...life can be translucent

Menu

Homeward Bound? 23 and 37 and 16

JoeCampbell

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Dear Fellow Seekers

For 18 years I have lived in this lovely, rural country having moved here originally for love. Time passed, love changed and I stayed on, partly because I am not wild about change and partly because the landscape and the people and the values here do appeal to me.

But I am also limited here, and I feel myself stagnating, as I have done for quite a long time now. And so my attention has turned towards my homeland and the possibility of building a new life there.

My employment situation is such that I can make the move with my company (subject to agreement with the boss - who has already said informally that she would welcome it), so I put myself through 3 questions in preparation. I am well aware of what I will lose if I leave this place, I am less aware of what awaits me "over there" and either way, I am not taking this lightly. Eighteen years is a big chunk of anyone's life.

The 3 questions:
What should I bear in mind when I present (the boss) with the idea of moving in Sept/Oct?
23 unchanging: Stripping away, fruitless to have a direction to go(!) - so I must expect to be flayed (as Hilary puts it)? Or is it the identity of 18 years here that will be stripped away? D.F. Hook talks about " a physical parting. Making a secure foundation."

What if I say No (to myself) to moving back to my country?
37 unchanging: People in the Home - this is a mystery to me, I have no family here and very few friends although a great number of acquaintances. I live a very solitary life which I quite like, but at the same time it worries me as I risk becoming very lonely if I continue in this pattern. Is this about my family back in my home country - asking them what they think? Should I stay or should I go?

What if I say Yes (to myself) to moving back to my country?
16 unchanging: Enthusiasm - yes! I do feel enthusiastic (and more than a little scared). My girlfriend lives there, I almost certainly have a job there, I have old friends, the language, lots of possibilities.....but I know I will miss this place too. D.F. Hook again "repose in the absolute confidence that the action being taken is right". Pretty clear.

So my question to you is this - what am I not seeing? And why does there seem to be a conflict between 37 and 16? Thank you as always for any insight.

Michael

canislulu

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
In my experience in asking questions about two opposite choices, i.e. "This?" or "That?" I often have the sense that Yi answers the first question with either "Yes, 'This'...." or "No, not 'This....'" And it seems that the "That?" question becomes unnecessary but can add to my understanding anyway. I am not sure that this is how Yi speaks to you.

So if what you describe were my conversation with Yi this is how I would hear the answers:

23 --- your time in this lovely rural country is coming to an end

37 --- No. Don't say "no" to moving back. Go Home.

16 --- Yes. Be enthusiastic. And get some help with this.

But I am not sure how Yi speaks to you, Michael.

I find it interesting that all three questions yielded unchanging hexagrams.

Best wishes

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
What to bear in mind? 23
Losing all that you've built and acquired here, return to square one, discarding old stuff/way of life.

Say no? [Stay here] 37
Knowing your place, staying, bonds with other people, dependencies - as opposed to 40 (Freedom).
You've said that you feel oppressed and stagnating, well it will continue to be so.
The more possessions you have, the harder it is to travel. (61.4 → 10 Crowley: He travels fast who travels solitary! )

Say yes? [Move] 16
Enthusiasm, eagerness to do something new, but maybe a false one. Be sure that it's not an impulsive decision.

canislulu

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Ashteroid's reply helps me to see the readings as Yi not telling you what you should do, but simply describing the options. To stay where you are would be H 37 --- "home" for you being the solitary life you have been living with its familiarity. It feels "stagnating" for you. For someone else who craves familiarity and repetition of routines it might feel comfortable. And you admit to having at least a part of yourself that is not "wild about change." To move would be H 16 --- like "thunder" coming from the earth... You are inspired by the idea of moving. Your enthusiasm sounds grounded in some good things like a probable job, a girlfriend, friends, etc. It doesn't sound like a delusional "weaving of images".

Michael, I can understand your confusion about Hexagram 37 because you don't define the place you have been living for 18 years as "home". Perhaps "what you are not seeing" is that it has been a home of sorts for you for a significant time. So do you want to keep on keeping on with the familiar or prepare for something new?

canislulu

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
And one more thing. I can't help but be curious about the "girlfriend" you mention. I imagine you have been asking questions about the relationship? How does she enter into the equation? Would she like you to move back to "your country" or would she like the opportunity to move to join you in the place you've come to know over the past 18 years? What time is it for that relationship?

I don't need to know the answers to these questions. It just came to me as I was thinking about Hexagram 37 and your question about whether or not to ask your family for their opinion. Why not get input from the ones you love?

Last edited:

JoeCampbell

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Dear ashteroid and jumpingmouse

Thank you both very much for your insights, they make perfect sense to me and gave me also pause for thought, particularly around the "be sure it's not an impulsive decision" comment. And yes, I too was surprised by receiving 3 unchanging hex's!

Following the line of thought around being impulsive, I asked what I could do to mitigate any impulsive tendency and received 42.1.5 > 23 which seems to confirm the decision - strip away any illusions about how it will be. As I mentioned before, I am aware of how big a change this will be for me and how much I will miss the lifestyle I have had here. This has indeed been mý home for 18 years, and I do feel it is time to move on.

It is true that the opportunity to live with my girlfriend does play a part in all this (and no, it is not a practical option for her to come and live here), and so I asked "what are the prospects for our relationship if I move" and received 37.5 > 22 which, I have to say, seems very encouraging.

Many thanks again
Michael

Sixth Relative

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Michael

37zhi22 is indeed a very good sign for a relationship: harmony and hope.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).