...life can be translucent

Menu

46.6>18 Eye Surgery Tomorrow

galatea11

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I'd like to pose a question about 46.6>18, if I may. About 3 weeks ago I started having some minor (I thought) issues with vision in my right eye. On May 4 I discovered that the eye had gone blind. Three doctors have examined me and reached the same conclusion: a mysteriously advanced cataract is causing the blindness. Surgery to remove the cataract is scheduled for early tomorrow morning. I felt quite comfortable with this until I turned on the radio this morning and a talk show host was interviewing a medical professional (don't know credentials) about alternative treatments for cataracts. Medical professional strongly advised against cataract surgery unless patient has tried all other methods of treatment. Hearing this show seemed very strange to me. I hadn't flipped through channels - had merely just turned on the radio and encountered this conversation. Was this a sign of some sort? I asked the I Ching "What will be the effect of my having surgery as planned tomorrow?" and received 46.6>18. Amongst others I found the following interpretations:

"Wilhelm/Baynes: Pushing upward in darkness. It furthers one to be unremittingly persevering."

"Legge: The sixth line, magnetic, shows its subject advancing upwards blindly. Advantage will be found in a ceaseless maintenance of firm correctness."

Wow.. talk about a spooky reading - more than one translation specifically mentions blindness. I think I Ching is advising me to be "firmly correct" in following the pre-operative and post-operative care instructions but 18 "Decay" as the relating hexagram makes me a bit nervous. I would welcome any input on how I should interpret this reading.

I do realize that second-guessing an important decision the day before surgery is not a great idea, but hearing that radio show really seemed strange. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Wow it is in indeed a spookily apt answer and a good one in my opinion. from Hilarys's book

'In the dark pushing upward.
Fruitful with unceasing constancy'

I take this line to mean that even when one cannot see where one is going one must nevertheless keep on keeping on. And of course the reading is so literal for you. How frightening to go blind in one eye like that but I don't think the reading gives cause for concern I think it's just it's going to take a bit of time after the cataract is removed for the eye to clear, for vision to come back properly so you must not get worried or scared but have faith in the process. After surgery of any kind it's natural to worry if one is recovering as expected but here I think Yi may be warning that if you do feel doubts afterwards, well don't, be patient with it.

I also think this is a strong message to go ahead with the surgery without letting anything such as the radio programme affect you. You see the stress in this line is on pushing on through even when you can't see how things might turn out. This isn't time to reconsider your options but to continue on with what you are intending.

No need to worry about the 18 since that is the backdrop to the question which indicates here there is a problem to be rectified, the cataract, well you know that.

Everyone I know who has had cataracts removed has to use eye drops four times a day for a week I think and the full vision gets better each day. Mostly people are over the moon at all the colours they can see again.

When your attention is on something you naturally start to hear and see information on it all around you. I don't think you need worry about the thing on the radio. I do think you will likely need care and patience after the surgery and possibly some reassurance. So look after yourself well and if you do get worried or low following the surgery keep this cast in mind as advice to push on through even when it all seems dark, literally.

Good Luck and I hope it all goes well .

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
My uncle recently had cataracts done in both eyes and it was a great success. It was a very quick and simple procedure. He now sees better than ever.

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
My grandma(82) had replaced both 'eye-crystals' (don't know the proper term in English), quick and with a recovery of 2-3 days in a hospital.

But the thing that concerns me about this reading is:
what will be the outcome? → advancing upwards blindly[Legge]/A dark ascent[Richmond].
Like the illness won't go away? using too much force. It did appear mysteriously, maybe the surgery is not a cure after all.

If the cataract is not dangerous, won't progress further and cause more damage, then maybe trying other methods will do more good?

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I think 46.6 - 18 is a picture of how you are feeling now - going forward blindly uncertain if you are doing the right thing. 46.6 specifically says being consistent, persevering, not changing your plan, is appropriate.

Fascinating that you heard the radio program describing alternatives. I've found it often happens when one is about to take a major step - especially when they feel they have no choice - that another door suddenly appears. I think it's not that you are being told "No, don't do that!" but more like you are being shown that you do have options, you are not being forced to do anything - you can, AND SHOULD, choose what you are going to do. By taking the attitude that you are choosing to have this surgery you will end up being empowered by it rather than feeling in any way a victim or that you had no choice.

galatea11

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

Many thanks to all of you for the quick, precise responses.

Trojina, your reply really resounds with me. In 2013 I had two surgeries (two weeks apart) without taking appropriate time to rest in between them. I started working almost immediately after the first surgery and even managed to cause a minor car accident in that span of time. Car accident was only a fender bender but I do have scarring from the first surgery, possibly a result from overexerting myself too soon after the procedure. All that would have been avoided if I had just stayed home to rest. Aftercare instructions for cataract surgery advise that I avoid strenuous activity for 2 full weeks. Right now I have a strenuous job on my calendar for May 23 but I'm going to cancel it now. Thank you soooo much for your insights. I need to focus on healing after the surgery instead of being a pigheaded workaholic. It all seems so clear now. Funny that I didn't "get it" immediately.

Thanks, Topal, for posting about your uncle. My understanding is that the surgery is a quick, routine, simple procedure and it is nice to hear affirmation of that.

Ashteroid, I usually investigate alternative options to surgery but the first ophthalmologist (May 4) warned me not to delay the surgery because he thought the cataract might be starting to liquefy. Since I had insurance issues ($5000 deductible) his office advised that I go to the county hospital. After examination by two doctors there (May 10) the county eye clinic scheduled my surgery for the first time slot available (May 16.) Everything has happened very quickly. From the start I felt open to surgical treatment because I am experiencing blindness in the eye, not just vision loss. Blindness in one eye is not debilitating but it does represent an impediment to some aspects of daily life.

One last thought.. 18 did initially alarm me but I just reread the Brian Browne Walker version and it makes more sense now. ".. spend three full days in understanding the defect; another in resolving to remove it; and then three more days watching carefully to insure that it does not return." I think I should regard this as advice pertaining to aftercare. As Trojina said, the first week following surgery will likely be crucial.

Thanks again to all three of you for your comments. I appreciate them more than I can say and will update this thread with results. All the best to each of you.

galatea11

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw your post, Rosada. Thank you for your input. This surgery does feel like the right thing to do. Radio show pertained to some type of drops which supposedly heal cataracts. Interestingly, I just found a May 7 journal entry in which I asked: "What will be the effect of my learning more about healing a cataract naturally?" I received 52.5>53 and for some reason that dissuaded me from seeking more info about non-surgical options. I had asked the question during a weekend in which I was very busy with work and I was eager to go the county hospital but had to wait. At the time I thought the I Ching was advising me to quash my impatience and just go to the hospital when I could. Not to overload this thread but I had also asked "What will be effect of following original plan of going to hospital?" I received 38.4.5>61 and that made me think hospital was best course of action.

Thanks again for your post, Rosada. Much appreciated.

radiofreewill

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi galatea11,

All that radio talk just called me over...

Do you like to read?

Freeman Crouch's "I Ching: The Chameleon Book" says:

46 ~ Climbing. Grand offering. Use this to see the great people. Don't worry. South: attack auspicious.

46.6 ~ Climb in the dark. Favorable to stay up all night reading.

His commentary to 46.6 ~ Wu celebrates his victory in a fashion very like the Zhou: after celebrating, he immediately begins to read.

So, don't worry, persevere in correcting your vision, and all best tomorrow!

galatea11

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you, Radiofreewill! I do love to read. Appreciate the interpretation and your well wishes. Frequently the I Ching makes references to directions like "South", "Northwest", etc. Do you know what South refers to in the quotation you posted?

radiofreewill

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, galatea11!

The geographical area covered by the Zhouyi was occupied like this:

West ~ the Zhou vassalage of the Shang Tyrant
South ~ "Friendly" to the Zhou
East ~ the Yi tribe
North ~ the Shang Empire

So, by implication in the Zhouyi, when 'direction' is important to answering a question, then South and East are symbolic of allies (Hexagram 8), and Northerly directions indicate adversaries.

Otherwise, as in your reading, I take it as an advisement to review all of your options ~ like getting opinions from three doctors and looking at your alternatives, too ~ and then making a firm decision and seeing it through.

In this particular Hexagram, King Wu is saying that it would be timely for his "Friends" in the South to attack the Shang.

Good luck tomorrow ~ sleep well!

Last edited:

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
In feng shui the southwest is the direction for partners (Like the husband and wife's bedroom), the northeast is the direction for being alone (Like the young son's bedroom and study room). To head to the south is to connect with warm welcoming friends. To head to the northeast is to go off alone or where there is little outside support.

galatea11

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Quick update: surgery went amazingly well, even surprising the doctors. Fully conscious during surgery I heard them expressing puzzlement over something. The following morning one of the surgeons told me that she had felt "scared" going into the surgery because she had expected to find damage underlying the cataract. To her surprise my eye looked perfectly healthy - that is what she and the other surgeon had been discussing. Surgeon knows of only one other case - a female patient treated by a colleague - who developed sudden blindness due to a cataract which had materialized for no apparent reason. Cataracts normally afflict people over 60 (I'm 46) or those who have experienced an eye injury or severe malnutrition (which I haven't.)

My case remains mysterious but I can see again - vision was 20-40 in afflicted eye on the morning after surgery:) - and it is continuing to improve by the day. Think 46.6>18 was indeed a warning to me to be very careful after surgery because I have stopped myself no less than 50 times from doing stuff I shouldn't (e.g. lifting heavy objects, vigorous activity, showering without goggles..)

Thank you, RadioFreeWill and Rosada, for the explanations about directions in the I Ching. I have saved them for future reference. And thanks again to everyone who posted feedback and supportive comments.

galatea11

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words, Trojina and Thisismybody, I really appreciate them.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).