had suited for several years because of family commitments) to a full time job as a 'professional'. She went out and bought a couple of good suits, changed her hair and started talking about what she wanted. Within about 3 months she was offered a new job within the company. Several years later she left to freelance. Now, you could spend a little time thinking about the qualities of the new job you want, talk about them where you are now and also send some signals out like my colleague did. You may then find that you move within your current organisation - or an opportunity appears elsewhere.

I'm not great on things like relating hexagrams etc, but this is what occurred to me when I read your post and I hope this helps.
happy.gif

willow

visitor
Reaction score
Belated thanks Ann, your ideas were quite helpful.

To update the situation a little, I'm still here, but I pretty much followed the middle path of "drifting with the situation" instead of actively committing to leaving or staying.

What is interesting is that, over this period of time, what I was experiencing as inner turmoil has broken out in the organization with quite a bit of outer turmoil - sudden unexpected departures, changes of rules, work direction, etc. Having more or less stood still, I've been transported to a whole new work context. The obstacles and opportunities have changed in the most surprising ways. It isn't clearly for the better or worse, but it *is* different.

Going over my original battery of questions again provides a lot of insight, especially using LiSe's commentary on the changing lines. Her commentary always seems to touch on the appropriate way to nurture authenticity. To be partway through a weird, confusing patch of unclarity, and be able to look both back and ahead through the lens of such notes is something I'm very thankful for!

Another thing I did recently was use Mick's Organisations as Hexagrams approach (here: http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/practical_I_Ching/organisations.html) to get a little perspective. I came up with a current situation of either #5 or #48. Waiting, or The Well. Interesting.

willow

visitor
Reaction score
Quick work update; new question/answer.

I mentioned above that I pretty much drifted with the situation instead of committing to staying or leaving - an approach that Yi characterized as
#53(Gradual Advance) ==> #42(Augmenting) (ch 1,3).

Much outer change and inner growth transpired, the dialogue and match-up between my essential self and my responsibilities is progressing fitfully, but vigorously, and today it seemed appropriate to look ahead again.

This time, just one question:
May I have an image showing how I can engage in a great deal of activity without losing contact with my essential self, with the purpose beyond the activity. The answer:

#1 ==> #42, ch 2,3,4

lenardthefast

visitor
Reaction score
Dear Willow,

In one of the translations I use lines 2, 3, and 4 are given as follows:

2) Take note of a person who is active in the field of your interest. It would be to your advantage to align yourself with him.

3) A new world of Creative Power is opening to you. There is some danger in this, for your energies may become distracted before they are stabilized. If you hold fiercely to your vision and integrity you will be protected.

4) Because of an amplification in your Creative Power you must decide whether to enter the public eye and serve society, or whether to withdraw and work on your inner development. Follow your deepest intuition and you will not make a mistake.

In this same translation, 42 is renamed Benefit and it revolves around making a contribution towards society which would involve benevolent behavior. ...and that the energy provided here should be directed only towards 'worthwhile' endeavours. In other words, go out and do some good, my friend.

Hope this was of some value to you.

Namaste,
Leonard

willow

visitor
Reaction score
Yes, I look at that line 4 and go, "Damn, hero OR sage; why can't it be both!? And neither. Isn't an Everyday Sage a Hero?"

lenardthefast

visitor
Reaction score
Dear Willow,

Errr, ...I think its because Heros are the embodiment of Ego, and sages don't have one.
bounce.gif

Namaste,
Leonard

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).