...life can be translucent

Menu

Post-graduation options: 29.2.3 to 39?

hypnogogick

visitor
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Finally, after what I feel has been a bit of a long and winding journey, this is my last semester of undergrad. It's thus time to start thinking seriously about what post-graduation may hold. My main option (attend a three year graduate program at my current university that will provide me with a stable and enjoyable career) is quite doable. Yet, somehow, it feels... odd. It's the most immediately achievable and logical option, and yet it somehow feels strangely immaterial. Perhaps because it means signing on for another three years of living in my hometown when I've always wanted to branch out, explore. I have other ideas, some very nebulous indeed, but they come with a slew of mitigating personal and financial factors. I also don't know how easy they would be to achieve. Nothing seems solid at all.

So I asked Yi: "What do I need to understand about the options available to me in order to make the best decision?"

29.2.3 > 39.

Well then. I know it's best to let go of ideas of "auspicious" and "inauspicious" hexagrams, but neither of these are among the hexes I would like to see in response to a question like this.

29.2 of course emphasizes attaining only small things. Is Yi cautioning me against dreaming big, or perhaps against making big commitments at this point in time?

29.3 is saying don't do anything at all. Wait. I'm kind of laughing at this a bit, because I don't know how I can avoid acting in this case.

39 seems similar in that it advises caution. It also appears to advise talking it all over with someone more experienced. Wise, I'm sure, but if anything I get too much advice from well-meaning family members. Then again, that's a common sentiment among people at this stage in life, isn't it? Their advice just gets a bit overwhelming, and can feel a little one-size-fits-all at times--not sure if it's right for me, even if it's solid advice.

I'm just struggling a bit getting this answer to form a larger picture, especially in context. It feels like this answer is telling me how I should approach my options but not really telling me about them like I had originally asked. And even so, the advised course of action seems to be predominantly little to no action. It seems almost like Yi is saying, "Don't you worry your pretty little head; you won't be doing much choosing anyway!" It makes me think that perhaps something big will come out of the woodwork that I don't see right now--something that will either change my whole approach or make one option extremely obvious. I don't know--which is why I'm here writing this, I guess. :) I'm still very much of a beginner when it comes to Yi.

Does any of this speak to anyone? :bows:

Bourbonist

visitor
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to the itching but I will give it a try..
For me hex 29 says that you should remain true to yourself. So first off, start by choosing a major or a field that you love:
"Wilhelm/Baynes:The Abysmal repeated. If you are sincere, you have success in your heart, and whatever you do succeeds....remain true to yourself"
In my opinion line 2 tells you to go one step at a time, as you will see it more "clear" as you think it through.
Line 3... Are you being told what to study? But your heart tells you to study something different?
"Wing: You are surrounded by danger and you do not understand it. Any action will only make matters worse. Maintain your principles and wait for the solution to reveal itself."

Hex 39: I found this on the web and I think it fits your question pretty well: "When our actions do not realize our desires, we must turn inwards and examine ourselves in every point."
Maybe you should stop and think what you truly love. Until you have that clear don't choose any options.

Does this make any sense?

Ps.. English is not my first language, I'm sorry if I cannot express my ideas, thoughts properly :)

hypnogogick

visitor
Reaction score
That does make sense, thanks.

I'm not being told what to study, but I do feel some pressure to take the "responsible" path of going to graduate school right away. However I'm starting to realize that that option might be limiting in the future, as it would lead to a profession that requires licensure, which does not necessarily transfer easily to other places. This concerns me because I would like to at least have the option to move around. On the other hand, part of me feels like that's just an excuse not to commit. It feels like I'm trying to listen to my heart, but it's telling me a dozen conflicting things!

I appreciate your time and input. Also your English is quite good; you have nothing to worry about there. :)

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
What do you need to know about the options? 29 → 39

Let's look at the text

29.2 → 8 (Holding Together), Richmond:
The abyss is dangerous. Only in small matters can there be success.

29.3 → 48 (Life Source), Legge:
Shows its subject, whether he comes or goes ( =descends or ascends), confronted by a defile.
All is peril to him and unrest.
(His endeavours) will lead him into the cavern of the pit.
There should be no action (in such a case).

39, Wilhelm:
An obstruction that lasts only for a time is useful for self-development. This is the value of adversity.

Your situation is unstable, and you shouldn't plan something big right now. Focus on your hometown [29.3 → 48, and 39 (retreat, stay put)], go for easy goals.

3 years will provide the time needed for a better plan to move out, to gather your thoughts, to discern what is real.
Interesting to see that 3rd line goes from yin to yang(active), meaning 3rd year (from now) will allow activity.

hypnogogick

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you, ashteroid. This makes a lot of sense. I am not so familiar with the technique of finding resulting hexes from each of the changing lines individually, but I'll definitely be trying that out after this reading. Also very insightful point about the third line. You seem to have caught a lot of the nuance I missed.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).