...life can be translucent

Menu

Advice as I prepare for job interview next week? 23.2 > 4

T

tidalwave

I have one week to prepare for a job interview, which includes completing a small assignment that they gave me.

Advice of 23.2 >4..

23. Stripping Away
23.2 Distance yourself from people not supporting you
4. Not knowing... educate yourself

Well, I intend to do a lot of research, not just for the assignment they gave me, but also how to conduct myself and about the field. The corporate environment and the fields it's in are all new for me, so I checked out 5 books from the library today geared toward educating me. Do you think this is what it means?

T

tidalwave

After consulting all of my books and resources, I found the interpretations on the yijing.nl to resonate with me the most...

23. The wine skin and the knife

Lay bare what is in or behind things. It is dangerous when on the outside it seems all quiet and fine, and one does not know the inside. And when things do not work the way they should, then find out if there is something rotten behind the scene.
And also: the outside of things decays some day, but if there is a strong and true inside, this will survive and find a new form. The ripe fruit of the top line is not eaten, it will rot away. If there is a noble inside - the seeds - it is an improvement or progress. If there is no good inside - the small man, no seeds - it falls apart and nothing remains.

Get to the essence of things, let go of attitudes and behaviors that don't support you (e.g. self sabotage, insecurity, etc).

4. Not knowing

One has to care for the ignorant, the formless. It still has unlimited possibilities. Without it, life would die away by lack of renewal.
Blessed are those who have something of this in their mind, how little it may be.
And listen carefully to those who speak from out this unborn thing. They are the true sages.

Taken together, I wonder if it is telling me to distance myself from my youthful idiocy, from decisions that I made in the past that were detrimental to my professional life (being shallow, lazy, selfish, etc.) Perhaps I should distance myself not only from that mindset but also from that in the interview, i.e. let the interviewer know that I'm a different person now.

Another angle I have on this is that I need to get to the root of my complex feelings and fears here (fear of success, fear of failure) and come from good intentions and strength. It's ok not to know what to do, as long as you try to learn.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
As a meaning for 4, "asking the right questions" is probably better than "not knowing."
You seem to be on the right track with reading the books.
The Chinese original in 23.2 is difficult to translate, and this is usually done badly.
In general it suggests humility and adaptability. The bed's frame is like a rigid perceptual framework
(on which we get complacent and sleep) and it's a good thing that it's being dismantled.
I would think you'd want to present yourself more as a quick study with an aptitude and interest in the field rather than somebody who already knows what they are doing. I wouldn't be afraid to ask questions that are formulated out of what the books tell you.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of people never let us know how things went.
Please be like the other kind of people, and best of luck to you.

Last edited:
T

tidalwave

Just had the interview. I'm not sure what impression I made, but I tried to be open to the constructive criticism about the assignment I had to submit and to be very receptive. I had done a lot of research and was able to share my thoughts on the company, and that seemed to be well-received.

I think the Yi's advice was definitely about the interview... but what it didn't address is that I had a crippling cold for the whole week leading up to this interview. I was in bed every single day, to the point that I was even considering visiting the ER because I thought there was something seriously wrong with me. I wonder if that's some of the hidden meaning of "humility and adaptability"...

T

tidalwave

Follow up:

I was penalized because I didn't do the interview assignment perfectly. The interviewer was purposefully vague about the requirements, and I guess I interpreted what she wanted incorrectly. In retrospect I think this reading was saying that I should have researched the field a bit more, seen how the work is usually done, so that I could emulate that.

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
I think the 1st idea you had was the right one
23.2 Distance yourself from people not supporting you
Stay away(23) from this job.
--

Richmond:
The bed frame or edge is broken. No continuance in the way. Misfortune.

Wilhelm:
The bed is split at the edge.
Those who persevere are destroyed. Misfortune.

Interview will lead to nothing.

4 is like a tarot's Fool card
maj00.jpg

A carefree child sliding down a hill with joy, not knowing what will happen. Opposite is 49, being at the bottom, where the logic kicks in and one changes his approach and starts the ascent.

So the advice was it's ok to pursue this, but it's kinda silly and won't lead to nothing, better stay away.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).