...life can be translucent

Menu

Is my asking price high or low? 56 uc

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I am on the brink of putting my house on the market. I've asked the I Ching if the price I am considering asking is high or low. I received 56 unchanging. As 56 is The Traveler and it is not changing I'm interpreting this to mean my house would not travel, would not move at this price. Does anyone see this differently?Or perhaps someone could suggest a better way to phrase the question?

Okay, I've come up with a second question. I asked the I Ching what repairs I should make to get the best price for my house. I received 50.1.3.4.6 - 19. Ouch! It's true it could use some TLC but those lines sound to me like I should tear the place down and sell it for land value! Any ideas? What does 19 mean in this case?

Thank you!
Rosada

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
I think you have set a good asking price that will result in
an expedient sale. Maybe it is a little on the low side, but it will move quicker. Let us know!

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I love the way you think! Sale may be months away but I will let you know.
Thanks!

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I am on the brink of putting my house on the market. I've asked the I Ching if the price I am considering asking is high or low. I received 56 unchanging. As 56 is The Traveler and it is not changing I'm interpreting this to mean my house would not travel, would not move at this price. Does anyone see this differently?Or perhaps someone could suggest a better way to phrase the question?

Yes, I'm baffled as to why you'd think 56uc meant your house would not travel :confused: Where did you get that idea from ? You asked if the price was high or low and the answer seems to be saying it travels, oscillates somewhere between the two. That is given sales prices vary, fluctuate, your house ocscillates between the two. The price is not a fixed thing, it moves. You have a price then someone will make a lower or higher bid and so it is not a fixed thing, hence the traveller.

Okay, I've come up with a second question. I asked the I Ching what repairs I should make to get the best price for my house. I received 50.1.3.4.6 - 19. Ouch! It's true it could use some TLC but those lines sound to me like I should tear the place down and sell it for land value! Any ideas? What does 19 mean in this case?

Thank you!
Rosada

Given lines 1 and 6 change I feel 19 really comes to the fore. I wouldn't be surprised if you had some kind of offer on the house soon which sort of supersedes your question. Looking at the lines individually it certainly looks like it could do with a bit of a shake down yet I don't think it will impede incoming offers too much. Perhaps someone keen on renovation will buy it if the price were adjusted accordingly ?

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I was thinking 56uc as meaning it did not move at this price because the hexagram was unchanging thus perhaps indicating that while I wanted the house to move, nothing changed.
Thank you for your interpretation!

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
From my own (reluctantly extensive) experience with 56 in all forms-- it comes up for me a lot when I ask career questions, and I'm still learning to appreciate it-- I would guess this is Yi reminding you that when you put your house on the market, you become a traveler yourself-- " A wanderer has no fixed abode; his home is the road."-- you are selling your home. Also, 56 for me is often a reminder of forces being beyond my control. It's about discipline and being self-sustaining...and realizing you are alone and cannot control your circumstances. You may set the price of your house, but that is unlikely to be the price it sells at; you have to take what you can get. (Or perhaps it will end up selling for even higher-- who knows.) And you must be humble and adaptable.

As for the 50.1.3.4.6- 19... I agree that's a bit, well...ouch. But the 6th line is lovely, and 19 is not bad at all. Perhaps Yi is telling you to merely give the place a good, thorough deep clean, and remove all clutter-- it needn't mean a total overhaul. Is there a storage closet or basement where you could stash all clutter in big bins or something? I've read it's considered best to remove as many "personal" items as possible before the open house and tours start-- especially family photos, knickknacks, children's art work, stuff on the fridge, religious symbols (even Buddhas, etc., unless you live in a very liberal area), calendars, and so on, and just make the place as blank and minimal as possible. The less personal the space is, the easier it is for buyers to imagine themselves living there. And clean is always helpful! I think Yi might just be reminding you about these small details (not saying you need a new roof...)

Good luck!

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you, Mulberry! Yes, I can see 56uc as a reminder to me that it would be good to have a plan as to what I will do next once the house sells.

B

butterfly spider

Rosada
You asked about a house sale some while back. I don't know if it is the same one but I felt impelled to answer this thread too. There is a link somehow

Hex 56 uc in a house sale - as I have found - is to do with stepping aside and seeing the house as a static lump of bricks. It is you who travels not the house. Your physical needs will expire before this or any other house and travelling is what you need to do. Once this notion is in the equation the value if the house is not important - it is the ease and timing of the letting go of the bricks that are important. For the traveller - or indeed all of us - houses are there for our comfort. The price you place on the pile of bricks is what you are willing to accept to let go of them.

56Uc when I put a house on the market - I accepted a low offer but felt
That I needed the bricks for a few more months. The result being that the bricks are now worth more
However - if I had needed to pass the bricks on - for financial or legistical reasons - the low offer might have been worth it

In my experience the pile if bricks are worth what someone is willing to pay for them - to stop travelling and settle. Put the pile of bricks on for the highest value - you can always go downwards

A friend of mine was travelling in Scotland. It was Winter and he had a rucksack and a tent with sleeping bag etc. it was stolen at a station. He had a lovely house in Highgate and a wonderful lodge in Suffolk. However he had nothing to sleep in and no means of getting any. He said that he would have given his house for that rucksack. The traveller needs only what he needs to survive.

Don't know why I think that 56uc tells me
To not worry about the price but the outcome - what you need the money for - what you are travelling to. Don't worry too much - make things easy and stress free

I am sure you are far more able to read meanings - but I hope this helps
Xx

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
56 can also be about fitting in with one's environment (or not). 56 is fire on the mountain. (Consider this my first attempt to try to make tiny use of trigrams - eek - take it with several grains of salt, please.)

Fire casts light on things; it illuminates. It also allows you to do useful things, like keep warm and cook (or sell a house). What is there about selling a house that relates to illumination, and fitting in acceptably in a strange place (selling houses is strange to most people, because we don't do it often enough to become good at it)? It might mean the sorts of things real estate agents do - finding out what similar houses near you have sold for recently, and basing your asking price on that.

I could be wrong (having no experience in this at all), but would setting the price too low be more of a problem than setting it too high? Do people bid more than the asking price very often? I suppose if they really want the house, they might?

B

butterfly spider

Just to say that I think Lisa is right - price it high - xx

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you for helping me think this through. Yes, this is the same house I have been wondering what to do about for sometime. It is rented out at the moment - perhaps that is somehow reflected in 56. The Wanderer, as in the tenants - The Wanderers - living there now having something to do with my decision. I know they would like to buy the place and it would sure make life easier if they could. It will depend on whether they can afford it. I have to consult with a realtor to find out what the house might be worth in today's market. So I was just curious as to what the IC would say about the price I was considering before I get the advice of a professional
. Oh and also of interest is that if the current tenants are able to purchase the house they have expressed an interest in turning it into a bed-and-breakfast which would be catering to "Wanderers". I'm not sure my "pile of bricks" is really suitable, so that would have an influence on their decision.
Anyway, we shall see. Thanks for continuing to focus on my question. I hadn't considered the 56.The Wanderer might represent my tenant and thus the answer might be saying something about their potential as the buyer. If that's the case I do think my tenants could afford the price I had in mind. But I'm not going to say anything to anyone until I get a realtor's opinion. Stay tuned...

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
It is rented out at the moment - perhaps that is somehow reflected in 56. The Wanderer, as in the tenants - The Wanderers - living there now having something to do with my decision. I know they would like to buy the place...

OH. :) This might be one of the very, very simple unchanging ones, then. :D

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Except...you asked about the price, not about potential buyers. :eek:uch: Even if your tenants do buy it, you still have to set a price. IOW the question you asked is still perfectly relevant, no matter what.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Good point lisa.
Also maybe 56 is saying, "Well it depends on who wanders by.." and so a clue to advertise in the right market?

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
I agree with Lisa's initial post, yourhouse entering in the market where it must find a way to fit. You are also in a h56 state, a newcomer who has to pay attention to the " culture" and the rules govern that place- real estate - before acting out.

B

butterfly spider

High or low

Rosa a
I too am in the throws of selling and pricing property. In the UK there is a notion to out the price low have a frenetic open day and then bidding by interested parties with best offers a few days later
Other estate agents opt for pricig high and then seeing - my preferred option. People like to think they have for themselves a bargain.

Small touches are important - no photos of family they need to see the house as they will use it. Jettison the junk and get a good friend to come round and pretend they are buying. I actually got my friend to be me and I then went along as a buyer. What on earth were the half filled shampoo bottles doing cluttering the bathroom. The unopened post was a no no too ..

You didn't mention the sitting tenants. Sometimes it is the ease of things ..
Just because the sitting tenants are in situ does not mean they are best placed to buy - wanderers may pay more.

At the end of he day the highest bidder is not the best option -

My take on the wanderer is that anything material is just temporary..
Xx

Last edited:

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Your question was about price, and your hexagram is about moving. I think your price will move and that it will be upward. Knowing you and your modesty, I think you will have priced it too low. You do not want a quick sell to someone who will buy the property just to flip it at a higher price.

. . . a second question. I asked the I Ching what repairs I should make to get the best price for my house. I received 50.1.3.4.6 - 19.

Hexagram 50 suggests the kitchen and 19 the front door. Since you are a kitchen person and spent much of your life in that kitchen, ask an impartial interior decorator friend what, if anything, should be changed. I have in mind touch-up painting, not granite counter tops.

Last edited:
B

butterfly spider

I don't think hex 56 represents the tenants - I think it represents you IMO
Xx

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
These are all such helpful ideas. I am truly grateful you who have put your attention on my question.
Real Estate is definitely a strange new realm for me to be wandering in (thanks, anemos!).
The kitchen could certainly use some sprucing up, Tom so thanks for the tip to focus there. And your suggestion about the front door fits in with what I've read about feng shui - if you want more people to see your business, wash the front door - it represents your face and supposedly people will see you more if you have a clean face! Also this house has a kind of inset front door and I have had other tenants who have put decorations - pots of flowers, banners etc. - there which made it look very nice. My current tenants haven't done any of that and I think it needs it.
Thank you for your thoughts Butterfly. Maybe 56uc is referring to the importance of having lots of wanderers and then let them bid. That would fit with Tom's impression too, that the price I was thinking of was low, that it might be a starting place but try to get bidders. Love the idea that 56 Wanderer represents me - as in wandering in during an open house and acting like I was about to buy it!
Thank you all!

S

sooo

Rosada, I think Yi is tossing the question back to you, asking, "how quickly do you want it to sell?" Obviously a low price would sell faster than a higher price, hence the term "fire sale". Fire upon the mountain travels fast to stay alive, depending upon fresh fuel. Therefore it may also ask, how much reserve fuel do you have? Can you afford to move slowly?

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Fire upon the mountain travels fast to stay alive, depending upon fresh fuel.

Did I have the wrong sort of fire in mind? I was thinking more of a small-ish fire a person sets for a reason, but if it's meant to be a wildfire, then I see your point, Sooo. Volcanoes are fires on mountains, too, for that matter...it would be nice if that is not the applicable comparison here...

S

sooo

Did I have the wrong sort of fire in mind? I was thinking more of a small-ish fire a person sets for a reason, but if it's meant to be a wildfire, then I see your point, Sooo. Volcanoes are fires on mountains, too, for that matter...it would be nice if that is not the applicable comparison here...

Wilhelm seems to have thought so.
When grass on a mountain takes fire, there is bright light. However, the fire does not linger in one place, but travels on to new fuel. It is a phenomenon of short duration.
However, if there is plenty of reserve fuel, i.e. money in the bank, then one can afford to ask a higher price and wait it out.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I think we're all going to know a lot more about 56 before this thread runs out...

I'm thinking how 56. The Wanderer follows hexagram 55.6, the line about the fellow staring gloomily out of his house unable to see his family or appreciate what he has, he's so caught up in the gain game. That describes what my sister who recently passed away got caught up in! She was the property manager for my mother. She worried constantly about the family finances and as a result was very business-like with the tenants. The last one's had to be evicted - and it really was necessary but still I felt bad (as did my sister too for that matter but as the rent paid for my mother's care she felt the tenants were users). Anyway, now it's my house and I have new tenants. But now 55.6 turns to 56.The Wanderer. So am I the Wanderer? I have wandered into this land lord home owner situation. I feel empathy for the current tenants but if I get too involved in their needs am I then becoming 56.1, the line that describes conditions before the main story starts, so a wanderer that doesn't get going because he gets involved with concerns that are not his own and thus preventing him from moving on?.

S

sooo

I think we're all going to know a lot more about 56 before this thread runs out...

I'm thinking how 56. The Wanderer follows hexagram 55.6, the line about the fellow staring gloomily out of his house unable to see his family or appreciate what he has, he's so caught up in the gain game. That describes what my sister who recently passed away got caught up in! She was the property manager for my mother. She worried constantly about the family finances and as a result was very business-like with the tenants. The last one's had to be evicted - and it really was necessary but still I felt bad (as did my sister too for that matter but as the rent paid for my mother's care she felt the tenants were users). Anyway, now it's my house and I have new tenants. But now 55.6 turns to 56.The Wanderer. So am I the Wanderer? I have wandered into this land lord home owner situation. I feel empathy for the current tenants but if I get too involved in their needs am I then becoming 56.1, the line that describes conditions before the main story starts, so a wanderer that doesn't get going because he gets involved with concerns that are not his own and thus preventing him from moving on?.

Fine, but your question was "Is my asking price high or low?"

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
:rofl:

Thank you!

(Note to self: must keep mind on reality, must keep mind on reality...)

B

butterfly spider

It is interesting thinking about the psychology of house pricing. In reality a pile of bricks in London is worth no more than the same in say Bangor (north Wales)
However people will pay almost 8x the price in London for the same bricks.
The value is not proportional. I have often seen beautiful houses and wanted to Lego them to other locations. What is happening in England is that people are buying up run down properties in good prime locations and then demolishing and building on the land. It is not he bricks but the land location that is desired. Bungalows from the 30s seem particularly prone with large plots.

An estate agent has just told me (yesterday) that young couples arrive for a viewing on open house day desperate for a house in a good location. The frenzy pushes the price up. Seems bizarre to me.

When I was about 9 my father left and my mother had a wonderful large house in a fantastic location (recently on for 2.5 million). We had nothing to eat and I remember having to share 2 portions of chips with my brother and mother - plus a small bar of mint chocolate. It was Sunday night. My mother was due to get money from my dad - which he had not given. The social worker came on Monday and looked around the house - she said it was worth a lot if money (£27,000 in 1965). My mother said that was quite so but she couldn't eat the bricks. My mother out the house in the market shortly afterwards. I remember people coming and my mother was desperate at the time. She put the house on the market at a very low figure - and sole quickly. The purchasers kept pushing down the price. The people were not nice and because my mother couldn't afford a removal van I had to leave my dolls and dolls house behind. My mother asked the new people if they could put it aside for me to collect later

When she returned the new owners said that
Their daughter liked the dolls and dolls house and that
There was no legal obligation to return them ... Patricia and Diane now belonged to the new girl.

Selling a house is a business transaction and the price (this is what you asked about) reflects your need to sell.
De cluttering is good and getting the mouth if the house (front door) clean and inviting is good. Kitchens are also areas to de clutter tips as are bathrooms. Don't spend large amounts either. The sorry state of skips with abandoned new kitchens adorns London streets...

I asked the same question just now about my house sale - more about if it is a good idea and got 16.4 to 2.

My friend was selling her mothers house about 2 years ago and I told her to add £10.000 at least to the asking price. Estate agents had suggested £565,000 to £570,000. I said try £585,000. In the end they got £580,000. Was this because they put it in for more - possibly. People like to think they have control - that they have a bargain - that they have somehow had the wherewithal to beat people and barter.

Of course it is all a game. We all travel on and the pile of bricks remains. In the process it is best to be compassionate and honest in our dealings perhaps - as we might one day be the traveller seeking a home. The girl who had Patricia and Diana and my dolls house (together with my dolls pram Hoover and cooker) went to my secondary school. I asked her about them and she said that she couldn't even remember them as she had so many.

Rosada I do hope the sale goes well. A very good friend of mine from University came from an incredibly wealthy aristocratic background. Houses land and estates went back for centuries. He said
He found the whole thing weighing and a burden. He travelled with one small bag and purchased only what he needed at any location leaving it behind for staff or giving it to charity shops. He still does.
How much is a brick worth? He would argue. Does a gold brick make a better brick?
We all need shelter - as the plight of the refugees struggling in Europe. My friend is working in Lesbos and says that it is all made so much worse by the greed and criminality of people making money from misery

I digress and of course you and I want to make as much as we can from our house - and I think that putting it on for a higher amount making it look as fresh clean and spacious as we can and going about the business in a compassionate and kind way - gives us the best chances of travelling on

Xx

Olga Super Star

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
When she returned the new owners said that
Their daughter liked the dolls and dolls house and that
There was no legal obligation to return them ... Patricia and Diane now belonged to the new girl.
What a man, indeed!

But they were wrong: What is yours stays yours, even if you've sold the house, and especially if you've asked the person to look after it.

Can't you go now to collect Patricia and Diane? :demon:

B

butterfly spider

Sadly this was 48 years ago and I am sure that Patricia (she had one eye missing) and Diane (she had a defect with her digestive system whereby the water that went in came out immediately) are no longer material
Beings.

However the notion of belonging and ownership remain. Giving a value to possessions (and houses) even pets- stops is from moving on. I remember the sadness I felt at the time the indignation and humiliation at knocking on the door of my old house to ask with my mother for the dolls. My Nannie said that perhaps the new girl needed them more than me - perhaps she was unhappy. She said that I was lucky and had people who loved me. That made me feel better I remember. At my secondary school the girl who had moved into my house was terribly bullied. She was a few years younger than me and said that her parents had said we were poor. She probably wasnt very happy looking back. Talking of value I saw a similar 'Patricia' in a vintage fair. Similar ( this one had both eyes and her hair). Chad Valley 1962 - value £189. Collect able.

How much was she worth to me in 1965?

Like the value you put on a house. I don't want a doll like Patricia now but I think at the time I would have emptied out all my money boxes and sold everything to have Patricia

Olga Super Star

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I can understand you as I had almost all my toys taken away from me from my uncle's wife to give them to their daughter who is younger than me.
I didn't object at the time. Although I didn't like it, my aunt insisted so much that it seemed selfish to say "no, my toys are mine" (I was a child!).

Later on I asked my cousin (who is now grown up) if she still had them and told her I would like if not to have them back, at least to see them. She agreed but then nothing came of it - she was always too busy and we never see each other.

Years later I asked my aunt about it, in a very nice way, saying that I would like to go through them so as to go through my past (I didn't say I want them back, I am just curious to see if she still has toys I remember). Well my aunt said it was not her intention to go into the basement to look for toys (she said that with a dismissive and a little defiant attitude).

I am waiting for her to die so as to go browsing into her basement - what a witch!

your nanny was very good indeed :)

B

butterfly spider

Yes my Nannie was a wonderful lady who sadly had very few possessions. As a child she was the youngest of 15 and said that shells feathers and stones were the most precious of her toys as they were given to her by the fairies. She said that they were worth more than anything you could buy in a shop as they were given up by something for our use

As adults (teachers included) we use the weapon of possession as punishment - depriving children (or adults) of them. Your aunt may get pleasure from not letting you go into the basement -

At the end if the day what is it for??

Getting back to houses and money and value...

It is all about balance - about finding the best way of moving forward. Of being kind and open but not being desperate. I think that we genuinely get back what we give. Once I lent my house to a friend who had just gone through a very nasty divorce battle and had no where to live with her son. I went on holiday in my tent for the summer. She moved on - she paid nothing for being there and had used my electricity, eaten all my food and had broken several things. I was a bit annoyed as it meant I had big bills. I felt a bit put out. However 20 years later someone let me
Stay in their flat in London free for 5 months. They said I had nothing to pay as I had done them a favour by keeping it warm over the Winter...what goes around comes round as my Nannie said

Sorry Rosada - it's just that the Wanderer or the Fool in Tarot is my
Card and I just feel
It is bound up with houses and possessions and value. You specifically asked about pricing your house high or low. My friend often suggested pricing everything at 1p. If everything had dual value - a banana a house or a car then the only difference is its usefulness. Spent many nights at Uni discussing this....

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).