...life can be translucent

Menu

10.1.2.3 > 33 A Good Lesson and the value of Retreat

Retro158

visitor
Reaction score
This response from the I Ching was very valuable to me and I'd like to share it with the group.
Recently, I was enrolled in a second level scuba diving course that involved completing a number of dives (in quite cold water.) It's something I've wanted to do, but is a bit outside my normal comfort zone.

The original schedule included two dives on Saturday, two on Sunday and then one on Monday night. After the weekend, I felt exhausted and very uncertain about the Monday dive. As my mind can do, I found myself questioning and undercutting the whole endeavor. "Why am I doing this?" "I don't have the endurance for this activity." "I never should have started it." "What a mistake."

But I was also feeling conflicted. I didn't want to quit and didn't want to disrupt the class by not showing up, didn't want to let my instructor down - yet I really didn't feel up to it, and diving is certainly not without significant risk. The result was a lot of stress.

So, Monday morning, I asked the I Ching to 'comment on my continuing the class' and got the following:
Hexagram 10.1.2.3 > 33

Hex 10 certainly seemed to capture the potential risk of what I was doing (treading on the tail of a tiger) and line 3 in particular seemed to speak directly to me. Here are a few translations that stood out:
"Do not undertake something which exceeds your strength out of an impulse of ego. Good fortune is met by those who remain modest and allow the Sage to make whatever corrections are necessary." (B. Walker)

"You are not suited for the ambitiousness of your goals. Your powers are not adequate. Willfulness on your part could end in disaster. Such conduct is only for someone willing to throw himself away for a superior." (RL Wing)

"When walking with tigers, 'making do' with capacities that are 'good enough' is not a good strategy....Bravery doesn't blunt the tiger's teeth." (Hilary)

Clearly the message was - 'don't dive tonight' - and I felt quite a bit of relief. I called my instructor. He was very understanding and said we could do it the next weekend. At the time, I wasn't so sure about rescheduling. I was still in the space of my 'powers not being adequate.'

However, the more I sat with Hex 33 the more the meaning of 'retreat' stood out. Retreat is not 'surrender'. It is not 'abandonment.' It is actually an appropriate and necessary strategy in dealing with certain types of obstacles at certain times. Basically, it says 'stop, back up' but don't give up. The next weekend, I returned to the water and successfully finished the course.

For some people, I'm sure following their natural inclination (too tired to dive) and retreating (pausing without giving up) is a natural response. For me, where anxious over-thinking just comes with my nature, it's been quite a deep lesson that I've continued to reflect on. It has affirmed my need to honor my own capacities at a given moment as well as the importance of 'pausing' or 'stepping back' to regroup in the face of some challenges. It has also given me a very clear experience of how personal the I Ching's guidance can be. I'm quite grateful...

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this experience with us :)

As far as I know Wilhelm and Richmond write about 33 as a retreat in a sense of taking a timeout before a counter-attack. So you are absolutely right on this point.
Yi card from yitoons also supports this idea:
yicard33.jpg

I understand your wish to go on and not to give up the plan, being a macho, showing other people that you can overcome any obstacle, that you are dependable and strong. Sometimes you need this feeling (e.g when you are being obviously lazy), but not always.
I think it comes as a protection mechanism for a fear of failure, which is ingrained in our minds by our parents and society. Oooh you can't fail! You must always get good grades and do well, or else! :) We will punish you and most importantly - make you feel that we don't love you. That's the basic fear - of absence of love.

10.1, 10.2 both asked to just trust your body and intuition. They could sound like go on on your path of diving but if you take the transitional method: 10.1 → 6.2 → 12.3 → 33

10.1 → 6 (Disputing), Legge:
Shows its subject treading his accustomed path.
If he go forward, there will be no error.

6.2 → 12 (Stagnating), Legge:
Shows its subject unequal to the contention.
If he retire and keep concealed (where) the inhabitants of his city are (only) three hundred families, he will fall into no mistake.

12.3 → 33 (Retreating), Legge:
Shows its subject ashamed of the purpose folded (in his breast).

Then it is a clear advice to retreat for a while.

Retro158

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your comments.

I'm unfamiliar with the 'transitional hexagram method' you mention and am intrigued. What is the name of the book by Bradford where I might learn more?

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).