...life can be translucent

Menu

Meaning of 63.2

clarissa

visitor
Reaction score
What does this line refer to? I looked through all the threads here and I couldn't find anything on it. The curtain is a kind of protection..which is missing in this case. However, the counsel is to move on without it, don't make a big fuss..because it's a small, rather unimportant matter, no?

lightofdarkness

(deceased)
Reaction score
"Line 2 -
"A wife loses her veil. Do not pursue it. [After completion] she gets it back." [Do not chase after things. Compromise. That which one has lost in this state(level of refinement) can eventually be got back in the next state]." ICPlus

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
"The wife is the minister, uncertain of his rank in the new order of things. The headdress, badge of a well understood niche in the world, is lost. Be of good cheer. Expect to find a new place, and perhaps to rise."
Freeman Crouch, I Ching: The Chameleon Book

clarissa

visitor
Reaction score
So, here we have a situation where after completion someone is unsure of where he/she stands.

(Would it be fair to say here that in times of "after completion" we have a new order of things...and new orders always mean uncertainties to some extent?)

However, despite the uncertainties...there's no need to make a big fuss, attempt anything rash or compromise in any way. Everything will work out in the long run.

Am I getting it?

lightofdarkness

(deceased)
Reaction score
FC,

hmm... *minister* in line 2? supervisor more so - the number 1 wife (not concubine) 'rules' the household; a minister I think is more line 4 (associates with hex 16 and the use of enthusiasm, foresight, planning etc all tasks to aid the 'king' position of line 5) - line position 2 is linked to hex 07 where we can link the veil/badge to the dynamics of uniformity in structure, look etc. The focus on a rulership of some form done in an ordered, unconditional, regimented way (that link to 07)

From a more generic position, if you lose your badge of rank it does not mean you lose the rank, and if destined for higher things, nore does it matter so dont sweat about it; deal with the 'misunderstandings' that can come with the loss but things will sort themselves out quickly. (compromise means when treated by a subordinate rank as if subordinate to them, dont give them a hard time, compromise, explain and they have the chance to 'adjust' their behaviour! ;-))

The court position of 5 maps to hex 8, with its focus on unconditional, passive attraction to the court/king - and so we bring out the 'controlling' elements in lines 2 and 5, ultimately represented by hexagram 29 (with containment, comes control).

The *changing* line 2 maps to a possible context of 06 (and so the comment on compromise).

The general aire is of movement upwards and so a positive development (yin in a yin place (2) moves to yang in a yang place (3))

Chris.

lightofdarkness

(deceased)
Reaction score
Clarissa,

I think we can interpret as things will 'complete' regardless of the little 'hiccups' that can cause misunderstandings, confusions of identity etc. Line position 2 has a 'control' element associated with it - and the analogy is about losing the 'badge of control' does not mean you lose control! - there will be possible 'inconveniences' but dont sweat about it, it will be sorted out in the end - and so completion will occur.

Note the uniformity aspect is associated with the ruler of the household, the "female", and so a LOCAL event more than some major catastrophe/'military' operation etc.
(if the general lost "his" badges it could be more of an issue in the context of the size of "his" house!)

clarissa

visitor
Reaction score
Chris:
Line position 2 has a 'control' element associated with it - and the analogy is about losing the 'badge of control' does not mean you lose control! - there will be possible 'inconveniences' but dont sweat about it, it will be sorted out in the end - and so completion will occur.

Clarissa:
OK, that makes sense. Thank you.

clarissa

visitor
Reaction score
Chris...

I see that I initially misunderstood you...when I said that one ISN'T to compromise. Now I see what you meant. The issue here seems to be about having the self-confidence that enables one TO compromise, and not worry too much about one's rank or position. This can only be accomplished from a position of strength. On the other hand, holding on to the "badge of control" for dear life arises out of a position of weakness. One needs to have the strength to "let go" a little...no?

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Do not lose your dignity by chasing after your dignity. Just wait, and the things you deserve will come to you, because they belong to you.

This line changes to hex.5

LiSe

cal val

visitor
Reaction score
Bruce...

funny *grin*

actually *giggling*

Hilary...

Thanks for posting Freeman's interpretation of 63.2. I've got a little insight into 63.2 myself from that interpretation. I like it a lot.

Love,

Val

clarissa

visitor
Reaction score
That's it..a week? Nothing more interesting than that? hehe OK.

bradford_h

(deceased)
Reaction score
Glad someone's paying attention Bruce :)
7 days also occurs at 24.0 and 51.2,
and is implied whereever you see
"Three days before ___ day and three days after"
It's also one phase of the moon, and I think that's the clue,
emphasizing "This is only a phase"
(the ultimate mantra for parents of teenagers).

jte

visitor
Reaction score
"That's it..a week? Nothing more interesting than that? hehe OK."

Hee hee - that is cute, Bruce/Brad.

So, wouldn't it mean something like "not long, but not really really soon either?"

And wouldn't the actual amount of time be dependent on the cycles for the particular topic? So if you're asking about earthquakes "7 days" might actually mean a few thousand years, while if your asking about the activities of fruit flies it might mean a few minutes?

So yes, as Brad puts it, a "phase" - so for typical human affairs, a phase might be, what? A matter of weeks or a few months typically, would be my guess (but again it's context dependent).

But these time expressions in the Yi have a meaning in terms of cycles of time, correct? Or am I way off here?

- Jeff

B

bruce

Jeff, since Yi is a book of metaphor, I think you're completely correct. Still, it is sort of chilling (in a good way) when the numerical metaphor plays out literally, isn't it?

jte

visitor
Reaction score
Yes, indeed, but in a way a few precise cases like that wouldn't surprise me at all either ;-).

- Jeff

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).